HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Holy Shnikees! I can't believe the wings stayed on going that fast. That roll was sharp and quick. Mine rolls like a real P-40, slow and big. What method or materials did you use to reinforce the belly for belly landings? I am actually considering taking the gear off of mine since my grass landings are always accented by a nose over.

Ken
No reinforcement needed other than a strip of 2 in. wide packing tape if you've got decent grass. My P-40 is the EPS version, and this works perfectly for me with no significant weight added.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 02, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:48 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condre'
What about placing one of the servos in the rear of the fuselage to counter the weight of a heavier spinner? Anyone done that?

Condre, what's up.. the servo would be impossible to access if it were further back. some people have cut foam away from the cockpit area to slide their battery back, and achieve a desirable cg..
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:44 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I just thought it might be an alternative to adding weight to the tail. I'm planning to use a heavier motor and spinner and people seem to say that's going to make the plane nose heavy. Sure, you would have to fish a servo extension wire through the fuse if you didn't do it before the fuse halves were glued together. I see a lot of planes with servos near the tail. All it would take would be to cut an appropriate size hole and glue on some liteply for the screws to penetrate.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:11 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condre'
I just thought it might be an alternative to adding weight to the tail. I'm planning to use a heavier motor and spinner and people seem to say that's going to make the plane nose heavy. Sure, you would have to fish a servo extension wire through the fuse if you didn't do it before the fuse halves were glued together. I see a lot of planes with servos near the tail. All it would take would be to cut an appropriate size hole and glue on some liteply for the screws to penetrate.

Hey Condre, Are you flying the eps version or the epo version? Epo is a little heavier..what battery are you planning on using.. i'm sure that anything is possible with foam if you are willing to engineer it, i'm just afraid that you might go thru the process and still not achieve your purpose.. if you enlarge the battery compartment you can achieve more with less, and also leave yourself wiggle room for adjustment... i fly the epo version with 3530 motor 2100 tp all the way forward in the compartment, and a 2 3/4 dubro spinner
AUW 31.5 oz, seems nose heavy flys fine with neutral elevator...

p.s. what motor are you planning on using?

ryan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2009, 03:59 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
well my maiden went ok for the first few minutes until I tried to bank her at a ridiculously low speed ... pilot error ... I wonder if my cog played a part too?

its pretty much ready to go again, I ordered both a new motor and a new shaft as it doesnt look easy to get the bent shaft out and Im keen to get back in the air!

enjoy :

GWS P40 Maiden flight with CRASH (2 min 51 sec)
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 04:25 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Hello est 1976..
your flight looked like a windy one, although your plane handled it fine..i do not think that cog had anything to do with your crash.. these warbirds stall in a slow bank like that, then torque from the engine takesover and before you know it your in the dirt, just keep your speed up in the turn so it doesn't fall out of the sky.. keep us posted good luck.. ryan ramsey
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:30 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Hey Guys... Check out my new blog

I am starting a blog and it is what it says it is... a warbird park flyers club... although currently, i am the only member. I welcome comments, advice, suggestions and questions. I plan to review the planes I currently have in my hanger and basically document my RC experience. Watch for lots of photos and videos, and my personal favorite, crash analysis Q&A.

http://rcwarbirdparkflyersclub.blogspot.com/
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:35 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
Alan, what's up? i think you said that it augered into the ground after a steep handlaunch, correct me if i'm wrong. i used to have that problem frequently with a p 47 when i was brand new to the hobby before trial and error taught me a lesson. my first issue was too steep a toss,which created an instant stall. the plane is not flying, you've disabled your control surfaces, and there is nothing but torque which rolls you immediately into the dirt. second issue was too much throttle. now i tend to throttle up to two thirds to three quarter throttle and give it a good level toss only slightly upwards. when i am doing a maiden flight i will also usually click a couple right aileron clicks to counteract the torque roll until i can get the launch and trims dialed in. last thing was that i was also tail heavy. all those things together, along with being a rookie, made for one long first semester in rc flight school. thank goodness i stuck with it. haha. personally I think it's hard to be too nose heavy. you can always move your cg back, nose heaviness will make it fly like a dart while tail heaviness can make it behave like a drunk butterfly, there's my 222 cents worth, good luck let us no how that steep launch spot works for you.

ryan
Yes I definitely stalled it but I think it was primarily because I tried to launch at less than full throttle. It is certainly possible to launch at lower throttle but full tilt helps overcome less than perfect throws. Mine has a 450 size brushless in it and moves along quite fast, maybe not as fast as yours but quick nonetheless. Another part of my prob is the pucker factor in that i am really proud of this plane and put a lot of work into it. like Warp said, now that the new is beat out of it maybe i can relax and fly it like the rest of my planes.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Aug 04, 2009, 12:06 PM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I'm going to be using a 1100 kv PB motor from my 190 that I'm retiring and a Rhino 2150 lipo. I think the motor weights about 105 g. It worked great on the 190 because I shortened the nose an inch or two.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:02 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
I got my new tower-pro 2409-12 motor in the mail today so I fitted it and went down to the field with 2 x 2100mah 3s lipos to have my second (&third) flights on my p40.

Had to self launch as my flying buddy let me down but I had my youngest son with me to keep me company, first battery was uneventful good launch, it was a bit gusty and now I have noticed on both the maiden and this flight (both a little gusty) that it likes to shake about a bit, kinda wiggling its ass looks unstable ... any reason for that? Is it the wind?

On the second flight today I had a failed launch now I got some repairs to do and I bent another shaft so now I got 2 x 2409-12 motors with bent shafts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:15 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi est1976,

I suffer alot with bent shafts with this motor , but they are easy to change

You could try shifting the cog forward, mine is about 1cm foward and it flies great very straight and stable (still will tip stall). Try that and see if the wiggle goes away overall it just sounds twitchy although in the video you shot it looked OK. If you make it stall at height does it pull up, continue to dive or even tuck under?

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:10 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
thanks for the reply nick, where do you get your shafts? is there an easy way to get them out and then back in again without damaging them?

I'll move my battery to the front of the compartment next time once I got this motor fixed its been as far back as I could get it so far.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:23 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by est1976
thanks for the reply nick, where do you get your shafts? is there an easy way to get them out and then back in again without damaging them?

I'll move my battery to the front of the compartment next time once I got this motor fixed its been as far back as I could get it so far.

HEADS UP RC, for just alittle more money you can be done changing shafts for good, their motors can take a beating. they come with a shaft that bolts on to the housing, i think it is 5mm, they never bend even after nose dives, 2 dollar shipping, 400 class motor is around 18 dollars, 450 is 20...the shafts for the motors you are using are about 3 dollars a piece plus shipping and the time it takes.. i used to change them all the time...I do not work for HEADSUPRC.COM i just can't believe how good the prices are, also quick shipping from here in the U.S. click on detailed description after you have selected the motor you are interested in and lo and behold they provide a detailed spread sheet about how that motor will perform with what prop, amp draw, pitch speed and so on.. they also sell 2409 motors and replacement shafts....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:47 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Hello everybody..

This post may be slightly off topic, but i just got to tell someone. i just got off the phone with the people at Horizon Hobby, i am trying to locate the EFLM1915 motor mount, it looks like a 4 leaf clover with the top hole being where the stick goes, anyway these are tough little mounts, and e flite is the brand name. They are no longer in production, i can't believe it, i talked to the sales rep for awhile and ask why things like that, that are so durable aren't available, also while i was at it i mentioned the fact that i could really use a p 47, and maybe a sea fury, i believe they also quit making their p 38..Of course the response is that they must cater to demand and that right now things are going smaller. i said sure but warbirds, these are history, there will always be a demand for them, she said they have a 25" brushless p 40 coming out, i said that's cool but what happens when the demographic switches again, then those guys can't get parts..ANYHOW my point is i wish we could all make a little noise in their direction, i don't think i'm the only one enjoying the 39" wingspan warbirds,GWS has started to do it,PARKZONE is doing it, and E FLITE was doing it, they had the only 39" foam p 47 out there, and i want one...Maybe GWS should bring us a 39" p 47. I'd buy it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:03 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
I know how you feel ryramZ, I had been trying to locate an exhaust header for my Supertigre engine that topflite makes (correction...made) for in cowl exhaust set ups and it is discontinued. What the...?! They still make one for OS engines, but not ST, why? "Force them to buy the more expensive name engine mwa-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaa!" Just kidding. I can adapt and over come, already have thanks to something I found at GreatHobbies (online hobby store).
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1