SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15
I think an even more novel concept would be to use quality material in the first place, rather than having customers consider a concrete cowl as a viable alternative.
I'm not going to say a word about QC or design!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,750 Posts
Frangible, easy-splitting, and warping in the sun have plaqued GWS cowls forever, and use of alternate plastics has been suggested to "GWS CEO" countless times. At one point, I think they might even have been looking into this, or maybe I just remember the idea being "passed on to R&D", and we all know where that leads.

Actually, the P-40 cowl is tougher than cowls for other GWS planes, like the Formosa and Tiger Moths, for example, but still not tough enough. So, before I even flew mine I epoxied in a horizontal balsa bulkhead in the cowl with a mating "strike plate" flush with it on the firewall when it's in place. I then carved a foam plug to occupy most of the space below the bulkhead, and cemented it in place with foaming PU glue (Gorilla). The result is a rock hard lower section which has survived several nose in events on bad grass landings with no damage. The cowl has dislodged and pulled out one of the plastic pin sockets on the fuse once, but that's it. Here's a few pics:
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 29, 2009 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
swede
denial15's Avatar
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Frangible, easy-splitting, and warping in the sun have plaqued GWS models forever, and use of alternate plastics has been suggested to "GWS CEO" countless times. At one point, I think they might even have been looking into this, or maybe I just remember the idea being "passed on the R&D", and we all know where that leads.

So, before I even flew mine I epoxied in a horizontal balsa bulkhead in the cowl with a mating "strike plate" flush with it on the firewall when it's in place. I then carved a foam plug to occupy most of the space below the bulkhead, and cemented it in place with foaming PU glue (Gorilla). The result is a rock hard lower section which has survived several nose in events on bad grass landings with no damage. The cowl has dislodged and pulled out one of the plastic pin sockets on the fuse once, but that's it. Here's a few pics:
Wow. That is excellent information. I'm not going to take any more chances. I am going to put some .5oz fg in there and do this mod too.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
swede
denial15's Avatar
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

http://gwsprops.com/gws_p40.htm

I just sent you a payment.

Thanks again for your great service and prices.

Dan.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero007
I just ordered the last remaining P40 Cowls from GWS I have 25 available. THese were hard to get and GWS keeps backordering everything like they sell stock and never produce more. I'd like to know if they plan on supplying parts?

gwsprops.com

http://gwsprops.com/gws_p40.htm
Hi Aero007,
These parts are available at GWS HQ in Taiwan, and GWS China as well. Just place your order with GWS HQ if you could not find out what you need from GWS USA, I'm afraid that it'd take months for the next shipment made for GWS USA.

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
skywarp1's Avatar
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Well, after 4 full flights on the P-40 today I say she's a great flyer. I had it doing rolls, loops, immelmans, split-s, stall turns, hammerheads, it would do it. All of this on the stock motor which is really sweet. I used batteries from 1300-2200 mah 15c in it and this thing just performs. I am very happy with it. I did loose one of my cowl snaps on a rough landing, but some double back tape held the cowl in place for the next two flights. Now it's time to dress it up and decal it out.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
Registered User
GiusedtoBe's Avatar
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Well, after 4 full flights on the P-40 today I say she's a great flyer. I had it doing rolls, loops, immelmans, split-s, stall turns, hammerheads, it would do it. All of this on the stock motor which is really sweet. I used batteries from 1300-2200 mah 15c in it and this thing just performs. I am very happy with it. I did loose one of my cowl snaps on a rough landing, but some double back tape held the cowl in place for the next two flights. Now it's time to dress it up and decal it out.

Warp I've been busy w/ work this week so my 40 has been sitting on the dining room table since my mishap but maybe I'll get to fixing it and strengthening the new cowl when the two I ordered from aero 007 come in. I was wondering what weight your plane came in at and how it balanced? Mine was a bit nose heavy even w/ a 1/4 oz lead at the back of the wing in the fuse so I am a bit leery about adding more weight in the nose.

In post mortem of my failed launch, I think it was a combination of poor throw by my ground crew and a pilot (me) who's been spoiled by planes that will practically hover. I tend to heave them w/ a fairly steep angle but that might not work w/ this one. There is a place here that drops off fairly steeply from the flying area and I think that might be the trick to figuring this plane out. The 3 successful flight I did have with this plane were awesome. Really an outstanding flyer if I can figure out how best to hand launch this thing. I should just throw it down on the ground a few times and ugly it up and then i would never have another problem!

BTW I got your PZ esc/Rx in the mail. Thanks

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Warp I've been busy w/ work this week so my 40 has been sitting on the dining room table since my mishap but maybe I'll get to fixing it and strengthening the new cowl when the two I ordered from aero 007 come in. I was wondering what weight your plane came in at and how it balanced? Mine was a bit nose heavy even w/ a 1/4 oz lead at the back of the wing in the fuse so I am a bit leery about adding more weight in the nose.

In post mortem of my failed launch, I think it was a combination of poor throw by my ground crew and a pilot (me) who's been spoiled by planes that will practically hover. I tend to heave them w/ a fairly steep angle but that might not work w/ this one. There is a place here that drops off fairly steeply from the flying area and I think that might be the trick to figuring this plane out. The 3 successful flight I did have with this plane were awesome. Really an outstanding flyer if I can figure out how best to hand launch this thing. I should just throw it down on the ground a few times and ugly it up and then i would never have another problem!

BTW I got your PZ esc/Rx in the mail. Thanks

Regards,
Alan

Alan, what's up? i think you said that it augered into the ground after a steep handlaunch, correct me if i'm wrong. i used to have that problem frequently with a p 47 when i was brand new to the hobby before trial and error taught me a lesson. my first issue was too steep a toss,which created an instant stall. the plane is not flying, you've disabled your control surfaces, and there is nothing but torque which rolls you immediately into the dirt. second issue was too much throttle. now i tend to throttle up to two thirds to three quarter throttle and give it a good level toss only slightly upwards. when i am doing a maiden flight i will also usually click a couple right aileron clicks to counteract the torque roll until i can get the launch and trims dialed in. last thing was that i was also tail heavy. all those things together, along with being a rookie, made for one long first semester in rc flight school. thank goodness i stuck with it. haha. personally I think it's hard to be too nose heavy. you can always move your cg back, nose heaviness will make it fly like a dart while tail heaviness can make it behave like a drunk butterfly, there's my 222 cents worth, good luck let us no how that steep launch spot works for you.

ryan
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:06 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
gws epo p 40 (1 min 55 sec)


hey guys, check this out 2 minute video, handlaunch, with a thumbs up belly flop, please rate this video, i love the 8" prop for belly landings, but not for looks..my motor has the high kv which prefers the smaller props my next p 40 has the same motor but only 1000 kv, i will run a 10/6 or 9/6 on it.. thanks guys this thread rocks!!

ryan

this is epo version 31.5 oz 2100 tp extreme all the way forward with dubro spinner, totally feels nose heavy in my hand but flys like an arrow with neutral elevator..
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Jul 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:14 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
skywarp1's Avatar
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Warp I've been busy w/ work this week so my 40 has been sitting on the dining room table since my mishap but maybe I'll get to fixing it and strengthening the new cowl when the two I ordered from aero 007 come in. I was wondering what weight your plane came in at and how it balanced? Mine was a bit nose heavy even w/ a 1/4 oz lead at the back of the wing in the fuse so I am a bit leery about adding more weight in the nose.

In post mortem of my failed launch, I think it was a combination of poor throw by my ground crew and a pilot (me) who's been spoiled by planes that will practically hover. I tend to heave them w/ a fairly steep angle but that might not work w/ this one. There is a place here that drops off fairly steeply from the flying area and I think that might be the trick to figuring this plane out. The 3 successful flight I did have with this plane were awesome. Really an outstanding flyer if I can figure out how best to hand launch this thing. I should just throw it down on the ground a few times and ugly it up and then i would never have another problem!

BTW I got your PZ esc/Rx in the mail. Thanks

Regards,
Alan
I can't comment on hand tossing this one because I ROG, but I still think mine needs a tweak on the balance. I balanced mine a little nose heavy using the battery. Unless I am using my balancer wrong, a slight shift in the battery pack fwd or aft moves the cg. I put the battery all of the way fwd in the bay and it comes out nose heavy. My next trick to keep it from wanting to climb is re-rig elevator neutral to slight nose down. I have to put too much nose down trim for level flight. Look at the bright side, you crashed the new out of it, now have fun with it. I wish I could tell you the weight, I just don't have a scale, I really need to get one. I'm going to take her out for another flight tomorrow then this weekend I'm getting some paint and I'm gonna pertty 'er up. Get that thing back together and in the air

Ken
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
skywarp1's Avatar
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ

hey guys, check this out 2 minute video, handlaunch, with a thumbs up belly flop, please rate this video, i love the 8" prop for belly landings, but not for looks..my motor has the high kv which prefers the smaller props my next p 40 has the same motor but only 1000 kv, i will run a 10/6 or 9/6 on it.. thanks guys this thread rocks!!

ryan
Holy Shnikees! I can't believe the wings stayed on going that fast. That roll was sharp and quick. Mine rolls like a real P-40, slow and big. What method or materials did you use to reinforce the belly for belly landings? I am actually considering taking the gear off of mine since my grass landings are always accented by a nose over.

Ken
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Holy Shnikees! I can't believe the wings stayed on going that fast. That roll was sharp and quick. Mine rolls like a real P-40, slow and big. What method or materials did you use to reinforce the belly for belly landings? I am actually considering taking the gear off of mine since my grass landings are always accented by a nose over.

Ken
it's the epo version so every now and then i just touch up the latex paint on the belly, i used to try wheels in the grass but with warbirds it is really tough unless you are on pavement, ..usually i cruise at half throttle and enjoy the more scale like flight,this day was rather windy and i just wanted to get a good belly landing without me in front of the camera..the 3530/480 class brushless will rip the sky won't it..
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:03 AM
Registered User
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
After many months of waiting to discover the vertical stabelizer that dematerialized into thin air when I was building my GWS 40, I've given up and ordered a second kit for parts. I don't plan to have a functional rudder and would like to upgrade the stearable tail wheel. Can anyone suggest an off-the-shelf stearable tail wheel that would be suitable for this plane?
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Aero007,
These parts are available at GWS HQ in Taiwan, and GWS China as well. Just place your order with GWS HQ if you could not find out what you need from GWS USA, I'm afraid that it'd take months for the next shipment made for GWS USA.

Chen

Whats the website?
aero007 is offline Find More Posts by aero007
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
What about placing one of the servos in the rear of the fuselage to counter the weight of a heavier spinner? Anyone done that?
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ****GWS-40: The Never-Ending Legend of Flying Tigers**** RAY GWS Product Announcements 2 Sep 01, 2007 09:45 AM
NIB GWS 40 EDF units bruff Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2004 08:39 PM
hypethetical idea re: a never ending e-flight Dax Parkflyers 7 Feb 20, 2003 04:24 PM
Flying Tigers AVG dottney Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Feb 13, 2003 09:45 PM
Never ending problems adam_jorgensen Electric Heli Talk 7 May 28, 2002 11:51 AM