HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Discussion
Should i get this plane as first one.

This would be my first big one other than my aero aces.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MODEL-CESSNA...QQcmdZViewItem

Or should i go with something else. Tell me what you think.
brutenight22 is offline Find More Posts by brutenight22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
If you willing to spend 100$.. get a slo-v or something instead.. just my 2 cents.. wait for the more knowledgeable people to post!
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy king
If you willing to spend 100$.. get a slo-v or something instead.. just my 2 cents.. wait for the more knowledgeable people to post!
Ya i was planning on getting a slo v but i think im pretty decent at flying even though thier aero aces and on the simulator i was flying a plane with ailerons and was getting the hang of it quite nicely. I like the slo v but it seems as it doesnt go very high or have any speed.
brutenight22 is offline Find More Posts by brutenight22
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
Probably not as your first 'proper' model. The Cessna is an aileron model with no, or little, dihedral to help with self correction.

Unless you feel you can fly good enough already to handle it and have built up a lot of experience.

If your a regular reader here, you should know what the usual recommended models are for a first timer.

Have a serious think before committing to the Cessna if you really want it.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:40 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutenight22
Ya i was planning on getting a slo v but i think im pretty decent at flying even though thier aero aces and on the simulator i was flying a plane with ailerons and was getting the hang of it quite nicely. I like the slo v but it seems as it doesnt go very high or have any speed.
Although simulators help you with orientation and other ''basic'' things, it will not really teach you how to really fly an airplane. It is much harder to fly an airplane in real life then on a simulator.

The Slo-V is a GREAT beginner plane, but if you don't like flying that slow, then I would recommend getting the Multiplex Easystar or the Hobbyzone Supercub. Both of them are about $160 and they are both RTF's.

Also, don't waste your money buying planes on Ebay. I would say there is a 90% chance that the planes on Ebay won't work. Unless they are from a well known airplane company.

So, even though you have a lot of time on a simulator, I would still suggest getting the two airplanes I recommended above. If you get either one of them, you WILL be happy and you'll enjoy this hobby way better.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:42 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Hate to say it, but if you buy this Cessna as your first real plane, make sure you have three things: a large field so you have plenty of room to plan your turns; a low-temp hot glue gun; plenty of glue.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2007
35 Posts
How about getting a GWS E-Starter? It's an excellent aileron trainer. Stable flier, cruises at low speeds, and can do loops and rolls whenever you're ready!

Orchard
www.insanehobbies.com
Orchard is offline Find More Posts by Orchard
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
Belmont, CA
Joined Jan 2006
588 Posts
That plane looks (from the video) like it may fly OK, but here's the problem:

After your first crash (95% chance it will be 1:30 into the first flight, 5% chance it will be 2:00), where are you going to get spare parts for anything that can't be hot-glued back together? You can't because you bought the plane off e-bay. And now you're out $80.

Trying to save money seems so important when you start (believe me, I did it too), but when it comes down to it, you will be much better off spending 2 or 2 1/2 times the money on:

Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF
Easy Star RTF
GWS E-Starter RTF Package

I would not buy that plane.
malibu43 is offline Find More Posts by malibu43
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hobby Zone Super Cub !!!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Avoid this plane. Avoid planes on e-bay. For $140 you can come close to building yourself a GWS e-starter. For $10 more you could get the always popular Hobby Zone Super Cub. Listen to Chuck.

And I don't know if I've ever heard anything bad about the Easystar.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
For $40 LESS you can get a Wing Dragon. http://www.hobby-lobby.com
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:13 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
I've just been thru this delema as rusty on flying, only few sailplanes not powered and this was many years ago, fortunately found sites as this one and the Super Cub mentioned fortunately bought this wonderful trainer with 100 per cent success, over 16 flights todate, no problems other than usual pilot errors, and this Super Cub is thrill to fly, 15 to 20 minute flights by lowering the throttle, do lazy loops, takes right off the pavement and still doing grass landings, told you I was rusty. its The Winner...Bar none..<>..

Have the Decathlon 480 and super buy at $109 but does not fly out of the box, less forgiving on the controls, now considering if to replace the motor as plunged it in too hard damage to shaft etc, did manage 4 good flights but will drop a wing quickly on your learning stages, not the trainer...like it for a 2nd plane, considering replacing the motor...

The Super Cub climbs quickly when trimmed right, fly in zero winds, I mean zero winds, occurs in evenings and very ealy AM'S, now fly in less than 5 MPH steady, gusty will give you fits..

So get the Super Cub and an accomplised pilot to insure success, my hands were full even with past flights...

BEST

WARREN Sterling, Illinois..<>.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:49 PM
Gil
20 mi. N of Baltimore, MD.
Joined Feb 2004
377 Posts
brutenight22

The T-hawk is a favorite in my book. AOk for a beginner in stock form, and a super performer with a brushless motor installed. Easy to modify and repair.
Gil is offline Find More Posts by Gil