SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:48 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Frank -

I am planning to drive to LI on Friday. I don't know whether to go early or late to avoid the commute/weekend holiday traffic. Any tips?

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:25 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
No Felix I am simply cutting in a slot throught the top and bonding to the foam and top skin. The CF flat stock is 6mm by 1mm and about 150mm long. Stock is bonded in with CA then the skins are reattached with 2 layers of 2.5oz cloth and finishing epoxy. I scrape out as much resin as possible then blot with paper towel to remove more. Its curing now.
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
I am planning to drive to LI on Friday. I don't know whether to go early or late to avoid the commute/weekend holiday traffic. Any tips? - Felix
Felix,

I would think on a Friday during the summer, early would be much better than later. I don't know if you ran into the same traffic I did going to CRRC a few weeks ago. But it seemed like they were evacuating the city. All major roads leading north (NY Thruway, 95 & Merrit Parkway) were packed. I would imagine that you may find a simular condition on Long Island as people escape the city for the weekend.

Another reason why I'm driving over early Saturday. If I were going over Friday, I would be going late morning early afternoon. Say some time between 10 and 2. And the earlier the better.

See you on Saturday,
Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:41 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
I have been going to LISF contests for the past eight years, twice a summer, now that LISF has a DLG contest it would make it three times a year... other TD/DLG guys are Phil and Mark have been doing the same, Phil the longest probably, if I exclude Tom K.

When I lived in MA we wanted to take Friday off, or leave no later than noon, the cross Island Parkway can get congested, as well as the LIE this can bug down North and South travelers the same, but for those coming from RI, MA, and Connecticut it can get out of hand, you only have two ways of hitting the Cross Island Parkway, and that is via I95 (Throgs Neck Bridge) or Hutchison Parkway putting you on to the Whitestone Bridge

Now that I live in upstate NY, my departure times have to bee almost the same as if I lived in MA. Sometimes leaving early the day of the contest is an option, more so for someone coming from Connecticut and RI
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:03 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Doug,

If you send me your mailing address, I can send you some SS .014" wire for the elevator... send it to:

info(at)flyecm.com

Jose
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:58 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
As for coming tot he Island, definitely get through Queens by 3pm would be best. It's not too bad here between 9:30am - 3pm, even easier if you have someone else on the car since L.I.E. has a HOV lane. Sometimes even that gets packed. If you come late, after 8pm is best.

Often I take the Clearview instead of the Cross Island, even though it hooks up with the L.I.E. and Northern Pkys father west. Since it dies just past the Northern and is for pasenger vehicles only, it tends to be the easier route to the major roadways.

Good luck!

Doug,

I think the carbon rods are .030" that is the typical equivalent size to what Mark recommends for the SG wire. Denny would be the best to ask.

Big Apple hobbies should have it in Queens. They could get it out to you ASAP. You might even check you local hoby shop. You justmight get lucky.

good luck

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 29, 2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
If anyone is planning on going to the field on Friday, please throw up a post or shoot me an email (fjn2bmd@hotmail.com) so that I know when to go open the gate for the filed.

Thanks

Frank
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:34 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
OK I broke down and stole a carbon push rod out of the XP-5 kit that's siting on the shelf. And I think I'll order some from Denny. I have no idea how one would ship just a few push rods. Maybe I can just pick them up from Denny at CASA. That would be a good excuse for going, right. Or maybe I'll have to order another kit to make shipping the push rods easy.

And so I don't hijack your thread again, I'll start another on putting pod to boom. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Here's the new thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720327

Thanks,
Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:50 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
I have been going to LISF contests for the past eight years, twice a summer, now that LISF has a DLG contest it would make it three times a year... other TD/DLG guys are Phil and Mark have been doing the same, Phil the longest probably, if I exclude Tom K.

When I lived in MA we wanted to take Friday off, or leave no later than noon, the cross Island Parkway can get congested, as well as the LIE this can bug down North and South travelers the same, but for those coming from RI, MA, and Connecticut it can get out of hand, you only have two ways of hitting the Cross Island Parkway, and that is via I95 (Throgs Neck Bridge) or Hutchison Parkway putting you on to the Whitestone Bridge

Now that I live in upstate NY, my departure times have to bee almost the same as if I lived in MA. Sometimes leaving early the day of the contest is an option, more so for someone coming from Connecticut and RI

I'm planing on taking Friday off, and driving down early.
After I get to the Long Island Expressway (If that's the route you think I should take), can I please have directions to the field from there?

At this point, I'm a bit confused.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
The LIE is basically the only way in and out of the islan, check this link

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...9305&z=13&om=1
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,292 Posts
Thanks Jeb.
I'm all set now.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:05 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
Northern Parkeay does parallel the LIE and hits all roads that will lead you to the Throgs Neck and Whitestone bridges via Cross Island and Clearview. You can take that too. L.I.E. does cross Northern a few times so if you wanted to get to the tunnels, you can switch much later on.

the nice thing about the Northern Pky is that it is for pasenger cars only.

Frank
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:20 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
I live in the New Haven area of CT and have a lady friend who lives the the next town east of Huntington. I visit often enough to know that I can save quite a bit of time by taking 95s to the Throgs (I295) stay straight after bridge and take the Clearview to The Northern State. This is especially true on Fridays when most are going to the South Shore or out to the Hamptons. I avoid the LIE (495) altogether.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
Guys,

I will be closing registration as of Wednesday evening so even if you are not sure you can make it, please register by then. We can always take you off the list but it will be harder to add you later.

this will help in determining the quantities for the food and drinks as well as load the data into the spreadsheets.

thanks

Frank
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:08 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
There was a PM about payment.

I personally don't mind you paying at the field but you might incur the wrath of Mr. Verriest though.

If you are paying in cash, please bring each change ($17 for one day, $30 both; $5 each day for lunch)

checks are fine too.

If you haven't paid yet, please try to get to the field as close to 8am as possible so Rich can process the registration as quickly as possible.

We are planning on a pilot's meeting at 8:45am on Sat. and 8:30am on Sunday
We are going to start earlier onSunday so that all the out of towners can get the best jump on traffic as is possible.

thanks guys!

Sincerely,

Frank