HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:59 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
All I can say was, 'Where did it go?' and 'that was fast!'. It hurt me to see it damaged like that.

Glad to hear it is back in one piece!

You beat my old record... but then again it is in a different category - free flight DLG. I launched with the RX off after installing an altimeter and it went up , apexed, and then straight down into the ground. There's another reason why you don't want a neutrally stable aircraft!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Guys,

I just went over the F3K rules and have the following changes that we will use:

Rules adjustments:

5.K.1
1. no official timekeepers - use your helper
2. Can use the same helper for launching and retrieving.

5.K.4
On launch if a plane hits someone -> zero for round
Contact during any other part of the flight should be avoided. Penalties of 100pts x the number of infractions

will be given for anyone caught moving intentionally into the flightpath of another pilot's plane off the total. Let's keep

it friendly....
so it is 100pts first offense, 200pt 2nd, 300 pts 3rd, etc. In excess of 3 incidents, the pilot will be given a 0 for the day for unsportsman like conduct.
After all, we are all out to have some fun.

100pt still applies to pilot for hitting anyone during any part of the flight besides launch.

Application of these penalties is up to the descression of the contest director.

5.K.6
If a plane 'perches' or stops momentarily in a tree or other object and then is flown out, time stops and the

place where the plane stopped, even momentarily, is concidered its final stopping point. If that point is on

field, it counts towards their score othrewise it is a zero for that flight.

Times will be scored based on when the plane comes to a 'stop'. Timer will not stop time if the plane contacts

a ground based object like a tree branch, grass, streamer pole, etc. until the plane has stopped.

5.K.10
No score/rounds will be dropped - all rounds will count

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 25, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:08 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
I am going to be staying at my Lady Friends house in Northport... I should be nice and relaxed by saturday morning... well at the very least a big smile.
I'm now wondering if she has a copy of the F3K tasks in the night stand?

As far as I know Ed will be in only one day.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jul 25, 2007, 03:39 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Tell him to register Killer! He hasn't as of now.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:07 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
...Contact during any other part of the flight should be avoided...
Hey wasn't there some sort of bonus points if it was the CD? ...fondley remembering last year... sorry about that.

"As far as I know Ed will be in only one day" Killer, I had some corrospondence with Ed regards possibly delivering a plane to LISF-DLG for purchase. And he said that he was going to some TD contest, I think.

Vulture
aka Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:32 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Right now it looks like Ed might not make it at all. Talked to him last night and he has other commitments.

Doug are we talking about Ed Byron? He doesn't fly TD, however If so I will get the package and deliver it for him.

Killer
Whos putting in 2-3 hrs a day flying.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Ed,

you will be sorely missed. I hope you have a good time where ever you will be that weekend. I was talking to the local guys as to how proficient you and Killer are for Sportsman and telling them that we will need to bring our 'A' game to even have a chance.

I hope you will make it next year and give these guys and other from out of town a run for their money!

Frank
Old Jul 27, 2007, 01:51 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Thanks Frank for the compliment, I have only been DLGing seriously since August of last year and have really seen a big improvement in my air skills.I have been flying for over 17 years and I am quite proficient in 3d and pattern owever Every day is a new challenge with DLG and I try to really push myself harder and harder.
Yes Ed will be missed for sure, he and I do alot of flying together and we have a good time with the lite competition. I'm gunning for Felix on this event because he has me by a few points and is ranked 4th. A sleeper we all got to watch out for is Jim Hahn. With him flying an Epona which is extremely light.

Killer

BTW is Klause going to fly? I have a QFII to give hi if he wants to try his hand a DLG.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 04:14 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Just got back in from a session early....not happy. This is the second time on the XP-5 fuse the bond between the pod and the wing mount have failed on launch resulting in a folded wing. I don't know if the kevlar inside the fuse is getting adhesion with the fiberglass cloth that holds the wing bolt mount. Obiously there needs to be a better way to hold the wing down in the front, One thing I can think of is a lip that curls over the LE of the wing ala Arrow or use rods that plug into a former.The wing looks repairable but I think this plane has bad mojo. Don't know yet if I want to repair this wing yet, too pissed off. Right wing folded 2" from the root and the left wing popped the kevlar about 20" from root. The folded right wing broke the CF right through on the top half. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Killer
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:33 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Tell me about it. I will be repairing Paul Bell's plane today - same kind of damage.

Wing folded stright up about 1-2 inches from the root. At first, it looks bad but on further inspection by myself and others it should be very repairable. Come over, you can be next on line!!!

If you need supplies and want to come down friday, I have bagging supplies and 5yds of the unicarbon Phil was selling and a bunch of 1.7oz kevlar so we should be able to fix it. Call me if you want to do this or will need access to the stuff. Worse come to worse we fix it Sat. night and you fly it at the next contest in Md. 2weeks later.

Frank

Frank
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Frank,

Sorry if this ends up being a bit off topic. But it does have to do with practicing for LISF-DLG. And I thought I would give you a bump to help advertise. Remember any publicity is good publicity.

Man all this talk about practicing. And tales of monster launches that break the plane! I figured I should get out today and practice. Weather forecast was for rain and thunderstorms. But by noon it wasn't looking too bad. So I figured I'd get some practice in anyway, regardless of the forecast, and work on my launches too. Not that my launch would ever break a plane.

Well my launches were starting to look pretty good. Really need to work on consistency. So I'm trying a little more power. And then something seemed to snap on a launch. And it didn't go very high. All controls worked. I checked everything out and everything seemed okay.

I tried a few easy launches but something seemed to vibrate on launch. Checked it out some more. And the only thing I could find was the left aileron servo seemed to have come loose. The side with the launching blade. Being that it was late in the day. I figured I'd just take it home and check it out real good at home.

So I checked it out when I got home. I took the tape off of the aileron servo and reglued it with some foam safe CA. Couldn't find anything else (may not have been looking in the right places ). It's about 8 and I figured I would take it to the local school yard and get a few flights in to check it out.

Another easy launch and still something feels or sounds loose on launch. I checked the left aileron again. And the hinge seemed loose out towards the tip. So I tried some packing tape on the hinge. And with another easy launch something is still loose. I checked all of my flight control surfaces and they all appeared to be okay.

I tried another easy launch and something is still loose. One more easy launch and I loose my elevator control! Fortunately it was not too high and it pretty much just stalled a few times coming down before it hit the ground. Now I had checked the elevator before and it was solid. And now it's just flapping in the breese. So it's really got me stumped.

Walking back to the car, I casually wiped the nose on the grass to wipe a little bit of mud off. That's when I finally found the real problem. The pod to tail boom glue joint had broken! Of course that explains something being a bit loose on launch. And continuing to launch I finally broke the carbon pushrod.

So I have a couple of questions. Is the pod to tail boom joint just CA'd? And do I just line it up the best I can and hit it with some more CA? And number two what size carbon pushrods are used on an XP4.5? And where might I get them?

So much for practice. But my launches were getting better until...

Looking forward to next weekend and having another great time out at the LISF-DLG you chuck'em and chase'em.

Doug
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:31 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Doug I have used CA and clamped when a tailboom pops a bit. You can always cap the boom with a layer of FG cloth and CA to pod.

I got a chance to spend a few hours today repairing the wing and she will hold up, just won't be as light, straight or pretty. I'll test her out this week when done. I repaired the major damage by splicing in two 7" flat carbon rod into wing with foam safe CA and then spooged over rough areas with expoxy and micro ballons. Will finish sand and cover with a layer of glass. Have to still fix hinge lines and left outboard panel with a carbon flat rod and CA. This plane is quickly becoming a windy day plane for sure.

Killer
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAir
Doug I have used CA and clamped when a tailboom pops a bit. You can always cap the boom with a layer of FG cloth and CA to pod.
Killer thanks for the repair tip. Is a tailboom "popping" something that's happens often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAir
...This plane is quickly becoming a windy day plane for sure.
Killer
Sounds like you'll be ready for LISF.

Doug
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:07 AM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Can't say common but it has happened to me.
And yes I'll be ready for LISF cause I have a #2 which is now #1
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Killer, sorry to hear about the wing but glad you are able to fix it though. When you embed the flat carbon stock to bridge the gap, are you bonding it to the top and bottom skins aka weblets?

I just finished repairing damage to my plane from an unfortunate midair with a F1A towline glider during the week.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster