SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Guys,

As promised, I have the tasks for each day of the contest. All of them are from the official F3K rules except one, Task A. Mark flew it at CRRC and I kind of liked the added challenge of needing to keep track of your time more closely. On numerous occasions, pilots were losing 20 + seconds just because they came down short of a multiple of 30 seconds (times are truncated to the next lower 30 seconds, ex 1:29 -> 1 min, 1:35 -> 1:30, etc.). the tasks were chosen based on anticipated time of day that round might be flown and anticipated conditions for that time.

I hope that it will produce a fun yet challenging contest. Remember that this list could change based on field conditions. If anyone feels that improvements/alterations could be made, feel free to send them to me.

Sat 4th:
round 1: Task H - incr time by 15 sec
2: Task M - 5 x 2min max
3: Task E - All up last down 3min max
4: Task P - 1,2,3,4 min max
5: Task J - 3 of 6 throws; 3min max
6: Task I - Poker - timer will not be official but will try to have an official on field
7: Task B - Last Flight 5 min max
8: Task J Modified - 3 of 4 throws; 3min max
9: Task C - Last 2 flights 4 min max
10: Task E - All up last down 3 min max

Sun 5th
round 1: Task A - (provisional) 30 second multiples
2: Task I - Poker
3: Task C - Last 2 flights
4: Task E - All up last down
5: Task B - Last Flight 5 min max
6: Task J - 3 of 6; 3 min max
7: Task P - 1,2,3,4 min max

I will ask everyone attending to try to get to the field ASAP on Sunday so we can start a bit earlier. I would like to give everyone who has traveled the earliest departure possible. If everyone is there, we would liek to start by 8:30 am. If this is a problem, please notify me and I can make arrangements.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Frank N.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
All of them are from the official F3K rules except one, Task A. Mark flew it at CRRC and I kind of liked the added challenge of needing to keep track of your time more closely.
My "Task A" was exactly equivalent to the official F3K Task A. My Task A was total time in units of 30 seconds, while the official Task A awards 1 point for each 30 seconds. After normalizing to 1000, both methods will give identical scores. I went with my approach because it's a lot easier to explain in one line on the scoring sheet.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:09 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Mark, the file I got for the official rules had Task A skipped.

I must have read the post wrong. this thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...cial+F3K+rules) posting 43 and 44 said that the ANNEX was the official set of rules.

I must have been confused

Phil posted them here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11

Is the ANNEX just the list of changes or are they the complete set? The other set is listed as provisional so I listed that task that way. Sorry for the confusion Mark.

Could someone clarify this for me?

Are they the wrong ones???

Frank
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:29 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
Task A was included in the provisional F3K rules and tasks. The provisional F3K rules and tasks were (or will be soon) replaced by the official F3K rules and tasks. The official task list does not include Task A.

Of course you, as the CD, can decide to fly whatever task you choose whether it be from the old provisional tasks, the new official tasks or something else entirely.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,362 Posts
Hey Frank

Really sorry Dude but I'm not going to make it this year. Yer gonna have to go out to the airport and have a steak for me:-) I will be in Muncie most of the week for the electric nats and there's just no way.

You guys will be missing a great contest if you don't make this one!! We had a great time last year. Probably best I do stay home and give Phil and Mark a chance any way:-)

FWIW, I think you should be willing to announce your poker task loud enough that you can't fudge it unless you can provide "official" timers all the way around

Tell Sarafina hi for us!
dennymaize is online now Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Denny,

That's what I was planning and what the club has been practicing.

Poker will need to be done aloud. The official or two on the field will need to be able to hear it. We'll go into detail into this at the pilot's meeting.

Sorry to hear you can't make it. You might be missing the birth of my first! It is going to be close!

For those of you who have been, there a restaraunt called '56th Fighter Squadron' that is all decked out in WW II stuff and is located right on Republic Airport on Rt 110 Farmingdale. Good continental food and the ambiance is great. Best get a table around sunset and you can watch the planes take off and land.

Frank

Thanks Phil for the clarification. Wherever the task came from, I thought it was great that Mark had it at CRRC! It was lots of fun. I always go there and find inspiration that I try to implement at our contest for the participants to enjoy. thank Mark for introducing it to me. It will be included on Sunday. Where would I be without you guys!!

Frank
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Ok guys,

I have scoped out a great burger joint you just have to try.

It's called 'Cheeburger Cheeburger' (tel:516-939-2237) located at 12 Manetto Hill Rd in Plainview (take Northern or LIE one exit past Rt 135 to Manetto Hill Rd. and head south. I think it is in the Fairway supermarket lot to the left of the supermarket. Either way, the place is located on the right side (west side of the road) of Manetto Hill Rd.

Here's a link to the menu:
http://www.cheeburger.com/menu.asp

they make the best burgers! I recall that they were in the top 10 in the country from some survey I had read. Reasonable prices. you cna have almost anything you want on a burger - artichokes, Portobello mushrooms, multiple kinds of cheese, roasted red peppers, chili sauce.

they offer them in 5.5, 7, 10, 14 oz. and 1 lb burgers. I got the 7 and with all the topping had a hard time finishing them.

They also make custom sodas with your choice of syrup, 20 - 40 different malts and shakes, egg creams, floats and what not.

they also have salads, and turkey and chicken burgers.

It will take some of you back to your childhood!

Enjoy! I know I did!

Frank
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,475 Posts
Looking to go to Long Island but need a ride!
Anyone coming near Baltimore who could give me a lift up and back?
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
I guess we should team up for the drive. Were you thinking about driving up Friday after work? There is always the crazy option of driving up VERY early on Saturday morning which saves one night's hotel expenses. It would be about a four hour drive from your house.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,475 Posts
I'm easy, whatever works! Thanks.
I'll call ya!
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Jul 23, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
I finally booked my hotel room at Best Western. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...sablenav=false For those that still need to book a room. Not only is it the closest to the field. They have an Internet rate @ $106 which is a pretty good rate for the area. With taxes and all it came to $118 and change.

Frank I'm looking forward to having a great time like last year. Thanks for putting on a great DLG contest. I hope that Sara is doing well enough to come out to the field. Tell her I said hello. I'm also looking forward to seeing old friends and new on Long Island. See you on the 4th.

Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Doug,

thanks for the kind words and the update on hotels. I am sure out of towners will appreciate the info.

Frank
Old Jul 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Guys,

I would like to make sure that everyone knows that we will be following the F3K official rules to the letter or as much as possible. I am including them here.

Later I will post the exceptions to the rules, such as official timers for the poker rounds.

I will describe the change to the Poker rules now. We will use your timer for recording the 5 called flight times and to make sure you are honest. If there are extra members, I am looking to have an official on the field that can do spot checking. I am also requiring that all calls be made aloud, none of this shy stuff. Someone else must be capable of hearing what time you are attempting next.

For those new to F3K rules, please contact me with any questions on them you might have. I will try to answer them and if I cannot I will approach higher authorities to obtain a proper response.

we will not be having an impound for the transmitters. The only frequency conflict so far has been approached and will not be an issue (Rich said that he will move to CH:23 so Kevin, CH:33 is yours).

I will update everyone at the pilot's meeting as to the status of this again.

See you guys soon!

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Jul 25, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:18 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
We are getting close....guess I should really sort out my wing harness so I can get some flying in .

Phil,
The Saturday morning thing may be the least tramatizing . Having lived on LI and now in CT all I can say is that traffic is terrible on Friday night. Last week it took my wife and I 2:40 to get down to the island and the drive is usually just over an hour......makes me want to move too kansas.

Killer,
You and Ed going to commute or stay over night? If you are staying I know of a few watering holes that I use to spend a lot of time at , anyone else who is thirsty is more then welcome to join.

Wee you all next weekend.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:37 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Wee you all next weekend.

Cheers,
Jim
Hmmm!

I just finished gluing back together the Taboo I dorked at the CRRC contest. Launch, inside looped overhead into the ground. Just inbounds and didn't hit anyone. So it was probably the shortest recorded flight, right Frank?

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster