Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:47 AM
Ron Paul - 2008
Joined Jun 2007
103 Posts
Discussion
maintaining altitude with HB FP

I've been learning to fly a HB FP 3 and while I can hover tail in well, side in OK, front in not at all (lol), and fly circles (as long as I keep the tail pointed roughly in my direction). But I have noticed its kind of difficult to maintain altitude while hovering and much more so while moving the heli around. I'm assuming this is due to slight winds generating lift on the blades, and a loss of lift when tilting the blades to move the heli around.

My question though is does this happen on all the heli's or will the more advanced and slightly larger CP heli's hold altitude better and drift (tail drift especially) less? I've been tempted to buy a Trex 450 and Spectrum DX7 so I guess I'm looking for excuses

bp
bp_968 is offline Find More Posts by bp_968
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:02 AM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
did you get rid of the ratchet on the TX? sometimes that causes some bad throttle control.

Later
Eric
helitaiwan963 is offline Find More Posts by helitaiwan963
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it happens with all electic helis. When you turn it's taking power away from the main motor.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
It happens on all electric helis. The CP models respond much faster to altitude control and that makes the difference. Usually a moderate forward speed keeps my FP flying smoother, and you need to remember to slowly advance the throttle as you slow down to keep from dropping.

CH
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,498 Posts
Slight wind gusts will definitely cause the FP to climb, and sometimes they will "push" it down as well. Maintaining a constant altitude is more challenging with a FP heli, compared to a CP, because you have to rely on the main rotor to speed up or slow down in response to your throttle changes. This lag makes you basically have to "think ahead" of the heli, where a CP reacts to changes much quicker since you are actually changing the pitch of the main blades, rather than the rotor speed. Banking the heli also requires more pitch/power to maintain altitude, since you've changed the angle of the lift vector from vertical. This is common to all helis, not just electrics.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:22 AM
Ron Paul - 2008
Joined Jun 2007
103 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.
bp_968 is offline Find More Posts by bp_968