HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
Discussion
plane ID please

This Bipe belongs to a friend of mine and we are trying to find some info on it.The top wing span is 53" and the bottom is 50".Length of plane is about 40".It has a unique rudder which is usually seen on aerobatic planes.It is missing the wing struts (i think thats what they are called) on the ends of the wings.Looks to be an older kit.Also,what can i do about finding some wing struts to fit.Thanks.
punkin438 is offline Find More Posts by punkin438
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,538 Posts
Looks like a SIG Hog Bipe to me.

http://www.sigmfg.com
CustomPC is online now Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
Favors a hog but only has ailerons on bottom wing and what about that crazy rudder!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
No other ideas?I need suggestions for replacing the wing struts or supports out toward the end of the wings.Also how would you find a cowl for such a plane?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:32 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
Definately not a hog, I does resemble a Lazy Ace bipe but I don't think they made one that small and the swept back top wing would be straight if it was a LA. It might be a scratch built plane or a modified kit, That rudder does not look like a stock configuration. I forget what it is called but on aerobatic planes it serves to balence out the pressure when turning in extremes like in a knife edge.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
I got it back out last night and gave it another good look and i believe the rudder has been retrofitted.Definately an old kit of some kind or scratch built as you said.If i can configure some kind of supports out on the wings i will be good to go.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:53 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,437 Posts
What makes you think it needs inter-plane struts (the correct term for what I think you're talking about )? Are there attachments points for them in the wings?

So long as the wings are both firmly attached, without top ailerons the wings don't need to be held in place relative to each other, which I believe is the main purpose of inter-plane struts. My SIG Liberty Sport, for instance, has struts for show but they're far too flimsy to fly with. So, if there's no evidence of previous attachment points, I wouldn't bother with struts
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
It has holes in the wing and shows signs of having the inter-plane struts.But upon further inspection the holes in the wings are not threaded so maybe they were there for show only.Thanks abenn.I have a better understanding now.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:10 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin438
No other ideas?I need suggestions for replacing the wing struts or supports out toward the end of the wings.Also how would you find a cowl for such a plane?
If you enjoy modeling you can make them.
There is much info in these forums how to.

Otherwise, good luck.
Was that a kit?
What happened to these components?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:18 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin438
It has holes in the wing and shows signs of having the inter-plane struts.But upon further inspection the holes in the wings are not threaded so maybe they were there for show only.Thanks abenn.I have a better understanding now.
I would feel happier if someone could positively identify your model, for then they could say for sure whether the struts are for show or not. But if the evidence is that they were only plug-in, you should be okay without them. That's the way mine are, and I didn't even bother putting the holes in the wings because my model is for flying, not for show
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
Yes i wish i could get a positive ID just to see what they looked like and maybe see if this kit came with a cowl.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,100 Posts
The wing tips and stab make it kind of resemble the older Balsa USA Phaeton bipe I had. The size sounds about right.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
I believe you've got it 50+; the tail threw me off, but the construction's right.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:39 PM
Fulton.Mississippi
Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
I think you are right.Everything matches up except the rudder and i had decided it was not factory.The top wing mounts just like mine and it is the first i have seen like that.Maybe i can get a cowl from Balsa USA.Thanks 50+ and everyone else.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,100 Posts
The Phaeton plans I have don't show any kind of add-on cowl, nor did mine have one. Just the sides and bottom built out to form a cowl. There is a cowl for the revised Phaeton II however, which I think is slightly larger than the original Phaeton.

My Phaeton was kind of doggy. I got it already built from an estate sale, and the only engine I had that fit without major rebuild was a Fox BB .40. It became a decent, if not spectacular flyer after I changed from a 10-6 prop to an 11-5. Cut the take-off distance by almost 2/3, and I could loop from level flight without diving. Of course, the plane was almost 2 pounds heavier than the advertised weight.

Enjoy!
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears