Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Discussion
Designing Microracer type planes-3 Views

Hey all
I have some more Plantraco Micro racers coming (P-51 and a Shoestring) and I can't wait to start building/flying them.
They really are just 3 view's of planes on foam, so I was thinking it would be fairly easy to make my own.
Simply download a 3-view (I want to get a P-47 going), size it correctly, and print it out. You just need a view of the wing and stab (top view) and a side view for the fuse/vert stab. Component placement could mimic Plantraco's, and assuming the Cg is correct, it should fly well
Whats the best way to go about doing this? The only program I have is MS Paint, so I was looking for something better. How could I scale up a 3 view to the proper size? A program with a built in scale? How to organize the required parts on a page to print?
It should all be able to fit on one 8.5x11 printer paper, and if not the wing could be cut in half and simply duplicated. You could also use the 3-view to make printed tissue covering schemes in a graphics program. Material would be 3mm foam and some carbon strip-exactly like Plantraco's/BSD's.
I would love to get my own P-47 going with a cool paint scheme!
Any ideas or tips? I've done very little by the way of computers/sizing plans/printing etc for RC-or anything for that matter...
I'm sure alot of you guys have done this, I see alot of profile models on here that were probably taken from 3-views. There are alot of 3-views I have found that would make awesome Microracer type planes.
Thanks,
Tommy
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:21 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Sizing in paint is not too bad (Image | Stretch/Skew), but tiling is a pain. I like ISPlot ( http://www.profili2.com/ip_eng/default.htm ). It scales (pick any two spots and give it a dimension) and tiles for you, complete with line-up marks...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:27 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll check that out. I've heard of Profilli for making tapered airfolied wings.
Edit: Downloaded it!
Very cool. All you need to do is stick the image in, use the caliber raster for a 'known length'- like a wingspan, and it tiles it and everything! I'll register and get printing. Thanks again.
Edit 2: For registering, do I just pay $13US through the paypal link and I automatically get a password sent? It's a little unclear.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Last edited by tommyeflight89; Jun 18, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:34 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Yes, Stephan will respond with an unlock code for your machine, and th eprogram becomes fully functional.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
Mach 2 with hair on fire!
Dallas,TX
Joined Dec 2006
344 Posts
How do you do printed tissue???
TeraHurtz is offline Find More Posts by TeraHurtz
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
There are three threads deadicated to printed tissue on this page of the "Micro Threads Index". Lots of info there. Hope this helps.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Mach 2 with hair on fire!
Dallas,TX
Joined Dec 2006
344 Posts
Gordon Johnson,

Thanks that helped!
TeraHurtz is offline Find More Posts by TeraHurtz