SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:30 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
618 Posts
Discussion
DX7 - paint flaking off

Look at the photos - this is my problem. Is that normal with Spektrum radios? The paint is flaking off very easily even by touching it and the worst part is i can see black plastic in those places now I bought it just 3 months ago, whole process starded from one little scratch about 2 months ago. I'm using it mostly with electric models. Actually i touched a nitro only few times, so maybe it has something to do with it?
U.S.U.L is offline Find More Posts by U.S.U.L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Mine is from their first shipment---------I've never seen anything like that which is depicted in your photos.

Suggest you send copies to the Distributor from whom it came------that would not please anyone to have that condition present.
I'm looking at the pictures and find it hard to believe.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
66 Posts
Yes, my paint is also flaking off, though not anywhere near as bad as yours.

I only fly electric (no nitro anywhere near my radio).

Out of curiousity, how do you store your radio? Mine is in the original foam (sitting in a plastic box).
kevinelp is offline Find More Posts by kevinelp
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,938 Posts
Do you apply sun screen and/or insect repelant?
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Now that is a theory I like!!!!

Ocassionally, I use sun screen - but not so often, usually just a wide-brim hat and a long sleeve T-shirt.

I'll check tonight - if the right side of the transmitter is more flakey than the left (I apply sun screen mostly with my right hand), then maybe we have hit the nail on the head.

cheers
- Kevin
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:30 AM
diy heli maker
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
I'm not using any of these.
I already asked the distributor(espritmodel) and here is the reply:
"Hi,Unfortunately this is because of the nitro-methane and castor oil.The paint reacts with it..."
U.S.U.L is offline Find More Posts by U.S.U.L
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:04 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
That should go over well. Don't fly with Nitro and Castor Oil. Hmmmmmmmmm......

That can't be a for real answer??!!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:30 AM
Oxfordshire - UK
Joined Jan 2003
53 Posts
Years ago I worked for a computer manufacturer that had just release a new system with a bespoke painted structural foam casing. At an exhibition we used a well know cleaner to remove marks and finger prints off our new cases. The cleaner stripped the paint!

It should not have happened as the paint used was specifically picked for durable applications (these computers were designed for schools). So we sent the cleaner off to the labs and discovered that the culprit was none other than coconut oil! Pretty aggressive stuff apparently - and sometimes this is found in sun screen!
zippo is offline Find More Posts by zippo
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
66 Posts
Just checked mine, and made two observations:
  • The back half of the case is fine on mine, the sides of the front half are flaking on mine.
  • It is flaked equally on both sides, so the sun screen theory is less compelling for me.

Given my radio has not been near anything resembling nitro, I'd guess the most likely culprit is a combination of a bad paint job (or bad paint) and sweaty hands.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:12 AM
Southampton UK
Joined Jan 2003
179 Posts
I have seen the salt in sweat attack the paint on JR radios when i used them a few years ago, if you leave sweat from you palms on the radio that could be your answer.
The solution is to wipe the Tx down after flying.

Nigel
Nigel P is online now Find More Posts by Nigel P
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel P
The solution is to wipe the Tx down after flying.
Or not to sweat it (hurhur...) and let it flake. It's not like your life, that of your planes or that of the TX depends on it.

At the same time I'd make sure people know about the phenomenon, and that the manufacturer knows you do. Nothing makes a mfg. move faster than a little bit of bad press.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
Southampton UK
Joined Jan 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusN
Or not to sweat it (hurhur...) and let it flake. It's not like your life, that of your planes or that of the TX depends on it.

At the same time I'd make sure people know about the phenomenon, and that the manufacturer knows you do. Nothing makes a mfg. move faster than a little bit of bad press.
Or buy a proper radio

Nigel
Nigel P is online now Find More Posts by Nigel P
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusN

The solution is to do it right in manufacturing and design.

I have no interest in holding a piece of junk in my hand. I thought the Futaba 6 looked cheap. This could be a new low in cheap.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Quote:
"Hi,Unfortunately this is because of the nitro-methane and castor oil.The paint reacts with it..."
Isn't that an admission that's it's not suitable for the purpose it was sold?

There are lots of things I wouldn't expect it to be resistant to, but sweat and fuel are going to be obvious things to check before they sell it.

Personally, I think you just got one from a bad batch where the paint wasn't applied properly, and should ask for a replacement.
RobinBennett is online now Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,856 Posts
I doubt that the finish is a paint. However, the effect looks more like an adhesion problem than any kind of solvent etch.

I would guess that a prep stage was missed or the case was double treated by mistake - it has to be a fault and could well be a batch issue.

Mine is fine.

Jim Davey
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey