HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2008, 01:46 PM
JTZ
Grapevine, TX 76051
Joined Sep 2006
25 Posts
I just finished my paint job on my Eagle. Can't wait to fly. I hope to bring in the real Thermal Sniffers or do Battle with the Crows.
Thanks_

Julian Tamez
Grapevine, TX 76051
chan1pro is offline Find More Posts by chan1pro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:08 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chan1pro
I just finished my paint job on my Eagle. Can't wait to fly. I hope to bring in the real Thermal Sniffers or do Battle with the Crows.
Thanks_

Julian Tamez
Grapevine, TX 76051
if it fly's as well as it looks you will have a great Maiden flight ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
A question on props .....

I'm currently flying witha APC 9 x 6 E prop ......

I also have a APC 9x6 slow fly E prop .......

Is there likely to be any benefits by using the slowfly prop? ....
Old Apr 08, 2008, 03:31 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Heck i have the stock brushless, 8x4 gws on 3S 1320..
It doesn't even seem to care about the prop while gliding. Kinda looks like a mouse tail hanging from the beak.
Man the lighting system was fine till i realized i had to use a second pack, (my fault, didn't make the Deans through to deans connector properly) anyhow so i put a 3S 910 on top of the 1320 and it flew fine, just heavy..
Gotta get that fixed before SEFF..
Looks like there will be quite a few eagles at the big fly-in..
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone
Heck i have the stock brushless, 8x4 gws on 3S 1320..
It doesn't even seem to care about the prop while gliding. Kinda looks like a mouse tail hanging from the beak.
Man the lighting system was fine till i realized i had to use a second pack, (my fault, didn't make the Deans through to deans connector properly) anyhow so i put a 3S 910 on top of the 1320 and it flew fine, just heavy..
Gotta get that fixed before SEFF..
Looks like there will be quite a few eagles at the big fly-in..
Have to say I built my bird heavy ..... FG Tissue ..... full length spars .... servo tray ..... hand painted ...... 2100 3S lipo ..... So I would like to get the Prop selection spot on if I can .......

I had 50 minutes total air time this afternoon ...... could have stayed up longer but the only one around to watch was my old dog and even he fell asleep .....
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:46 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Correct prop selection is based on the motor your using, my Purple Peril is a 1500Kv motor that will produce 165 Watts running a 8x4.7 prop. I first tried a larger prop only to find out it was over propped and caused the motor to overheat. I'm using a 2100mAh Thunder Power pack and can get anywhere from 30 minutes to over and hour per flight. The only problem with the long flights is that your neck gets stiff. Yesterday I had fun making practice approaches over and over, maybe 25 or more until I could easily catch it. The Eagle is great fun, glad to see all the interest in it.

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris
Correct prop selection is based on the motor your using, my Purple Peril is a 1500Kv motor that will produce 165 Watts running a 8x4.7 prop. I first tried a larger prop only to find out it was over propped and caused the motor to overheat. I'm using a 2100mAh Thunder Power pack and can get anywhere from 30 minutes to over and hour per flight. The only problem with the long flights is that your neck gets stiff. Yesterday I had fun making practice approaches over and over, maybe 25 or more until I could easily catch it. The Eagle is great fun, glad to see all the interest in it.

Gary
Here 's my motor ..... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2048

running with a 3 cell 2100 lipo ...... APC E 9 x 6 prop ..... gives me 170 watts per the above spec sheet ..... motor runs stone cold to touch .....

I just happened to have a 9 x 6 slow fly prop ........... never used one before so wondered if there would be any advantage versus the regular 9 x 6 .........
Old Apr 08, 2008, 06:39 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
G'day,

I've been using a GWS 9x4.7 on a Tower pro 2408-21T-3delta and a 3s 1650 lipo; have not had to use full power yet.

Cheers

Bob
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:51 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Hobie -
On a real A20-20L i used a 10x4.7 at around 19 amps on a 3-d Airfoilz.
The slow fly prop will give you the same speed, but more thrust, and pull a few more amps.
If you are happy with the way it flies, just keep the E prop on it and enjoy..

---oh and that wasn't a slam against the clone a20, they are fine little motors, just not quite as efficient as the Hacker and Torque...
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Apr 08, 2008, 09:03 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
I fly mine on the clone with a GWS 9 x 5 HD prop and it works great. I get 45 min to 60 minute flights on a 3S2100 lipo. Flew it today, had the camera on board and flew thru the goal post.

http://media.putfile.com/EPP-Eagle-O...der-Field-Goal
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2008, 09:19 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Amazing job! Itīs just like a real hawk! Very nice, I would like to see you painting since the begining.

Congratulations, you are an artist!

Letīs see how the REAL hawks will fly with your hawk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by East
This is the fourth one Know that I've painted, this a golden eagle and I think my favorite so far. I like these so much from building them and painting them that I got one of my own.
Still trying to decide on what type of bird to use as the paint scheme. maybe a seagull, lol. Take it easy, hope you like it. Shawn
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:32 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Here's mine - I used the pictures of Maybz' eagle as inspiration. I painted it with Tamiya acrylics and airbrushed it free-hand just because I didn't feel like messing with templates I don't think it turned out as well as yours Maybz but I like how it looks up in the air.

I am flying one of Don's motors in it, using an 8x6 folding prop. The response at the park has been a lot of fun A handful of people came over to see the eagle afterwards... they were amazed at how realistic it looked in the air. Fun to catch too!

Scott
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
I'll be curious to see how acrylic paint lasts.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:44 PM
TAIWAN
Joined Dec 2003
139 Posts
This is video of my 8 year old son flying the eagle. Although he's only played the FMS simulation several times and this was his first time flying the real RC aircraft, I let him try it as there was no wind this morning. I was so surprised to see him fly the eagle with such stability.

BOY'S EPP EAGLE (2 min 15 sec)
FLYPARTY is offline Find More Posts by FLYPARTY
Last edited by FLYPARTY; Apr 09, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 01:16 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Great flying! I know guys who've been flying R/C for five years who can't fly as smoothly as that!
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser