HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Unfortunately cloning of good products is rampant in Asia with little respect to copyright or intellectual property. Any good product will be copied regardless of any copyright or patent. We all know and realize that Flyparty makes a very good product and that is one reason the price is higher. As you said Andy we all need to let everyone know about this so uninformed buyers don't get a poor quality product when they thought they were ordering the "Original EPP Eagle".

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2008, 02:49 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan
G'day,

I guess the fully explains why the CNC Eagle and combo CNC Eagle are the only two kits at Efly having free post to just about any where.

Cheers
I ordered my Eagle from Efly ...... one of the Free delivery Eagles .... does that mean it's one of the Clones? .....

edit ....
looked at the wing photo's again ..... my wing is now one piece so I can't physically compare the cross section to the two photos ...... however I'm almost certain my Eagle has the original (genuine) wing section .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Last edited by hobie14; Feb 23, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:57 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
hobie14,

It depends when you bought it, I guess, but you may be able to decide by squeezing the area where the reinforcement is - where the spar is held, and the back of the hollow behind it. You can see from Flyparty's pictures that they've had to use less hollow with the lower density foam in the copy, to try to get the wing stiff enough.

I have my (genuine) kit out and the wing material is very stiff, and has a waxy feeling to it - much more so than my Multiplex elapor based planes, and it's much more dense than my Vespid EPP small flying wing... Of course, that doesn't help so much without something to compare it with, but the lower density foam in the photo of the copy does look a bit more like the texture of the elapor, especially after it's been heated a bit to get a dent out.

Without the wing assembled, I can squash the inside edge of the wing panels and feel the shape of the reinforcement and cavity. That will be harder with your wing halves glued together. About half way along the wing panel, I can't press in the cavity infront of the spar much without applying a fairly firm squeeze. Behind the spar it's easier, but still quite stiff, and I can feel the edge of the cavity, about where it starts to narrow to a slit in the photos. On the fake wing that squashier bit would end further forwards.

Flyparty's wing section comparison:

Squeezing gently, from the spar back to the trailing edge, the real wing starts to feel stiffer about at the letter A in EAGLE.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Last edited by Andy2No; Feb 23, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:20 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No
hobie14,

It depends when you bought it, I guess, but you may be able to decide by squeezing the area where the reinforcement is - where the spar is held, and the back of the hollow behind it. You can see from Flyparty's pictures that they've had to use less hollow with the lower density foam in the copy, to try to get the wing stiff enough.

I have my (genuine) kit out and the wing material is very stiff, and has a waxy feeling to it - much more so than my Multiplex elapor based planes, and it's much more dense than my Vespid EPP small flying wing... Of course, that doesn't help so much without something to compare it with, but the lower density foam in the photo of the copy does look a bit more like the texture of the elapor, especially after it's been heated a bit to get a dent out.

Without the wing assembled, I can squash the inside edge of the wing panels and feel the shape of the reinforcement and cavity. That will be harder with your wing halves glued together. About half way along the wing panel, I can't press in the cavity infront of the spar much without applying a fairly firm squeeze. Behind the spar it's easier, but still quite stiff, and I can feel the edge of the cavity, about where it starts to narrow to a slit in the photos. On the fake wing that squashier bit would end further forwards.

Flyparty's wing section comparison:

Squeezing gently, from the spar back to the trailing edge, the real wing starts to feel stiffer about at the letter A in EAGLE.
I received mine on the 14th January (ordered from Efly 5th Jan)......

It's all ready to fly except my locally sourced motor was completely screwed up becuase of an unsuitable mounting and it's replacement is still in transit .....
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
I have two of the free shipping ones from eFlyPower, one I have all ready put together but here is the photo of the wing center of the one that is still in the box, I guess I got 2 of the knock offs, you can see mine has a extra tall line burnt in and the shape of the other cut outs are not the same as the real one, I out lined the extra line thats about 3/8 of a inch tall in yellow, the real one doesn't have this extra line burnt in and the shape is not the same either of the other burnt out sections,,, so if you bought them for 65 bucks with free shipping you have the knock off I would say, mine are not waxey feeling and rather course, very hard to draw a line on because of the corseness and really hard to paint with a fine brush because mine is so corse
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:44 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
So are the knockoffs heavier or lighter for the foam pieces only?

BOB
IBbob31 is online now Find More Posts by IBbob31
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
hobie14,

I got mine in November, and I have to admit, it's still in kit form. About then is when the weather changed and became unsuitable for flying a plane like the Eagle. I can only think of about 3 or 4 decent slow flying days since then. At the moment, I'm still working on my windy weather planes, but I'll get to the Eagle fairly soon.

Motor mounts can be a problem. I had an X-mount with one motor I bought that just snapped when I undid the screws that were holding it to my test stand (bit of a grand title for a block of wood strapped onto some kitchen scales). It was a cast one, and parts of it were just far too thin. I'm happier with ones that are just cut from a steel plate. Quite often it's necessary to engineer something for a plane that wasn't meant to take the motor.

Bob,

I would think lighter, because it's a lot lower density foam - even though there appears to be a bit more of it in the middle. It'll also be floppier though, which is one of the problems with building with EPP, apparently. The lower density EPP is what's normally sold in sheet form and it's generally not stiff enough for building largish planes, unless you reinforce it somehow.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:20 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
I've definitley got one of the knock offs. I feel for FlyParty, we're only talking about a moulded piece of foam but it's a unique creation so eFlyPower ripping him off is bang out of order. If they guy had any balls he would reply on this thread apologising and offering FlyParty a percentage of sales of his copies. I doubt it would be that much money anyway.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
My Eagle is a knock off, too. It's plenty stiff. The grooves for the wing reinforcing are too small for the carbon tubes that come with it and even for slightly smaller (1/8") tubes that might replace those in the kit. Rods?

The motor mount plywood was too small and will have to be replaced as well.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:47 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
If they guy had any balls he would reply on this thread apologising and offering FlyParty a percentage of sales of his copies. I doubt it would be that much money anyway.
Good point.

Mike Huang's email address is eflypower@gmail.com. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by providing that to anyone who might want to invite him on here to defend his actions, or to help out anyone who wants to send back the fake kits he sold them, and can't remember his address

IPFlyer,

May I suggest you edit your first post in this thread to link to the source of the genuine EPP Eagle (RC Raptor)? At the moment, it still links to eflypower. Maybe you could include this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyparty in that other thread
eFlyPower is no longer my distributor and I have requested them to remove the photos and videos from their website to protect the consumer's right and my invention. The only product that I manufacture at this point is the EPP Eagle kits/ARFs, listed on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/EPP-EAGLE and http://www.freewebs.com/eppeagle/. We have also registered a trademark for the EPP Eagle--THE RC RAPTOR.
Last edited by Andy2No; Feb 24, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Andy, that was a great idea. Done. You might get a warning from the mods as posting email addys is generally not allowed. Spam harversters, etc. But hey - it was worth the warning point.

Flyparty, I'll be buying a couple more from you.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:11 AM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
G'day,

I have to admit, when I first saw the "free post" for only the Eagle kits I was pretty sure there was a unique reason for the oddity. Know we know.

I purchased one and then noticed the "combo" so got another, ending up with two. I finished one, but, thought is was "spongy" to the feel; however, on the other hand it's my first EEP model so I had no real comparison. So, still having an unbuilt "knock off" kit it will interesting to compare it to the real thing.

I already ordered another Eagle Kit from FLYPARTY.

Cheers

Bob
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Last edited by SeniorSpan; Feb 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:23 AM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Movie

Mine black eagle flew!
2S700 on 400xt spinning 11x5 folder. Hot glue construction. Bone stock.
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:24 AM
TAIWAN
Joined Dec 2003
139 Posts
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for your support which encourages me enormously in this situation. And you guys did not really need to add the links as I am honored enough to have this big discussion group on my EPP Eagle. As I have stated in my announcement that the only intention is to inform the buyers on knowing the differences and not to cause anyone any troubles.
Once again, I really appreciate everyone's support.

Ron,
I have attached the dimension of my motor mount. If it fits your eagle and if you have trouble finding the replacement, I can mail one to you. Just PM me your address. Hope it will be a bit of helpful in this situation. Thanks.
FLYPARTY is offline Find More Posts by FLYPARTY
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Well if mine is a clone (free delivery version) I'll just have to live
with it ...... I've put too much time into it ......

I've put in a ply servo mount ..... glassed the tail where it attaches
to the Fuse for extra strength ..... put full length CF spars (2) .....
made up the wing in one piece ..... glassed the wing in the elastic
band areas .......

If I had ordered the motor with the kit my Eagle would have been
flying a month or so ago .....

My Eagle will always be a Flyparty Eagle ...... it's his design and
always will be .....

ps. my motor mount is the white plastic version in Flypartys post above .....
I wonder if my kit is a real one after all ....