SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2008, 11:17 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Started gluing the chicken together. No instructions were included, which is no big deal really, but it would be nice to know the CG location.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2008, 04:42 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Started gluing the chicken together. No instructions were included, which is no big deal really, but it would be nice to know the CG location.

Don
Don ..... you may be the first to video the Chicken in flight .....

I haven't been able to find a video of it so far ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:45 AM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
G'day,

As this morning seemed to be perfect ( lots of sunshine and no wind) for an EEP Eagle maiden flight, I proceeded to the garage/workshop to position the battery for COG, but got real surprised to find in addition to the 5 .25oz battery I needed to add another 9oz's to achieve COG. I'm fairly confident I did not get over zealous with glue on the tail section and normally the addition to weight to the nose is not all that unusual in RC models, but this sure "feels" heavy.

I would appreciate input from other Eagle fliers as to added weight to achieve COG.

Thx

Bob
SeniorSpan is online now Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:53 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan
G'day,

As this morning seemed to be perfect ( lots of sunshine and no wind) for an EEP Eagle maiden flight, I proceeded to the garage/workshop to position the battery for COG, but got real surprised to find in addition to the 5 .25oz battery I needed to add another 9oz's to achieve COG. I'm fairly confident I did not get over zealous with glue on the tail section and normally the addition to weight to the nose is not all that unusual in RC models, but this sure "feels" heavy.

I would appreciate input from other Eagle fliers as to added weight to achieve COG.

Thx

Bob
I did not add any extra weight. I used a 3s 1300mah pack. Had to move possition it as far foward as it could go.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:37 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
I use a Thunder Power 2100 3-cell with it pushed far forward to achieve the center of gravity. The pack weighs about 5 1/2 oz so putting in 9 oz. of weight in the nose seems excessive. The balance point with the wing on is 6cm back from the front opening in the fuselage. Mine had two indention's in the EPP to show where the CG was however, I doubt that the newer models have this. Double check your balance point prior to doing a maiden otherwise she may be nose heavy big time. Good luck on your first flight, I hope it's a non-event!

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Shouldn't these birds follow convention of 1/3 MAC for COG? "One third mean average chicken (wing)"
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:00 PM
TAIWAN
Joined Dec 2003
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan
G'day,

Thx

Bob
I admire your artistic talent and you sure are a great artist.

We used a 3s 2000mah(5.29oz),did not add anything.
Flying weight about 500g~570g(17.6oz~20oz)
FLYPARTY is offline Find More Posts by FLYPARTY
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:47 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
G'day,

I really appreciate the replies. After all is said and done and the dust settled, the problem ends up to be me. I was sure I read about the COG in this thread and was very sure the number 6 was used. The error is, it's 6cm as FLYPARTY shows in his post, not 6mm as I was using.

Of course I removed the tail assy and any excess glue I could find, before I checked RCGroups for replies. So since that's not the problem it will get reattached as quickly as possible as I sill have sunshine and no wind.

FLYPARTY, thank you for the COG info and the artistic comment. In my opinion it came out OK, but does not compare to most of the others shown in this thread.

Cheers

Bob
SeniorSpan is online now Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:58 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris
I use a Thunder Power 2100 3-cell with it pushed far forward to achieve the center of gravity. The pack weighs about 5 1/2 oz so putting in 9 oz. of weight in the nose seems excessive. The balance point with the wing on is 6cm back from the front opening in the fuselage. Mine had two indention's in the EPP to show where the CG was however, I doubt that the newer models have this. Double check your balance point prior to doing a maiden otherwise she may be nose heavy big time. Good luck on your first flight, I hope it's a non-event!

Gary Morris
So that's what the two marks are for .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Feb 09, 2008, 02:08 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
Here she is

AUW 470 grams ~ 16.6 oz
Park 370 1080 kv motor swinging a 8x6
TP Prolite 1320
Added .15 oz in paint total.
She looks good from afar, but far from good. Will look great in the air.
Thanks for the incredibly descriptive tutorial Maybz. I had held off for over a month because I was afraid I could not get the same results. I am thrilled with how it looks. The wing tip section on the top got a little messed up but other than that I think she looks great.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Feb 09, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2008, 07:22 PM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
Great looking job.

The other birds will think it's their cousin.

DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Old Feb 09, 2008, 08:55 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,065 Posts
Very nice work Jon, you will have alot of fun with that.
Haha, that Swallow that E-Aero is marketing is obviously "inspired" by the Dreamworks Alula. I have had an Alula for a couple of years. After awhile its nose got a bit mushed up so I cut it off and put a small outrunner on it. Goes like a rocket with unlimited vertical and is still a good ridge soarer. Now I have some EPP painting skills I will have to go over it again and give it some better plumage.

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Feb 10, 2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Well my Chicken is just about ready. The bad news is a nasty storm is coming tomorrow with 40 mph winds so no maiden.

Ready to fly weight is 3.6 ounces.
Motor: 10 gram 2000KV outrunner from Hobby City
ESC: Pentium 6
Lipo: 2S 450 mah
Servos: two 4.3 gram servos from Hobby City
Prop: GWS 4.5 x 3 prop

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:21 AM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Very nice work Jon, you will have alot of fun with that.
Haha, that Swallow that E-Aero is marketing is obviously "inspired" by the Dreamworks Alula. I have had an Alula for a couple of years. After awhile its nose got a bit mushed up so I cut it off and put a small outrunner on it. Goes like a rocket with unlimited vertical and is still a good ridge soarer. Now I have some EPP painting skills I will have to go over it again and give it some better plumage.

KiwiKid

man that power alula looks like fun, i have a old lula that the pod is coming off,, thanks for the inspiration heheh, might just have to try that!,, what battery are you useing?
mike
pitviper51 is online now Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:01 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,065 Posts
Hey Pitviper, you turn up everywhere!!
I usually use a 1000mah 3 cell lipo that hitches a ride on the Alulas sholder area. Just held on with Velcro so I can adjust the CG for different flying conditions. I also use a 650 mah battery for indoor flying which is alot of fun.

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Windrider Birdie