HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2008, 07:21 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14
Me too .... I've been so impressed with all the projects in this thread that I ordered the Eagle just a few days ago ..... still have to decide on final hardware but the bird is on its way to me ....
Doesn't need much power to fly from 400 grams to 480 is more than enough, 14 to 17 ounces of thrust, I am using a motor with a 2 cell that puts out 17 ounces and I have to fly it at 1/2 or less throttle to fly right
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,746 Posts
Oh, that reminds me...I added two washers on each side of the top mount for down thrust. It's very effective.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
Oh, that reminds me...I added two washers on each side of the top mount for down thrust. It's very effective.
Top MOunt? OH DuHHHH just got it ,motor top mount.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ypsi mi
Doesn't need much power to fly from 400 grams to 480 is more than enough, 14 to 17 ounces of thrust, I am using a motor with a 2 cell that puts out 17 ounces and I have to fly it at 1/2 or less throttle to fly right
Steve .... how about this motor ?

my local dealer handles this make of motor so hopefully it will be readily available ....

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...rs%20-%20E-Pro
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
I put up a flight video today.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...71#post8938002
Hope you all like it.
Brillant vid Robert, very relaxing just watching the Eagle cruise around with that nice background music. Half the time I race around with mine like its a 3D ship, must learn to slow down. Nice flying site there. A good thing about the Eagle is that you can cart it along to alot of different locations - I have had fun recently ridge soaring out on the coast with seagulls. They don't seem to mind as it looks a bit like a large brown backed gull we have here.

Just shot some on board vid today with my eDVR 5-in-1 (see the pic in post 596). Went well but the Eagle handled like a pig - turbulance over the tail feathers I suppose. Will shoot some more tomorrow and then throw a vid together.

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Windrider Birdie
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:01 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Steve .... how about this motor ?

my local dealer handles this make of motor so hopefully it will be readily available ....

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...rs%20-%20E-Pro
by the looks of the specs which they don't give the thrust it should be more than enough with a 2 cell looking at the rpm or KV, my motor is about 200 more KV but I would use the 9050 to 1060 GWS Hyper drive props, probably the 9050, I have checked a lot of the props and all the 1147-1047- props show more thrust on the table but in the air they are terrible, for some reason that 47 size is weird, put a 9050 on and will fly like it should but the 1047 which should be about equeal will barely fly the same plane. and I don't use slow flyer props on any thing any more, not as efficient as the hyper drive props,, Like I said it doesn't take much, I have 17 ounces of thrust which is 480 grams and it is really to much power, I have to watch it taking off because I use high throws and any thing over half speed will make it turn fast and react fast, I have cards I recorded the tests on about 10 motors with the thrust and amps on outrunners and inrunners with 280 to one up to 533 to 1 gear ratios,
My Eagle weighs about 22 1/2 ounces or 640 grams RTF with battery, lots of paint, it is quick, to quick with the 480 grams of thrust i have on the 2 cell, that motor weighs about the same as mine, I had to put 14 grams right inside the nose and the battery all the way in front, it was eradic until I put that extra 14 grams in the nose inside againest the motor mount and my battery weighs
3.88 ounces or 110 grams, as far as i could put it and then it flew perfect.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
thinking about ordering another Eagle but modifying the nose to look like this.
really like the eagle but just change it to a diffront bird, leave every thing the same but the nose of it
I just ordered another one to paint up like this great horned owl, in the process of making the nose on the eagle I have now, will be a real bear to paint up like the owl but going to whack at it, instead of using foam for the ears I am going to mount 2 feathers for the horns, I did some more carveing on the adaptor of the owl head that I have pictchured below, rounding it and blending it to fit the eagle front, won't look to bad
the photo of the owl head is one I glued to a foam block to see how it would fit and look, it will be peeled off and paint in the face with 2 feathers for ears
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Jan 18, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:46 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,067 Posts
I have been thinking along those line too - making an owl or a seagull, but using the existing wing and making a body out of sheet epp or blue foam. The brown backed gull we have in NZ is quite like an Eagle anyway and a rounded body would make it look a bit more scale

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Windrider Birdie
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
A white Depron body and bingo: Instant Snowy Owl.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
How do you guys mount the servo's? ..... glue to the floor/side? .... tape them first? ......

Steve .... many thanks for the detailed reply re motors....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7 Posts
I'm really hooked on the videos and the great artwork. I hope to get the Eagle one of these days. Had I discovered this thread earlier, think I would have gotten one; I'm currently building the Easy Star. Has anyone found the Eagle for FMS? Sure like to give that a try. Thanks!
evadeom is offline Find More Posts by evadeom
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
I first put masking tape on the servo then hot glued them to the inside fuselage wall. That allows you to remove the servo if need be without making a hole in the foam. I can post a picture if you would like.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
I know there is an eagle in SSS (Slope Soar SIm)
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:39 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
How do you guys mount the servo's? ..... glue to the floor/side? .... tape them first? ......

Steve .... many thanks for the detailed reply re motors....
Heres mine, I used that double sticky tape to the side of servo and side wall of body and the servo resting againest the bottom of floor no bottom tape and then cut a piece of foam that fits a tiny over snug and put a few drops of GWS glue on the foam bottom and sides where it met the servos, this foam will keep them from moving and is removeable. you can see the foam is sort of wedge shaped and the same heigth as the servo body so it won't interfere with the wires, the distance the servos are from the back is about right, you can still get your fingers is to remove the arms, a 1/2 to 3/4 inch more toward the front is all you can go because of the wire length.
second one is my open battery hatch with a piece of blue foam glued accross to keep the battery from sliding and the blue black blob all the way to the left and is part on side wall and motor mount is 14 grams of clay
instead of sticky tape at the servos hot glue would work and hot glue the pink foam block also, I just like to work slow so I used the sticky tape and GWS glue, I would not use epoxy,
Hope these photos help, I looked quite a while before I did mine, wished I Had a photo when I did mine, would have saved a lot of looking and time
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Jan 18, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:59 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcminh
I was left off my Eagle project for a while.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=41

I just finish to assemble and painting my Eagle. The Winter weather in Connecticut is very rough. I'm waiting for a nice day so I can take my Eagle out for a test fly.
Here are some pictures of my Eagle.
Rcminh
My painted eagle showed up today. It's beautiful. I decided to stick with the rubber band wing mount and ordered some of the Aerotrend larger black bands. Will probably cut a battery hatch into the bottom, that's a quick useful mod. Haven't decided on a motor yet, probably Hacker A20-20L or A20-22L.

Rcminh:What did you use for the eyes on your eagle?

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Jan 19, 2008 at 01:23 PM.