HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
help again ......lol........

Well I made some more adjustments today the 20th april and tryed to fly again after my latest reapirs ...lol.........I managed to get 3 flight in the air this time at about 150 feet high with no crashes but, and this is a big but... It was a struggle to keep it in the air it would "turn on its own " ( I think the wind was doing it) and it would climb on its own again and it just did not want to be controled I did manage to land it 3 times but it really was a struggle. Is this the way this plane handles, Does anyone elce have problems with it if so its not very much much fun at all. I am affraid it will go out of control and hit somthing or some body and I don't want that
I am not affraid to admitt that maybe I am just not good enought to fly it
or somthing is still wrong with it,I just don't know. I did very well on my E-flite Apprentice.......... so that's what I am baseing my experience on, so far I am not a fan of the "V" tail or am I wrong about that to........please help again .....lol....
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
it started to turn left and it started to go down during the turn so I tryed to use some (up) control and it would not respond very well and again kind of nose dived into the ground
It's better to give it more power in a turn, rather than more up elevator. Too much up elevator leads to a stall. It also bleeds off airspeed, making the plane less responsive.

3 channel planes do tend to turn by themselves in wind. When I used to fly my souped up 3CH CC Lee Cub, I often found it was best to just go with it and turn round in a circle the way the wind was blowing it, to point it back the way I wanted.

Sometimes the wind will get under a wing and tip a plane to one side, making it turn - mostly, when you turn across the wind. With ailerons, you can just roll it back the way you wanted it, but with just rudder and elevator (or a V-tail) you don't have the option.

Of course the simple answer is to wait for days when there's almost no wind til you get confident with it. There aren't many of those though.

Looking at FLYPARTY's pictures again, I'm wondering if the tail surfaces should go down more than up. Ailerons should go up more than down, sometimes twice as much (known as differential) but it makes sense for V-tails to work the opposite way. There's more drag on the surface that moves furthest, which encourages the plane to turn that way.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,434 Posts
Don't fly in that much wind.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
Vegemite Power
North California
Joined Aug 2009
288 Posts
Tape

What kind of tape sticks to this bird? I want to join the wings but I can't find anything that will work.
GroverC is offline Find More Posts by GroverC
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:53 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
GroverC,

Probably none, but I've got strapping tape to stick to EPP by spreading a thin layer of UHU POR on the foam, then letting it dry completely before applying the tape. If you do that, you can probably use just about any kind of sticky tape.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
TAIWAN
Joined Dec 2003
139 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mr Flyparty ,I tryed to make some more adjustments and fly it again today, result another crash and broken prop and more fingers ripped off
I checked everything before letting it go at about 3/4 power then cutting it back just a little bit and it went straight, and up a little
before I had to try to turn it left at about 100 yards so It would not run into trees out at about 150 feet high
it started to turn left and it started to go down during the turn so I tryed to use some (up) control and it would not respond very well and again kind of nose dived into the ground ( more damage and some more fingers ripped off
and the hatch cover is ripping off ) I am working on sending pictures of my settings I don't have a camera, but I am being helped out and it might take a day or so (sorry) I have balanced it the best I can very close to 6cm from the front of the wing Thank you for your reply Jim
It seems that the setting should be alright as the eagle can fly 100 yards before the turn. I am suspecting the center of gravity is to close to the rear. You can try to move the battery forward closer to the nose and see it that helps a bit. Whenever you have the photos ready, just send them to me.

FLYPARTY
FLYPARTY is offline Find More Posts by FLYPARTY
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Mr. flyparty I will give that a try .I thought I had it, It was balancing at 6cm from the front of the wing it was really a struggle to keep it in the air and I am lucky it didn't crash this time .....lol... I am still waiting for my camera
person to show up and help It liked to fly straight but any turns watch out
its out of control thanks for your reply and the others who are offering tips
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
TAIWAN
Joined Dec 2003
139 Posts
Quote:
Mr. flyparty I will give that a try .I thought I had it, It was balancing at 6cm from the front of the wing it was really a struggle to keep it in the air and I am lucky it didn't crash this time .....lol... I am still waiting for my camera
person to show up and help It liked to fly straight but any turns watch out
its out of control thanks for your reply and the others who are offering tips
Ok, no problem. Please let me know when the photos are ready.Please also take some photos on the tail section of the eagle.Also, photos on the rudder settings for left and right turns, so we can see the tail movements.
There is another test that you can do is that try to balance the eagle at the COG (in this case is 6cm) on your finger. The entire aircrafe should be steady and in horizontal.

FLYPARTY
FLYPARTY is offline Find More Posts by FLYPARTY
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
Vegemite Power
North California
Joined Aug 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Turbulence View Post
Thanks - these are a great buy! A pair for $16 postpaid.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I have flown my EPP Eagle for nearly two years now. I have had some repairs to make, but would consider it a good flying bird. If decent thermals are happening, it flies in them quite well. I am using a folding prop, graupners, 10x4's, and occasionally a 9x7, and don't have any issues anymore with broken blades. I'd use a prop saver if I was using standard props. It flies very high and draws allot of attention when flying near the river, turkey vultures, pelicans, hawks, eagles, etc.

I find the Eagle doesn't like allot of speed so I keep it down unless I want to do loops and sloppy rolls . I will try sloping it the next time I have the opportunity. Still one of my favorite planes (birds) to fly

One more thing, I agree that the throws are short, but I just don't need much it seems. I use the elevon setup.

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:04 AM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
At the hobby shop where I got my motor an E-fllite 400 the owner told me
that to his knowledge no prop saver will fit on the shaft or folding prop
I guess i have to take his word since he know's more than I do about this stuff.
So I guess I am stuck, I can't buy another motor no money since I am unemployed . I am still trying to get this "Bird" to fly and be in control
" I wasn't expecting it to have a mind of its own" and go where it wants to
with out me telling or steering it that takes all the fun out of it and makes me worry about hitting somthing
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:20 AM
Idaho
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
Quote:
At the hobby shop where I got my motor an E-fllite 400 the owner told me
that to his knowledge no prop saver will fit on the shaft or folding prop
I guess i have to take his word since he know's more than I do about this stuff.
So I guess I am stuck, I can't buy another motor no money since I am unemployed . I am still trying to get this "Bird" to fly and be in control
" I wasn't expecting it to have a mind of its own" and go where it wants to
with out me telling or steering it that takes all the fun out of it and makes me worry about hitting somthing
If it's this motor http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1305 shaft is 3.17mm, here's a prop saver that will work http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=3739 and I'm sure there are some folding props there too...cheap shipping on small orders...........
Twistedprop is offline Find More Posts by Twistedprop
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
There are prop savers for most shaft sizes and folding props as well. A little finger work on the keyboard will help you find them.

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
Vegemite Power
North California
Joined Aug 2009
288 Posts
Also frustrated

I have also been trying to get a decent glide. I get what others report - a glide with a sudden nose-in. So far broken the front of the bird and a wingtip.

I've gone through the COG a million times it seems.

So what have people found (other than those smarties for whom it flew out of the box)? I'm quite hesitant to apply power just yet.

Grover
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:51 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroverC View Post
I have also been trying to get a decent glide. I get what others report - a glide with a sudden nose-in. So far broken the front of the bird and a wingtip.

I've gone through the COG a million times it seems.

So what have people found (other than those smarties for whom it flew out of the box)? I'm quite hesitant to apply power just yet.

Grover
Hand launching can be a little tricky. But, before launching check that the control surfaces are as close to neutral as you can get with both the transmitter and receiver on. Check the elevator, the moveable part of the horizontal stab and make sure it is neutral or a tad up. Also check that the screws holding the pushrods are tight. Double check that transmitter and plane are powered up. Launch the glider with a pretty good toss but not up. Try and throw it smoothly and straight ahead. You have to get on the controls pretty quickly to be ready in case the elevator is too far up or too far down. Try to stabilize the pitch, up and down, in a slightly nose down angle. It helps if you can find a field with some grass about a foot or two tall to soften the landing if you are making the first tosses for trim.

Perhaps others can add some more helpful information.

Bob
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd