HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Build Log
Converting the Imex Tampa/Toyama

Some time ago ago I picked up an Imex M.V. Tampa kit from our local Hobby Lobby (Arts and Crafts store) with intensions of converting it to R/C. Upon inspection, I discovered that the Tampa was an M.S. Toyama with a complete array of shipping containers included.

It didn't take long to figure out that with all those heavy containers on the deck, the model would be so top heavy that it would probably roll over with very little provocation, so decided to work it up as the M.S. Toyama instead.

As "pool toys" go, these 18" - 20" freighters are perfect for converting static kits into running models that can be run in very small pools with very little effort.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Getting Started

The conversion began by stripping the motor out of a burned up full size servo. The prop shaft and tube were made from brass, using the kit supplied prop for propulsion. The rudder was also made up from brass. Everything in the hull was glued in using 5 minute epoxy to fill the holes. The motor was mounted to the bottom of the hull using silicone.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:15 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Finishing Up the Insides

After the main components were mounted, the basic hull assembly was completed and the remaining components were added. A small forward only ESC was used along with a 400 mah 5 cell NiMH battery, and a Futaba 2 ch. Rx. The components were placed for easy access throug the large hatch openings in the main deck. The rudder servo was secured into the hull with silicone.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Adding the Details

The rest of the assembly was done, followed by the paint work. The idea was not to get carried away with a highly detailed model, but rather to build a decent looking Freighter that I wouldn't be afraid to throw into the pond and just have fun with.

With all the assembly and painting done, it was into the tank for ballast and ballance. The model is really sensative to battery location for lateral balance, so the battery must be set in properly or the model will really list toward the heavy side. Finally, a bit of "dirtying up" was done using water based washes. And with that, she's ready for functional testing and it's off to the pond.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
The Maiden Run

In spite of the forcast for winds 10-15, it was off to the pond for a maiden in nearly calm conditions.

First, the motor acted up a bit in that occationally it wouldn't start. I finally figured out that there's probably a bad segment on the armature (probably why the servo quit working). But, I put it in the water anyway, and for the most part had a pretty fair first run. The radio was a bit glitchy, so the antenna was relocated to solve that.

After 10 minutes or so of continuous running, the hull was inspected for leaks and found to be dry, and it was back into the water.

The model ran really well, cruising nicely at about 1/3 power. After about 35 minutes total running time the drive motor quit acting up and things were running smoothly -- then the rudder servo quit working! Fortunately, it stuck in a wide LH circle, so the turn radius was controlled by adding or reducing power until the model came around. By the time I got the top off to see what went wrong, the servo was working again. So, it was back in the water for another 15 minutes of trouble free running.

In all, the little model ran very well in spite of the problems encountered. She's true and stable, and runs at a very comfortable and convincing speed. And as it turned out after running the Toyama and 2 other notoriously reliable models, it proved to be one of those glitchy, twitchy radio days that we get now and again. There were 4 of us at the pond, and nobody could make a full lap around without a bunch of jerking and twitching, so we all bagged it and went home.

So now, in the "small boat" arena, the list is up to the 20" Toyama, 18" Bahrain, 13" Tuna Clipper, 16" North Sea Trawler, 13" Deisel Tug, 19" Fireboat, and the 10" Gentlemans runabout (cut down PT hull). With a list like that it would seem that there's just nothing left to do Ideas anyone????

PAT
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
1/200 smit rotterdam or nederland
e-pay 270127193432 or 230138632760
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
I have a 1/200 Smit Rotterdam -- IT'S TINY!!! That's all the way past "pool toy" to "toylet scale"!!!

PAT
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:19 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,977 Posts
Nice job, Pat!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:10 AM
Port of Louisville
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford
1/200 smit rotterdam or nederland
e-pay 270127193432 or 230138632760
Thats the Smit Frankrijk, which is much smaller than the Smit Rotterdam (ebay# 270127193432). Could this be made r/c very successfully, I've always had the idea in my head since my liner is almost the same scale.

Phillip
Norway2112 is offline Find More Posts by Norway2112
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:39 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,094 Posts
8:10 to 8:49! Man, you just keep breaking your record building times Pat!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
As always, Pat, you never cease to amaze! Very nice ship!

As to other similarly sized craft, I'd still like to see you do the Minicraft 1/350 Titanic you mentioned in another thread, a long time ago. Although I imagine the build/detailing time would make it a long project.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
K, Come on man, give a guy a break -- My wife made me stop for dinner or it would have been done in a much more timely fashion

Actually, I've been trudging along on this one for awhile now, in my "spare time". I really get a kick out of these conversions -- keeps the hand in plastic modeling, and gives you something to play with when it's done. It truely is the best of both worlds

Oh, I almost forgot, did the LCVP too.

PAT
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
I'd still like to see you do the Minicraft 1/350 Titanic you mentioned in another thread, a long time ago. Although I imagine the build/detailing time would make it a long project.

Mark, Believe it or not, I have that kit, and have been eyeing it lately with thoughts of setting it up. At 30.5" it would be a cinch to convert, and I think I even have a set of brass railings back there for it too.
It would definitely take awhile to do, as it is a pretty complex build with all the deck details provided, but since I already did a static model from this kit for a customer a few years ago, I know where the tricky spots are and can work around them now. Though a bit crude, it is a pretty good kit, and builds into a very nice looking model. Now that is something to think about!

PAT
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Now that is something to think about!

PAT
All I can say, Pat, is that if you build it and post, you'll have an audience!

I think the attractions of the model are its size and the fact that it is reasonable:http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mmi/mmi11315.htm? There aren't too many smaller models of the ocean liner lineage available, that I have found. I only found the Minicraft because of your posting in a prior thread about it. I would assume that you have the "Deluxe" kit?

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
K, Come on man, give a guy a break -- My wife made me stop for dinner or it would have been done in a much more timely fashion

PAT
It was the dessert that slowed you down Pat!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot