SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
Question
Scale designing in solidworks DH110 sea vixen

Where should i start???

Planning on building a dh110 sea vixen for twin 90mm edf. i have some 3 views and plenty of photographs. I have done a few designs with solidworks to be cnc cut but all have been non scale so an accurate outline wasnt required.

Do i trace the 3 view, do i trace separate parts from the 3 view?

Really need some pointers here please. any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
Last edited by twchdyn; Jun 17, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: new title
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:47 AM
That motor isn't hot...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Aug 2005
425 Posts
I would set your 3 views up on the front, top and side (I can do this on Rhino3D...it adds you pictures onto the planes, so you can project lines off them)
Make all of the pics on the planes line up and be in the same scale.
Then get a centre line for the fuse and the main wing...make up as many guide lines as you can(these will not be used in the final, just for guides)Also make up from those guide lines a whole bunch of circles down the fuse.
From there, there are a number of ways you can go.

You could 'loft' the circles, to get a 'skin' of the plane.
You could then make some 3MM plates(in the case of using 3mm balsa for the formers) make them way bigger than they need to be. Copy and put them at the intervals you want the formers to be at and use the 'skin of the plane to 'cut ' or 'split' the plates. A bit like cookie cutters cutting the dough.
Vwalla! formers...

Its a start anyway.
cheers
rosco
rosco is offline Find More Posts by rosco
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:39 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
this might help ?? http://cmil.west.cmu.edu/cs/blogs/co...05/13/416.aspx

I'm certainly no expert (still struggling with lofting a .dat wing file ) but I've been looking into airframe design in solidworks myself recently and I think what was said before about image planes applies to solidworks as well....."insert" an image on a new plane in sketch mode...
google "airplane solidworks" and you'll find some discussions on how to loft or bridge airplane parts and pieces like the example above
also the included tutorials are realy pretty good

hth

steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:16 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
why do my lofts end up all wobbly, ive tried using guide curves along the top and bottom of the profiles. help me before i tear out all my hair!!!!!!!
Old Jun 23, 2007, 06:13 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
I'm not really trained in solidworks, but I have been using it for a while and the only thing I have to say about lofts is this:
When selecting each of the profiles for the loft, it helps to click on the same point (or as close as possible) on each profile. For instance, if you want to connect a set of four squares, then clicking on the lower left hand corner of each square will give you a square shaped loft, but if you click on alternate corners you'll get a mess.

Hope that helps.
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:48 AM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
yea i know what u mean about that. ive tried using several guide curves also. still comes out wonky. I will persevere!!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 02:39 AM
That motor isn't hot...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Aug 2005
425 Posts
Sorry dood, can't help you there.
cheers
rosco
rosco is offline Find More Posts by rosco
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
199 Posts
I don't use SolidWorks but I use Alibre Xpress and I think the issue is the same. On each former sketch you need to try to get the nodes or control points on the former's sketch to be in approximately the same position. So go to each former and add control nodes at positions like 0, 45, 90, 135, etc degrees then the lofting will use those control nodes for the loft and hopefully you won't have a distorted fuse. Or something like that, I'm by far no expert, I'm learning as well.
mikeperik is offline Find More Posts by mikeperik