Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 03, 2002, 04:34 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Pica P-51 Mustang (Not your average stang) Report

After an unfortunate conclusion to the Reno Racer's, sudden DEATH dive, no control of the aircraft what's so ever. I had to build enough confidence to fly the Pica P-51 Mustang .

Watching Karsa and Dave's (Edogflight), aerobatic display of speed, side by side, cutting turns, pulling limited verticals, and other tricks that you can imagine, both ACE pilots, where flying right close to eachother, side by side. Super...

Compuatic w/ his Projeti w/ mega x4 - FAST, AEROBATIC, and with his Hawk, that's just awesome to see in the air, fast as well, with stock setup. Everyone was having a blast expect me.... Well, I did fly the ACE Simple 400.

It was almost getting late 11:00am, then the wind starts to come in. No to many flyers on the field, maybe two or three. Gave PlaneKrazy the heads up (He just came down, and I must say, early) to be with me and help me out on the launch, as well, as technicalities of getting it right.

I was putting the trims last night (on the bottom) and did not notice the trims where pulling the ailerons, to where one side was not aligned with the other. Thank G* that a lot of guys, where able to give me lot's of advice and pointed out the things, to do, but I thought to myself, that a little off shouldn't hurt much.

Planekrazy (My main Bud) did an over all check, and made an adjustment on my ECLIPSE 7 (FREAK'n thing, requires a degree to fool with it.. I'm just dumb) So, pPlaneKrazy and I were finalizing everything to achieve it's successful flight.

Motor:
Mega x5 from - http://www.aircraft-world.com/default.asp

ESC: Hacker MASTER 18-3P

Battery:
8 cell - Hicell/1100s - From http://www.edogfight.com/

Prop. 7x4

RX. Hs 555

Servo: HS 55's

The maiden.

"I'll run and throw it as soon as, I you throttle up"

As soon, as Planekrazy tell go, she grooved right up. My heart was actually pumping so fast that it's hitting my rib cage. Knees shaking, the feeling of going to the bathroom, as thePica P-51 Mustang was enjoying it's first ever taste of the air and the feel for the nice Bay Area, BayLands Sun, that she was doing rolls, vertical. Wanted to do a victory pass, but said to myself "next time, not right now" just enjoy the flight and the knee shaking fun, that I'm having.

trimmed to perfection. The Pica Mustang looked awesome in the air with it's black primary color, and yellow, red, as it's secondary colors w/c gave it that mean, lean, fun flying machine.

This plane does not have any bad habits, there is nothing negative, I can say about this plane... I give this plane a "Keepers" vote. WOOOOOOOOOHhooooooooooo.. I am in love w/ another plane... (I'm so bad..LOL)

Construction of the Mustang

Preping the Stang.

------Andy Kunz. What next? Ohhh yesss!!! Baby!... Your Python is next..

Yours,
Genovia
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2002, 05:59 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
961 Posts
genovia,
it was great fun flying with all the fellas today. congrats on a nice maiden, you had great control of that plane. very nice job. i had a great time today as usuall, that hawk is pretty fast stock isnt it? great plane. BTW, my next plan is to have a 10 cell in that projeti, brushless power! see ya again in 2 weeks.
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:21 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
..from 1 coast to the other coast.....

Congratulations on both a successful maiden and on another.."journalistic endeavour"..; ... I think a couple of times you lost me, but very enjoyable overall.

Nice looking plane .....

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:27 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
That is a fine looking plane! Congrats on the maiden!!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 03, 2002, 07:35 PM
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Jan 2002
226 Posts
Geno,

Congrats on the Pica P-51 maiden flight! Now lets get some video dude!!!

I went to the park today flew my Python a few times. It had been a week since I flew it so I gave into the withdrawls.

My Wattage Giles is 99% complete, I may maiden it tomorrow after work. 130 watts per pound should be fun!!! Just need to let the loctite setup for 24 hours on the gear box. I noticed your two caps hanging on the wall. If everything goes well on mine, I will share my configuration with you.

I will take some pics and post video in a new thread after the maiden.
azflyer is offline Find More Posts by azflyer
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:49 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Hello Guys,

I just got back from my long satisfying nap. hehehe. Nice and long satisfying nap.

****it was great fun flying with all the fellas today. congrats on a nice maiden, you had great control of that plane. very nice job.****

Compuatic,

Thanks for being there on my side, It was a blast flying her, no more FEAR from balsa airplanes, the curse is gone.

Dude, your cruising with all your planes.

retiredVTT,

***Congratulations on both a successful maiden and on another.."journalistic endeavour"..; ... I think a couple of times you lost me, but very enjoyable overall. ***

Thanks, this one can go on your mega setup thread. I'm very pleased with her, and I forgot to mention that I flew her DD.
Yes, I'm sharing my joy, coast to coast.. Woohooo...

****.."journalistic endeavour"..; ... I think a couple of times you lost me***

My imagination hits minor glitch sometimes. I'm working on it.

*I'm still right now.

***That is a fine looking plane! Congrats on the maiden!! ***

Thanks Don,

She looked aggressive , the trims, to my surprise was quite visible in the air.

****Congrats on the Pica P-51 maiden flight! Now lets get some video dude!!! ****

Azflyer..... Sup! Bro..

Thanks, speaking of video's, today when I took her up. I forgot about the cameras. I was zoning to the flight, isn't that funny. Definitely, video will be my next project.

****I went to the park today flew my Python a few times. It had been a week since I flew it so I gave into the withdrawls. *** hehehehehe...

She's still rocking the sky, is she? Cool... Starting tomorrow, I'm cutting the trims for the python. I'm flying Coca Cola colors.

****My Wattage Giles is 99% complete, I may maiden it tomorrow after work. 130 watts per pound should be fun!!! Just need to let the loctite setup for 24 hours on the gear box. I noticed your two caps hanging on the wall. If everything goes well on mine, I will share my configuration with you. ****

Way to go. Giles eh? "130 watts per pound " that's super. There's a guy that fly's with us, that using a mega x4 it think, and using a GWS 300 GB.. And his getting good performance with it.. But still experimenting, what GB ratio are you using?

Share, Share, Share.. And yes! your turn Az, it's been a while since the pythons birth. My turn on the Python, and you handle the Watt-age Giles.. (this should be fun)

***I will take some pics and post video in a new thread after the maiden.***

AZ,

Would I need a website to upload video's here on Ezone?

Guys, Thank you for the kind words.

Yours,
Genovia
Old Nov 03, 2002, 10:51 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
486 Posts
Genovia, your Pica Stang looks great up close as it does in the photos you've uploaded. Congrats on the maiden flight today -- you flew it real nice.... and man, you were hooting and hollering before you had it trimmed out I know cuz it didn't take long to see the P-51 rolling and zooming all over the place
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:17 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
*****Genovia, your Pica Stang looks great up close as it does in the photos you've uploaded. Congrats on the maiden flight today -- you flew it real nice.... and man, you were hooting and hollering before you had it trimmed out I know cuz it didn't take long to see the P-51 rolling and zooming all over the place *****

Planekrazy,

You know that I owe it all to you, right? Man, without you by my side, and without the guys on my side the Pica stang.. HUM?!! Wouldn't have seen it's first flight.. Even some of the guys that read the post came down for the maiden flight, I was honored.

Your the best, bro!!! What next? E3D?

I have to get compuatic, his been clowning me with his progress in flying.. Compuatic I'm coming to get ya!!!... I'll be like and if I do, I'll be like and you'll be like ... But for now, in both of our flying category you have mastered quite well.

I can say that to Planekrazy, because his got the skills

Ohhhh!!! Tim2000.. Go full throttle already on the Mirage, the Zero is ballistic

-- Planekrazy, be sure to drop me a line before you go out of town.

yours,
genovia
Last edited by genovia; Nov 04, 2002 at 12:31 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2002, 02:13 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by azflyer
Geno,

My Wattage Giles is 99% complete, I may maiden it tomorrow after work. 130 watts per pound should be fun!!! Just need to let the loctite setup for 24 hours on the gear box. I noticed your two caps hanging on the wall. If everything goes well on mine, I will share my configuration with you.

azflyer;

could you be a little more specific on the power system of your Giles? like motor, prop, gear, cell, pack size, AUW.... it seems great to me. I love to learn since I am a very rookie... most of the time you would see me, drooling, looking at those hot rods in the sky and dream about it... because I do not know what to do about it. Thank for your help
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Old Nov 04, 2002, 02:19 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Quote:
could you be a little more specific on the power system of your Giles? like motor, prop, gear, cell, pack size, AUW.... it seems great to me. I love to learn since I am a very rookie... most of the time you would see me, drooling, looking at those hot rods in the sky and dream about it... because I do not know what to do about it. Thank for your help
What do you mean, were drolling over your Mirage and Zero and lot's of other goodies.. I think you've collected lot's of nice, very nice WWII planes.
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:46 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
geno;

your p51 is the highlight of the day... pretty impressive to the crowd... I can't wait to see your cap 232.... in two weeks? maybe?
Old Nov 04, 2002, 03:39 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Thanks Tim2000 ,

****your p51 is the highlight of the day... pretty impressive to the crowd... I can't wait to see your cap 232.... in two weeks? maybe?****

In two weeks, I'll be out with my AT-6 (winter color), F4U-Corsair (SJPD color scheme) and the Python (Coca Cola sheme). Hope to see ya then...

Tim.. Where did you get your scale again?

Thanks,
geno.
Old Nov 04, 2002, 08:50 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
geno;

i got my scale at... office max for @29.99 (don't remember exactly) ... of course... i will always be there on sunday, rain or shine... :-)
Old Nov 05, 2002, 03:13 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
****i got my scale at... office max for @29.99 (don't remember exactly) ... of course... i will always be there on sunday, rain or shine... :-)****

Thanks Tim,

Stay tuned to for my San Jose PD AT-6 Texan color scheme, F4U- Corsair's F FDNY color scheme, as well, as the Coca Cola Python (All dedicated to my friends, that works for the San Jose Police Dept. New York Fire Dept. and Coca Cola Bottlers)