HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
Help!
What are the ports of usb? and how to control the remote control through the usb?

Hi how are things going?!

I will like to know 2 things please:

1) what are the ports of usb?(that control in (in & out) remote control)

2) how to control the remote control of helicopter
that connected to the USB !
(and what are the commands to control?)

Because I want to control the remote control by the language c.
(#include<stdio.h>....void main...) you know what I mean!!
for my project in college!

Thank you very much on the help!
I realy appreciate that!!!
u1988 is offline Find More Posts by u1988
Last edited by u1988; Jun 14, 2007 at 03:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,450 Posts
It doesn't work like that. You need a good tutorial on USB. It's a lot more complex than that. If you are going to make your own USB device, start with the code generator from www.tracesystemsinc.com

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2007, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
thanks!

but there is another way?!

and mabey there is a way to control the remote control of helicopter

by srial ports you know (by SERIAL COM) 9 pins I think so!

and what are the commands to control?!

thanks for helping!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 09:43 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
You need a hardware interface to control a RC transmitter from a PC.

This is a serial port design that you can build.
http://www.mp.ttu.ee/risto/rc/electronics/pc2rcv2.htm

Here is a comercial USB interface.
http://www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.html

There are probably others.

The commands would be different for each interface.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:26 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u1988
thanks!

but there is another way?!

and mabey there is a way to control the remote control of helicopter

by srial ports you know (by SERIAL COM) 9 pins I think so!

and what are the commands to control?!

thanks for helping!
Things you need to think about.

1) - Reaction time. When flying a model helicopter via traditional radio control, the time it takes for your brain to register a movement, input the corrective control on the transmitter and for the model to receive it and adjust the servos to correct it, happens really quick. - Whatever means of control you embark on needs to run at the highest transmission rate, and IMO standard serial baud rates would not be quick enough. USB2 or Firewire would be better.

2) - you don't send commands via USB / Serial.. you send data packets These are then converted into the required movements of the control servos etc. - If you google "servo controller" or "SSC" you will find many hits for serial servo controllers that allow you to hook up a PIC micro based interface that plugs into the PC and drives 8, 16 or even 32 servos. These are often used by guys building robots such as the LYNX 6 arm. Here you enter three values to identify which servo you want to move, what direction and by what amount into the comms software and it gets sent to the interface which moves the servo. However I still feel that for controlling a heli this is not practical as by the time you type the values in and sent it to the heli it would of crashed !

3) - Cost - Ideally you need high quality sensors to provide the data on the attitude of the heli, which could then be used to send data to the PC for processing, and then the PC sends the control input back to the heli. However for this sort of automation you would need a lot of expensive sensors, a fast PC and interface / servo driver. There is a forum dedicated to un-manned self flying aircraft on RC groups - try posting over there as they might be best equiped to help.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:30 AM
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
thank you for the big help!

but you tell me that:
"you don't send commands via USB / Serial.. you send data packets "

so there is a way to record the pwm pluse from the cable that exit from the radio controller

and send that pulse back to the radio controller!

you know to recode like 7 records :
back,forword,right.....

becase I looking the simple way to do that!!!

Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:40 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
thank you for the big help!
Do I detect a note of sarcasum in that comment ?
Quote:

but you tell me that:
"you don't send commands via USB / Serial.. you send data packets "

so there is a way to record the pwm pluse from the cable that exit from the radio controller

and send that pulse back to the radio controller!
Yes there is, but it will involve hardware such a a PIC Microcontroller to read the PWM signals and convert them to the data stream that fits the USB standards, and then send them to the PC for interpretation by what ever software you write to provide the control. You will then need to reverse this process and convert the data sent back to the external hardware back into a PPM signal that can be used by the servos on the model

Quote:

becase I looking the simple way to do that!!!
There is no "simple" way to do what you want
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
1) - Reaction time. When flying a model helicopter via traditional radio control, the time it takes for your brain to register a movement, input the corrective control on the transmitter and for the model to receive it and adjust the servos to correct it, happens really quick. - Whatever means of control you embark on needs to run at the highest transmission rate, and IMO standard serial baud rates would not be quick enough. USB2 or Firewire would be better.
Dunno about that. Basically the old PPM encoding is also a serial channel, and not a very fast one at that. How many packets does it encode in a second? 50, if I'm not mistaken. With a resolution of 10 to 12 bits, for about ten channels. I'd assume USB 1.0 can manage this much bandwidth.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Last edited by MarkusN; Jun 18, 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:15 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
True, but I would still opt for the fastes possible transmission speeds, just to be on the safe side
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,450 Posts
The problem isn't one of bandwidth, it's of simplicity. Apparently u1988 has no concept of what goes on in USB, not realizing that it's a totally different animal than async. His first question points out that ignorance, which is why I referred him to look into what USB really is.

His second question concerns application. IMHO, USB is not the correct tool for the job. Unless he's flying a virtual heli in a sim.

Wireless USB might be useful to him, but he still needs to get the grasp on Question 1 first. Or get a FTDI wireless USB chip.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Andy, you hit the nail right on the head. I think u1988 has a concept that if he connected his helicopter to his PC via a long cable and typed "hover" on the keyboard it would take off and sit there in a perfect hover three foot off the deck !
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:21 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,356 Posts
Take a look at the new USB interface from MileHighWings:
http://www.milehighwings.com/
In 'Output PPM' mode, it does exactly that: controls a transmitter from a PC. You can even play back a pre-recorded flight.

Boris, MHW R&D
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
O.K

2 thing:

1) Malc C- i'm realy a respect all the help that you guys give me!! I realy do!

2) I want to be more precise about waht I want

O.K I am doing a project in my college it's about a chip HM2007

http://www.imagesco.com/articles/hm2...utorial02.html

and I want to control the remote control by commands like: back,forward......

and after I he recognize my command!

he will control the remote control by commands in c++ (#include<stdio.h>,
void main()..... you know)

And the remote control can be hook up the usb!!! or the serial!

and have for now only the usb but I can bay the other!

so that is why I need to your help!

I hope that things is more understood!
Last edited by u1988; Jun 18, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
So you want to have something like a headset on with a microphone and enter commands verbally, have the chip encode that command and send a command via usb (or some other means of transmission) to a helicopter....

Good concept, but if my flying is anything to go by you wouldn't have time to draw breath between issuing the commands, unless the helicopter was extreamly stable. The thing is you would need to add "stop" after each command, and with a helicopter you can't use simple words like "left", "right" etc as the attitude of the helicopter is in full 3 dimensions and not just in two planes.

For example lets say the heli is hovering perfectly level in all directions, with its tail pointing directly towards you. Now a gust of wind causes the heli to be blown to the right, and it banks over and points slightly down and towards the right. You would need to say "left" "up" "rotate" "stop" "stop" etc all at the same time in order to correct it. In other words you need to replicate what every pilot does with the sticks, and if you watch the sticks when someone flys a helicopter you'll see that they are constantly making small inputs in all directions.

Now I'm not saying it can't be done, and I don't mean to offend, but given the lack of knowledge you have shown on how USB works, feel that you are jumping in the deep end with this project and you're way out of your depth.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:24 PM
Japan, Mie Prefecture, Ise
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
u1988, this is an interesting project but I too believe it is not possible with our r/c helis without a lot of extra stability hardware in the heli itself. The time it takes to say "forward" can be too much of a delay. And what are you going to do if you need a little cyclic, yaw, roll and pitch all at the same time, then in different directions and combinations? If you still don't believe us, try to find a local hobby shop with a demo flight simulator and ask to fly a heli.

You might try something like the heli in the attachment. If you are not familiar with this, all it does is fly in a circle. If you limit yourself to up, down, foward, reverse and hover, the project might become more managable.
sfsjkid is offline Find More Posts by sfsjkid
Last edited by sfsjkid; Jun 18, 2007 at 02:44 PM.