HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Maiden Pictures

Some pictures from Friday's maiden for the Atlantic Harbor Tug.
The Footy has been around for awhile.
jwilliam is offline Find More Posts by jwilliam
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,262 Posts
Great pictures, I like the windmill!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:44 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
awesome...

...how do ya like her?

I got mine out and it started raining (my excuse anyway) and while I was busy trying to cover radios etc...I ran over my towline again and blew the fuse. I had just snagged a buoy so I then had my tug stuck in the middle of the pond. It is supposed to be the rescue boat…yet…once again the Nirvana sailboat came to the rescue by snagging the buoy and tug with her ballast and pulling them to shore. Then I finished the day by kicking over the boat stand and bending the rudder shaft and breaking the rudder servo gears…..aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh hh!

Had fun though!

Capt. Slick
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
...how do ya like her?

Capt. Slick
I like her a lot. The wife and daughter like it better than the Footy!
The wife took most of the pictures. In fact I had to take my daughter to the restroom and while I was doing that the wife was running the tug and taking pictures of it.

Capt. Slick, can I just push the plastic antenna tube into the rubber grommet?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliam
Capt. Slick, can I just push the plastic antenna tube into the rubber grommet?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry...YES...push it in the grommet hole!

Capt. Slick
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:19 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
What about little people?
What scale size should they be and where is a good place to get them?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:57 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Jerry...

...the scale of this tug is approximately 1/24 maybe 1/25. The "little people" would be about 3" tall for a 6 ft man. The crew is something I haven't located yet either. I am looking for something more realistic than what I've seen or found at that scale for the tug crew. If you find some good ones please let me know. I would like to have a helmsman and a man pulling some lines and/or someone at the fire monitor or climbing a ladder. The visiting crew on page 5 here is some I found for Capt. Sunshine and her all female "Motley Crew".

Capt. Slick
Old Oct 03, 2007, 03:48 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
I went sailing today and it was really windy about 23-32 mph.
I ended up getting quite a bit of water in the tug.
And I couldn't dump it out.
So I am thinking about drilling a hole someplace, maybe on the very back of the deck and putting a plug in it that I can take out.
Also I am thinking about moving the batteries for the lights and switch inside the cabin so I don't have any wires to the cabin.
And putting a Deans Antenna in the deck between the cabin and the rear hatch.
So then I can just take the cabin off when I want to and not have to deal with any wires.
So I may not need to put a hole in it if I can just take the cabin off and turn it upside down.

What do you think?

The only down side is that I would have a little weight higher up which isn't really great.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old Oct 03, 2007, 04:47 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
You could use an auto bailer. They are a small fitting that allows water to excape but not come in your hull. You just drill a hole in a low spot in your hull and epoxy it in.Theres a ball in it that allows one way flow.www.offshoreelectrics.com has them for $6.75. I've never used one, but it seems like it would work. I use a turkey baster to remove water from my runabout,but Im thinking of installing one of these auto bailers.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:35 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Auto bailers need a certain minimum hull speed to work. The speed of water flow past the fitting creates a suction that removes water from your boat. No speed = no suction. Be sure to keep the ball and it's seat clean so that the ball can float up and create a seal; otherwise, you have a hole that lets in water whenever you are stopped or are moving at under the critical hull speed.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:53 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
The auto bailer seems like a good idea, but I am not sure about putting it on the tug. The boats that have them have more of a flat bottom and the tug is really curved.
I did find this:
AquaCraft GrimRacer Hull Rubber Drain Plug
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMNK8&P=ML

I also found this guy at the Dollar store.
Last edited by jwilliam; Oct 04, 2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add picture
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:22 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Jerry...

...you can move the 2 AAs and the switch up into the main deck cabin without ill effect. They don't weigh much. I moved my receiver, sound module, horn slave module and the speaker to the very top (overhead) of that cabin. I do have a 2 lb, 4.5 amp, sealed lead acid (SLA) battery down low to compensate acting like ballast though.

I also use a turkey baster to remove water. The auto bailer may be fine at full speed but it could get a small floating piece of trash lodged in it causing more problems than its worth at slower speed. These tugs aren't very fast. If water intrusion is going to be an on going problem and you don't want to manually take the water out, you may want to consider an automatic electric bilge pump. There are lots of designs to choose from and you can make your own sensing circuit.

That plug may be the easiest answer.

Capt. Slick
Old Oct 08, 2007, 09:33 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Moved AA batteries into cabin

I moved the AA batteries and switch to inside the cabin so that I don't have any wires from the hull to the cabin.
At least for the lights.
I installed a W.S. Deans Slimline Boat Antenna in the same place as the old one. So now I can disconnect it and take the cabin all the way off.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKX49&P=7

I put is the water today and everything seems to work just fine.
I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

Just wondering about the lights.
I noticed that when the top light flashes that the cabin lights go dim.
I am wondering if anyone else has that problem?
I was thinking about using rechargeable batteries, but they don't work very well.
So I was thinking that maybe if I switched to 3 cells they would work better?
So that would be like 3.6 volts, would that be too much?
I am thinking about putting a capacitor across the little wire block in the cabin to see if that would help with the cabin lights staying on.
I am thinking that either the batteries or the wires can't deliver the current needed to run everything.
Maybe if I try some D cells, then I could find out if it is the batteries.
Anyone have an idea about how long the batteries for the lights last or how much current they draw?

Thanks!
Jerry
Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
[/Quote]
Just wondering about the lights.
I noticed that when the top light flashes that the cabin lights go dim.
I am wondering if anyone else has that problem?
I was thinking about using rechargeable batteries, but they don't work very well.
So I was thinking that maybe if I switched to 3 cells they would work better?
So that would be like 3.6 volts, would that be too much?
I am thinking about putting a capacitor across the little wire block in the cabin to see if that would help with the cabin lights staying on.
I am thinking that either the batteries or the wires can't deliver the current needed to run everything.
Maybe if I try some D cells, then I could find out if it is the batteries.
Anyone have an idea about how long the batteries for the lights last or how much current they draw? Thanks!
Jerry[/QUOTE]

Thats a good question! I have an Atlantic Harbor tug as well and I have noticed the same thing with them dimming down when the other light flashes. I tried a capacitor and it didn't help any. Maybe someone else here will have a good solution. Anyone Anyone Anyone?.........
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Anyone know about the light questions here?

I don't know the answer to the light questions guys...I don't use my lights anyway so I ripped mine out except the cabin and red and green nav lights...the ones on my new mast don't work. I'm sure someone here has the answer though... so I wrote all this to move the thread back to the top again.

Capt. Slick