Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2007, 02:38 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
People have fun with both tugs. I have only the vacutug. The smaller vacutug would handle the Footy easily, based on the larger boats we have been handling/rescuing with it this summer. I don't recall the bollard pull of the Atlantic tug, but I am pretty sure it would be more than the vacutug; so, if you are thinking of getting a big ship sometime in the future, perhaps the Atlantic tug would give you more future options. I like my vacutug a lot, and would have no hesitation recommending it to you, though. The plans are superb, as is the after-sales help from Phil Pace.

An electric tug only requires 2 channels, rudder and motor (a boat-friendly esc will deliver forward & reverse on one channel; I like the Mtronics Marine viper 15). So, you *could* run both your Footy and your tug off 1 radio :-).
esc:
http://www.mtroniks.net/mtroniks_SC_...ubCategoryID=3
my vacutug:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682182
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2007, 04:52 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
People have fun with both tugs. I have only the vacutug. The smaller vacutug would handle the Footy easily, based on the larger boats we have been handling/rescuing with it this summer. I don't recall the bollard pull of the Atlantic tug, but I am pretty sure it would be more than the vacutug; so, if you are thinking of getting a big ship sometime in the future, perhaps the Atlantic tug would give you more future options. I like my vacutug a lot, and would have no hesitation recommending it to you, though. The plans are superb, as is the after-sales help from Phil Pace.

An electric tug only requires 2 channels, rudder and motor (a boat-friendly esc will deliver forward & reverse on one channel; I like the Mtronics Marine viper 15). So, you *could* run both your Footy and your tug off 1 radio :-).
esc:
http://www.mtroniks.net/mtroniks_SC_...ubCategoryID=3
my vacutug:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682182
I did find these two: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159205.asp
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159230.asp
I am not sure what the difference is other than the price and input voltage.
But it seems like they aren't making them any more.
Seems like it would be perfect for the vac-u-tug.
How may turns do these two boat motors have?
Thanks!
Jerry
jwilliam is offline Find More Posts by jwilliam
Old Sep 09, 2007, 09:49 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
I believe the Mtronics esc's are being upgraded with new features. The names were confusing to me when I bought mine back in April. I imagine they will have what the vacutug needs, it just may have a new name. The turns in the vacutug standard motor are immaterial - it only draws 1 amp @ 7.2volts, way below the amperage a racing motor would draw, so you don't need to worry about that critera when choosing an esc for this model. One nice thing about the low power requirement is long run times; I have run the tug on a 2000mah 7.2 nicd for 5 hours of pond time before the battery started to get too low to accomplish a towing mission. Part of that 5 hours included mooring time, with the tug still turned on, so I would not claim a 5 hour cruise.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:22 AM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
So I take it those are 6-cell packs.
I have a few 2/3A 7-cell 1200mah & 1500mah packs that I use in my airplane.
But they are more for high current
They only weigh about 6 oz.
So do you know which of the ESC's I listed above you have?
I am thinking that either one would work.
One will take up to 8-cells and the other 10-cells, so I would think the cheaper one would be fine.
I did see the Rental mod. that takes out some of the weight and added a 6-cell pack that is 9,500 mah. But they don't list a cost.
I think it would be over kill for me.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:09 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
The reasons for my changing electronics was more because I wanted more channels. I wanted a working tow line release and sound mods. So while I was changing radios I decided to go with a 6 volt sealed lead acid battery to power everything with too. One thing led to another. I wanted something different and that is why I made all the changes.

The radio and esc that comes supplied with the boat work just fine. Just drop in batteries and go.

Capt. Slick
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
The reasons for my changing electronics was more because I wanted more channels. I wanted a working tow line release and sound mods. So while I was changing radios I decided to go with a 6 volt sealed lead acid battery to power everything with too. One thing led to another. I wanted something different and that is why I made all the changes.

The radio and esc that comes supplied with the boat work just fine. Just drop in batteries and go.

Capt. Slick
Capt. Slick
Tell me more about your battery. Do you have a link to something like it?
What size is it, how long does it last, how do you recharge it, how long does it take to recharge.
Thanks!
Jerry
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
I'm working on my tug. Some questions.
1. How did you do the water pick up for the water cannon?
2. Did anyone remove any of the battest weights?
if so how. Pictures would help.

Thank you
Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:21 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Jerry...

The 6 volt battery I use is available at Lowes or most any home Home Depot or similar store. I paid about $15.00 for a 4.5 amp hour one. Look in the emergency lighting section. You can also get them online at

http://www.batteryplex.com/powersonic.cfm

This one is similar to the I use in 2 of my boats.

http://www.batteryplex.com/powersoni...20with%20F1%29

I recommend you put a fuse in line somewhere in case you wrap a line around your prop. It will prevent a melt down. Saved me already!

I can run for hours and still have plenty. A smaller amp/hour one will probably work fine too.

Millertime...

I have not hooked up the pump/fire monitor or drilled a hole for it yet. When I do it will be port side just below the waterline with a screen over the hole.

I could not remove my ballast...it is in the boat with an unbelievable amount of glue. My tug is able to handle all the extra stuff even without removing the ballst. Look at the thread for pics of the arrangement of things and ask me any thing that is unclear.

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
Jerry...

The 6 volt battery I use is available at Lowes or most any home Home Depot or similar store. I paid about $15.00 for a 4.5 amp hour one. Look in the emergency lighting section. You can also get them online at

http://www.batteryplex.com/powersonic.cfm

This one is similar to the I use in 2 of my boats.

http://www.batteryplex.com/powersoni...20with%20F1%29

I recommend you put a fuse in line somewhere in case you wrap a line around your prop. It will prevent a melt down. Saved me already!

I can run for hours and still have plenty. A smaller amp/hour one will probably work fine too.

Millertime...

I have not hooked up the pump/fire monitor or drilled a hole for it yet. When I do it will be port side just below the waterline with a screen over the hole.

I could not remove my ballast...it is in the boat with an unbelievable amount of glue. My tug is able to handle all the extra stuff even without removing the ballst. Look at the thread for pics of the arrangement of things and ask me any thing that is unclear.

Capt. Slick
Yes, that would be a great battery. I see it laying down in one of the pictures. Fuses are a good thing, I have seen burning wires before.
Also they probably don't discharge sitting for the most part.
I think the super brain charger I have would charge it just fine.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:01 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Thanks All,
HH what amp fuse did you use? I'm thinking of useing a 12v 4.5 AH.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
Thanks All,
HH what amp fuse did you use? I'm thinking of useing a 12v 4.5 AH.
I'm using a flat blade 10 amp automotive style fuse and sealed holder. It blew like it should when I wrapped my tow line around the prop. Here is a pic of the holder with fuse inside in front of the battery.

Capt. Slick
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Sep 12, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
New owner of Atlantic Harbor Tug

I now have an Atlantic Harbor Tug, got it yesterday.
And I have a few questions.
I bought a 6V 4.5mah battery and am wondering about the placement in the boat.
I don't see the switches for power and lights in your picture.
I also don't have the extra servo.
So I am thinking about putting the battery where the normal battery would go and moving the switches to the front of the little wood board they are through now.
I am also wondering about the antenna, it came already threaded, but the little tube is laying down.
What do I have to do with it to make it stand up?
Also wondering about the 2 pieces of foam in the boat.
Do I just leave them?

Thanks!
Jerry
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:05 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Jerry…congrats on the new tug…you will love it! About your questions…

1.) The battery placement...I placed mine in front of the servo tray because it was the furtherest aft location I could place it. It will fit on top of the tray if you remove the switches but I felt it was too high up. A heavy weight up that high will make your boat rock-n-roll more than if it is placed lower.
2.) The switches…I lost the power switch that goes to the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) when I replaced it with one that doesn’t have a switch. I added an inline power switch under my winch aft. (See earlier post here about it). The other switch to the lights is there, but you can’t see it because it is tucked up under the deck out of the way. I don’t use it much.
3.) The extra servo…Don’t worry about that servo…it powers a push/pull rod that releases my tow rope. It was added to give me the capability to use the tug to place maker buoys etc….again see earlier posts here.
4.) The antenna…I replaced mine as you can see….but the one you have just needs to be tucked into the rubber grommet/hole on the deck behind the stack. You should be able to push it into that hole and remove it anytime you want to.
5.) The foam….its there to keep her afloat should she founder. I removed mine as I don’t use the tug anywhere I see that as a possibility….unless a goose or turtle goes mad!

You will need to place some ballast weight aft. Lets us know how you like it and take some pics please.

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Well here are some pictures.
So are you saying that I can push the little plastic tube inside the rubber gromet so that antenna will stand up?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:23 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Atlantic Harbor Tug Fire Monitor!!

See it here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741221