HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,732 Posts
Hey Guys,

One of our clubs relatively new guys bought a Atlantic as his first boat. It serves a good purpose in letting someone get started quickly. We have been urging him to make some cosmetic mods as a way to improve the looks and give him some confidence in working on the boat. The first thing he did was move the lifeboat and davit to the cabin roof where it belongs. The next thing he will probably do is tone down the shiny paint. Maybe a little weathering is in order too. If I didn't screw up attaching the photo you can see the new lifeboat location[IMG]IMGA0260.JPG [/IMG]
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:04 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,035 Posts
I think that is the perfect use of an RTR, Prins- To allow someone new to enjoy the fun with minimum time investment up front and to allow them to develop some modeling skills in increments... Some of us with a few boats under our belts may forget how intimidating a multi-month project that starts out as a box of wood or just drawings can be...
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,280 Posts
Yeah, it works wonders. Look at what Cap'n Nick of the Hansen Dam Irregulars has done with an RTR:
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:45 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,732 Posts
On of our members picked up a couple of scratch & dent Bristol Bays from Tower Hobbies last fall. He sold them at cost to interested members. One boat you would barely recognize. I don't have the pictures to post here so I put the Feb 07 newsletter links back on the WSBA website Shipyard Page. There is a review of the conversion in that issue with a explanation of the mods and two good pics. The member who did it just wanted to try the project for "what the heck". The boat made it's debut at the Wisconsin Boat Show. He sold it to another member before the show was over. A good example of a little imagination.

Wisconsin Scale Boating Assoc. Website Shipyard Page
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,280 Posts
I copied it for you PW. That is another amazing conversion!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:40 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,732 Posts
Thanks Kmot
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:47 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Update on Tug

Another Tub Test. I installed the battery out of my schooner (6 volt-7 amp gel cell) and ran the tug at full throttle (forward and back) for a torture test this weekend. She ran fine for about 70 min until the ESC started glitching on and off. I checked voltage at this point and it was about 4.9 volts. I chose this ESC based on a post I read here about using it in this tug with a 6 volt battery. The Hitec EZX-R is not going to cut it. I’m replacing it with an Associated A.I. Quantum Runner Plus Reverse ESC. This is my first electric boat and I guess this is going to be another trail and error adventure.

The 7 amp battery/current ballast is not going to work either. They used a ton of rock hard epoxy to glue down the ballast in this thing. I about put a hole in the thin glass bottom trying to pry up the ballast bars. No luck! The battery is too heavy where it sits on the bottom of the hull forward of the servo tray. I can stand it up on the servo tray. It fits there and the weight is shifted far enough aft to give me a good waterline, but it makes the tug more top heavy than I like. So…I will be going to a 1 lb lighter 4.5 amp gel cell and Velcro it to the bottom of the hull forward of the tray.

She also leaked about 3 table spoons of water up the rudder shaft. I need to make the shaft taller or try to seal it better….maybe it needs some grease.

I received an apparently seized up Ram bilge pump. Can’t get it to do anything except heat everything up and light its light. I’m not sure if I even want one at this point. I will be sending it back to Tower. I ordered some goodies for it from Harbor Models and all in all…I’m still happy with the tug, and I think my 1st mate likes it too!

I will continue to post as I refurbish her.

Robert

“Weevils…the breakfast of iron men sailing wooden ships!”
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:15 PM
Altivolus per Aquila
United States, CT, Naugatuck
Joined Sep 2006
325 Posts
Goodies from Harbor Models, sounds good!
Soar Master is offline Find More Posts by Soar Master
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,392 Posts
Hoghappy: Info too late for you, perhaps, but I ran my Vac U tug with 4 blade prop and standard motor for 2 hrs yesterday. According to the battery charger, the tug used 1/2 the amp hrs of the 2000mah battery. So, 3-4 hours run should be obtainable with the pretty much standard 7.2v rc car battery. If you were using it just as a rescue tug for your Schooner, of course the battery would last longer since you only need to turn on the tug before launching a rescue. Vac U tugs build rapidly if you forgo adding scale detail stuff. The construction speed record is on the order of 2 evenings; waiting for paint to dry is the most time consuming part, but if you like white, you don't even have to paint it :-).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jun 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:41 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Ideas for capstain winch?

Me again...I stripped the tug last night. This thing is built better than I hoped. All the decks and bulkheads are thin glass and or wood. The stack is ABS as are all the detailed parts. I'm not sure what they used to coat/finish this thing with but it is hard and thick, but it is not going to stay glossy!

I am looking to add a capstain winch aft and possibly forward. Haven't seen anyone use one on this model yet. They will be static. The aft winch will hide my installed 15 amp push pull switch to the in line automotive fused main power supply (6 volt battery). I soldered in the 30 amp flat blade style fuse holder between the battery and power switch on the neg side and used all 12 gauge wire. I have a 10 amp fuse in it now. How much can this stock 550 motor draw? What do y'all recommend for fuse rating and is the fuse in a good spot electrically?

I'm looking for a 1/24 scale winch already built or to fab one myself. I thought I would just get a wooden thread spool and modify it, but I can't find one. They are all thin plastic. When did they quit making those things out of wood?

I have a drill press and maybe can turn it into a low speed lathe but I have my doubts about getting a big dowel into the chuck. Any ideas on this one guys?

Thanks

Robert

"Weevils...the breakfast of iron men sailing wooden ships!"

PS...thanks Brooks...but it is too late...I'm already too deep into this adventure and I will be playing with this tug a lot besides using it for rescue. It will need to have long battery life at a decent cost. I hope I can do this with the 6 volt 4.5 amp gel cells. I can get 2 or 3 of those and swap them out as needed.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
if you're reasonably good at drilling on center...run a bolt through your dowel, and then chuck the bolt. might find thread spools at a craft shop.
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Last edited by Rex R; Jun 19, 2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: speeling
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Hoghappy,
Another thought about those winches. Not having any dowel of the right diameter, I happened to run across an old empty marker pen (never throw those good thingys away, you'll regret it). Thought that if it were cut off a bit, maybe painted, it'd make a pretty good 'reel' part for a wench. Cut it, and after removing all the ink that wasn't as 'gone' as I thought, glued on some frame work and painted the thing. Not hard to tell it isn't exactly 'scale', but who cares, it worked.
- 'Doc

Acetone removes ink very well, even from your hands. Hope you don't have any scratches, it hurts like @#$$ too!
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
My wife says I should have gotten a kit!

Well…I’ve done about all the damage I think I can until I get my work station (used office desk) delivered this week. I had to give up my shipyard cause the first mate wanted to have a guest bedroom….geeez….who needs another bedroom? Anyway…here are some pics of the tug. My wife says I should have gotten a kit…what do you think? Although she looks bad right now, she is still ready to sail on a moments notice (wife and/or tug). That is the reason for the RTR….plus….this is my first electric boat since the 70s, and I have a very steep learning curve.

That is the “Prince de Neufchatel” in the background. She is in approximate scale (1/24) with the tug to give some perspective on her size in comparison to the tug. I think the tug is about 1/25 scale. As you can see…I removed almost everything including the glass. I will keep the bollards for now. The towing bollard is ABS but screwed through the glass deck and seems strong enough. Next to it is the new 15 amp push pull switch that will be under the capstan winch to be built up from a modified wooden thread spool.

My next question is this…I need to be able to have an emergency breakaway system for the tow line. If I am towing the schooner and a wind should come up, I will then have a situation where the schooner could pull the tug backwards and sink her. I need to have a way to release the line. I have a servo available for that but don’t want to reinvent the wheel unless I need to. What system are you guys using, if anything?

Robert

“Weevils…the breakfast of iron men sailing wooden ships!”
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jun 21, 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:06 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Robert,
I think a servo pulling a pin of some kind would probably be the simplest method. If you have the radio system to handle the 'extra' channel, and the 'extra' servo.
I was going to ask how a sailboat could sink a tug, but after seeing the size of each, I don't think I need to ask.
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:23 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,280 Posts
Quote:
My wife says I should have gotten a kit!
Or at least bought it from the Tower "Scratch & Dent" page.

Mine was from there and all the deck parts were already removed.