HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by magic612, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:46 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Discussion
The "Scratchbuilt Foamies" Appreciation Thread

Okay, since I seemed to have stirred up a small hornet's nest with my "other" thread , let me offer one that is more uplifting and hopefully far less controversial.

There's a lot of guys on here from whom I have learned an enormous amount. I'm sure I won't remember everyone that I learned everything from, but there are many that stick out in my mind, and I'd like to make sure that I publicly acknowledge their contribution and thank them for it.

My intent is not to embarrass anyone, and I know that even I have a hard time saying, "Thank you" when someone appreciates what I've done. So even if you just say, "Thank you" under your breath at home in front of your computer, that's fine. No responses necessary (but you can if you want to, so don't feel like you can't say "You're welcome", either).

And anyone else that wants to show their appreciation for another person that posts here in this forum, feel free.

gpw - dude, I've learned TONS from your designs. I love the smallish F-14 thing, building a larger, semi-scale full fuse version of it now. Probably will build another one of your plans so I don't crash my big one. Your EZ Canard is probably one of my favorite planes. And the Trainer One plane is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant trainer plane designs ever. Prop can't get smacked, since it's a high wing pusher. Wing tips can't get scuffed, due to dihedral. Rights itself by letting go of the sticks. Flies slow. Easy to build. What more could one ask for?

Gene Bond - I don't think I've ever built one of your planes, but I learned a lot by looking at the designs and reading your posts. Your contributions here are truly priceless.

golem - the guy who built my "Little Go Bipe" design and flies it better than me! Thanks for all your thoughts on my plane, and your encouragement. VASTLY appreciated by me. One of these days I'll get to the "Star Cobra", but, as per usual, not enough time or extra servos laying around!

ewo - I built your F-16, but I think I built it wrong, because I couldn't get it to fly right. I am quite sure it wasn't a design error, and pretty sure I just built it wrong. But it sure was interesting watching an F-16 roll across a parking lot at 30 MPH! (I had landing gear on mine for ROG attempts). Your other designs have inspired me too. I appreciate the plans you've shared here.

Stephan8 - Thanks for building my "Little Go Bipe" too, and sharing your success / failures with it. I appreciate you posting pictures, videos and your thoughts about it.

Logical Psycho - That massive 3-View thread you made has been indispensable to me! I refer to it routinely (and thank my lucky stars I have high-speed connections at work and home) and would never be able to find that many 3-views and compile them in one place like that. My "Stephens Akro" design came about because you had that 3-view in that thread.

JAM - for routinely updating the "Free Plans" thread. That takes time, is a thankless job, and is highly appreciated by many here (especially me!). I've learned a lot perusing the plans there, even if I haven't built more than a handful of them. It's a huge benefit to this community, and I, for one, appreciate the time you spend updating it.

That's all I can think of for now. I may think of more later. If anyone else wants to chime in with their appreciative thoughts, feel free to add to this so others know you have benefitted from them.

A little thanks goes a loooooooong way...

EDIT: Italics tags.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Last edited by magic612; Jun 14, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
Now, what a refreshing idea!

I want to thank Prop-er for his great designs, wonderful build threads and his willingness to help out us newbies who have questions. I built and fly his Double Duplex Delta, and love it. Thanks

Also want to thanks Jetset44. I am in the process of building his magnificent DR-1. This is the first "scale" foamy I have ever built, and it is sure stretching my skills I really appreciate the great plans, help on the build thread and his willingness to share his planes.
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Great idea for a thread.
I've learned tons of things in this forum. One thing sticks out though, i learned to fly(after a lot of expensive tries) with the Slowstang, by Gene Bond.
Thanks Gene, for sharing plans, ideas and know-how everywhere here on the forum.
habbe is offline Find More Posts by habbe
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,440 Posts
I appreciate the contribution that Magic612 has made to bringing canards into the scene of models with something unique to offer. His thoughts have been valuable to me.. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
Missouri, near St. Louis
Joined Sep 2004
299 Posts
Magic- I have been thinking about starting a thread like this for a few days now, but I got sidetracked due to a new member of the family making an appearance on Monday. I have learned so much from this particular forum. There are alot of designers here that I have not built planes from, but I still appreciate their contributions and ideas. I have started making a few designs of my own since I joined here, but I have no way of making plans and posting them to share. No great loss to the community, really. They are nothing very unique or interesting, so I never really bothered. BUT, I have always wanted to "give back" since I have gotten so much from everyone here. So recently, I thought maybe I could start a thread like this....but you beat me to it. That's ok though. I just want to say thanks to everyone's input here. In particular, I have really enjoyed Gene's, Jerbear's, GPW's, and Sloper Steve's designs, input and knowledge. And magic, thanx for that little bipe!
dooky is offline Find More Posts by dooky
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
Hans-Joachim for his amazing build method (which I'm in process of copying) and generous posting of plans.

Grejen for his building tips. Learned a lot from them (not that I didn't from others, but he at times has very non-conventional ideas on how to do certain things - I found the scratchbuild forum through one of his posts)

Serban
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
Heck Yeah!!! I appreciate everybody that has free plans available to us! I think I've built and crashed, a few of everybodies. I give props to WaterDogs great build guides. Those were great and very well explained in layman's terms especially for a fresh noob like myself. Now I feel I am a more seasoned noob now, and crashing a bit less and throwing out destroyed foamies less often. I also agree a "BIG THANKS" to JAM for maintaining that thread. I frequent it very often for the next project.

Gene, gpw, Magic, ewo, Waterdog, Mr.Flash, firetrappe and the list goes on. You guys don't know how much we appreciate the help you give us all. You are all truly assets to the RC community.
Liquorice is offline Find More Posts by Liquorice
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
I would like to thank Jetset44 for his F15. I had so much fun flying it and it lasted for more than a year! May be time to build another one, lighter version may be.

Also, would like to thank waterdog for his STC. I fly the STC almost everyday for more than one year. Now into my second one and needed a little fixing and gluing, but will be up and flying again.

Also thanks for other people that posted free plans. So many plans, so little time.

Rlu
rLu is offline Find More Posts by rLu
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:52 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Thanks to everybody....

One of the amazing advances in my modeling experience is the advent of the internet. A few months ago, when I discovered this forum I was amazed at all the information available to the most experienced model and newbies alike and the ability to communicate with fellow modelers from around the world.

I've become adicted to scratch foamies and have enjoyed the many hours I've spent surfing for answers on this website about how to become a foamie modeler. Many of the tricks I learned are from posters who I don't remember. As an example, I don't remember who gave me the tip about using white glue on poster-board to easily remove the paper backing, yet that tip has save me numerous hours of messy pealing off paper.

That being said I would like to directly thank Tony65x55 for his monobloc theory and his BluBaby, SE5 plans and guidance on how to really enjoy foamie modeling. Kudos also go to Firstshirt and Rusty-Gunn for the personal communications and development of great internet friendships.

Lastly, thanks to you Magic612 for reminding me to show my appreciation for the contributions of all the posters here. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:59 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
I'd like to thank Supi, Gpw, Gene Bond, Jam, and logical psycho. They really inspired me.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:20 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
I'd like to take the time to Thank everyone who had a really good time building and flying my humble designs...You guys and your feedback make it all worth while ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:43 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Ya know what's the neatest thing I think about these build threads by the designers? Not only are they kind enough to put the plans up, and go thru the build, but years after the first posts, some new guy posts that he's building one, and the designer chimes right in and helps the new guy with his problems, and sticks with him till he gets it right.!! That's what amazes me.

My first foamie was a well repaired Slow stick, crashed and battered a lot as i learned to fly (2 years ago) Then i saw a guy fly Gene Bond's Gym-Blu at a local club open house, and I was hooked. That was my first foamie build.

My cellar is full of FF's, some air worthy and some gearless, a sort of who's who sampling of planes from a great bunch guys. Thanks to one and all!

I think it'd be neat to take a picture out on the grass of all the foamies hanging around, that have been built from this great thread. Everyone could post a pic on this thread of their foamies grouped together, be interesting to see all the different ones.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:45 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Alright....thankfulness!!! My favorite.

So Magic- Thanks for the great GoBipe wich made me scratch my head as well as have a crazy front yard bipe that would slo fly as well as go nuts.

UFly- I love your Hover Machine. I have built 3 and they fly like nothing else! Great hover trainers!

GPW- thanks for all the work you have done to move this foam thing forward. Plus your Trainer1 is now teaching my whole neighborhood how to fly. This is my second one and I will always have A Trainer1 in the quiver for all those that look at my pile of foam and say "those really fly, huh?" And I take them inot the front yard and have them flying in a minute or two. Including my 4 year old son!

UBuildit- The clam! Need I say more. Your funky ideas keep me reading!

Thanks
Stephan8 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan8
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:03 PM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
I want to thank ewo again for all the help he has given me. I also want to thank this website as a whole for actually existing. without it many people would not be into these hobbies from cars to boats to house insulation airplanes. I mean before this website i didn't even know about foamies. You guys are all great for each other and for newbies. Thanks for everyones insites and opinions on many different things.

Steven
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
deleted - see my blog
Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Last edited by Larry3215; Jun 28, 2007 at 02:48 AM.