HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2002, 12:04 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2002
1 Posts
Old Futaba Radio Questions

I have several old Futaba radios. An AM and two FMs from the early 90's. I haven't used them in about 7 years and I realize the NiCds will need to be replaced. I assume they have Nimh packs that will fit these. I'd like to get back into flying again. I have several 1/2 A kits. I believe they're referred to as "slimers" these days. What rekindled my interest are these micro electrics, IFO etc. I was talking to someone who has been playing with these micros and he says that one can easily fly in a small area and for long durations (~ 20+ minutes using Li ion cells). Now for my questions:

1) Can I still purchase micro receivers and serveros for these old radios (I realize old is a relative term, I can remember using Kraft and Cox radios)?

2) I checked on Tower Hobbies website and the Futaba radio choices looked pretty slim. I remember when the Tower catalog was the "bible" and Futaba was king. If I have to buy a new setup, is Hitec and Airtronics comparable?

3) Not the right forum, but any thoughts on the micro rc kits?
Machnone is offline Find More Posts by Machnone
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2002, 02:59 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
compatibility with the new aircraft receivers should be ok, so long that you're using the "narrow band" transmitter type which matches up to all of the new receivers...... otherwise, you may be splattering over onto other channels on either side and affecting (crashing) other users on those other channels........ kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Nov 06, 2002, 06:31 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
A "gold" stickered transmitter should be OK. I would still check with others at the field (and turn it on when their planes are on the ground).

I too have just returned after a short hiatus. I quit flying when I lost my favorite plane to interference. When I decided it was time to get back into RC, the first thing I bought was a new radio.

The difference between you and I is, all of my old radios were AM which, in my area, are way more prone to being "hit" then the FM radios. Besides, if you just want to try out the micro stuff, you can buy one of the low-end 3 or 4 channel systems for about the same price as a flight pack.

As to kits, check out the "Parkflyers" forum. It has lots of information about the type of plane you were asking about.

Clear skies.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Apr 04, 2008, 04:20 PM
Holbrook N.Y
Joined Apr 2008
2 Posts
Hi
I have an older Futaba FP-T7UAF Super That i have not used for about 10yr
I Retired last yr and I want get back into the hobby
I have 3 plane's on this radio that all worked great, So when I charge up the batteries and turned on the Radio, To my suprise Channels 1&4 were reversed. 1 is now Rudder and 4 is now Aileron's
dose anyone have any idears on how I can get things back to normal

Thanks for any help
RJR50 is offline Find More Posts by RJR50
Last edited by RJR50; Apr 04, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 04:56 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,161 Posts
RJR50, your transmitter can be programmed for Mode1 or Mode2. You are now in mode 1, just program to Mode 2 and it will be back like it was before.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 04, 2008, 06:34 PM
Holbrook N.Y
Joined Apr 2008
2 Posts
I have looked in the book and i can't figure out how ti get from mode 1 to mode2
the only mod i see is for PCM or PPM and that didn't work
RJR50 is offline Find More Posts by RJR50
Last edited by RJR50; Apr 04, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:05 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Depending on the radio...

We used to just change the order of the channels, swapping channel 1 and 3 by plugging the servos in differently.
Then swap the throttle spring and aileron centering device from stick to stick....

That worked fine when the radio offered no computer mixing.

Only with a radio where you will be doing mixing does the channel order really matter. Thats one reason that JR, Airtronics and Futaba ended up with different standards.
JR: CH1 = Throttle, Ch2 = aileron
Futabe Ch1 = aileron, Ch3 = throttle
Airtonics Ch1 = throttle, Ch3 = aileron
(If I remember correctly... I know the Futaba is right)

For computer radios (or some of the radios such as Futaba 6DA that have mixing without computer) You have to either:
A) find a switch or software setting to remap the sticks...
or
B) you have to get in there with a soldering iron to swap modes.
(if you want the mixing to work right... Its kind of annoying when "Elevon" mixes throttle with elevator)

You can just plug servos different and then use programable mixes instead of "built in mixes"... sometimes...
But doing anything odd such as that will make use of a "Buddy cord" impossible.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:20 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
RJR50, your transmitter can be programmed for Mode1 or Mode2. You are now in mode 1, just program to Mode 2 and it will be back like it was before.
Are you sure? I do not believe that radio has stick modes.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Apr 04, 2008, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The manual:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/7uaf-7uap-manual.pdf

If it has resettable modes (I had one but never tried) the info is usually near the BACK of the manual.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The manual is having problems downloading here...

There is indication that it was at least available in Mode I or II.
The part where it would be expected to show how to change modes hasn't come through.