HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tha Hodgehound, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Build Log
Complete!

Finished the SSX Nite Stik today!!! Here are the final pics.... If you want to see how she came to be, look at my "Build BLOG"....
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:20 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
That is VERY NICE! Great job! That will be a blast to fly at night.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:32 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Thanks man! It was a lot of work, but now that I get to look at the result, it was definately worth it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:13 PM
Lucky
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts
Whoa!

That is by far one of the coolest night flyers I have ever seen! When are you gonna maiden it? Let me know how the first flight goes.

-Todd
Todd Pirtle is offline Find More Posts by Todd Pirtle
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Thanks Todd, I say it's finished but, you can bet she'll have more lights on her than that! Those are just the ones built inside the wing. I'm gonna light the tail with some stick on type flasher LEDs and I got some bright white ones to tape on to light the ground up on low passes. I hope to maiden it this weekend! When I get her lit up with everything I'm gonna fly it with I'll definately take some more pics and post them on the build thread in my blog. I'll keep everyone updated on how she flies. If it flies like the ones jkarpy had at SEFF she'll be a blast!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hodgehound; Jun 14, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Nice job! That looked like it was hard to build, but it certainly paid off!

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:06 AM
junkman
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2004
219 Posts
I would like to do something like this but don't know what size resistors, wiresize, and leds to purchase and where to get them. I would appreciate any help that you can offer. Also a good place on line to purchase the leds, wire, and resistors would help. I would like to power the leds off the receiver.
Thanks
Doug Cheatwood
Douglas Cheatwo is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Cheatwo
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Nice job! That looked like it was hard to build, but it certainly paid off!

Bill
Thanks but I cheated....I talked jkarpy from www.millenniumrc.com to build the wing but not cover it. Then all I had to do was wire up the LEDs and cover it! It was still time consuming. These photos do it NO justice...she is awesome! Check out jkarpys site there are a few pics of other peoples SSX's. Also look down further in my blog to see how it looked when I started.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Cheatwo
I would like to do something like this but don't know what size resistors, wiresize, and leds to purchase and where to get them. I would appreciate any help that you can offer. Also a good place on line to purchase the leds, wire, and resistors would help. I would like to power the leds off the receiver.
Thanks
Doug Cheatwood
Go to www.oznium.com This was my first led project and the web site is pretty user friendly.There is even an area that shows you how to wire them in series or parallel. Mine are in parallel. I bought loose leds and resistors,(I think the LEDs were 5 mm) then went to Radio Shack and bought some extremely light "Magnet Wire". I ordered some extra LEDs in case some did not work but it was not enough so I emailed Oznium and asked what they could do and they sent me a pack of ten free of charge! Good customer service, the guy even asked to see some pics when I got done. So I sent him a few, and now they are on the Oznium site! Be sure to get 10 or 20 extra(they are cheap enough it won't break ya) just in case some don't work. I'm sure Quality Control is a nightmare on stuff like that just because of the enormous quantity they deal with! Check further down my blog for pics of the wire, resistors and such in the build log. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me more if you need to. This kind of lighting is not hard just time consuming! Oznium has all different kinds of lighting options. My LEDs are plugged into the Rec. and have a micro on/off switch so I don't have to unplug them to turn them off too. Good Luck and I'll be happy to answer more questions if need be!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
Thanks but I cheated....I talked jkarpy from www.millenniumrc.com to build the wing but not cover it. Then all I had to do was wire up the LEDs and cover it! It was still time consuming. These photos do it NO justice...she is awesome! Check out jkarpys site there are a few pics of other peoples SSX's. Also look down further in my blog to see how it looked when I started.
Eh, there's nothing wrong with cheating... as long as you have a good reason why you did it

It still looked like hard work, though (I looked at the pictures in your other blog when you first started building it).

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jun 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Reason for cheating.......TIME LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Looks amazing, great work!

gp125racer
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:45 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Thanks gp!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:01 AM
junkman
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2004
219 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I have contacted Oznium and am waiting for a reply.
Thanks again
Doug
Douglas Cheatwo is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Cheatwo
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Maiden Success!

Got the maiden in today....FINALLY!!!! Talk about non events! I was all nervous and stuff,took off, 2 clicks right ail., 2 clicks down elev., and I was flying her like an old beater! Loops, rolls, inverted, even a flat spin upright and inverted....on the maiden flight! The SSX Nite Stik ROCKS!!! !! I can't be happier about the result of this project!
RCG Plus Member