HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which Of These Planes Have You Owned?
E-Flite P-47D 14 7.91%
GWS Zero 17 9.60%
GWS E-Starter 39 22.03%
GWS Tiger Moth 48 27.12%
GWS Beaver 24 13.56%
GWS Pico Stick F 18 10.17%
Hobby Lobby Electro 6' Telemaster 10 5.65%
Hobby Zone Super Cub 20 11.30%
IFO 16 9.04%
Lightflite Bug 9 5.08%
Mini Ultra Stik 19 10.73%
Molt Models Tyro & Tyro 150 4 2.26%
MM/Laser Arts Switchback Sport 17 9.60%
MM/Laser Arts Eva Sport 5 2.82%
Mountain Models DuskStick 7 3.95%
Mountain Models Magpie 13 7.34%
Mountain Models SmoothE Sport 18 10.17%
Mountain Models Switchback 3D 12 6.78%
Multiplex Easy Star 40 22.60%
Multiplex Easy Glider 22 12.43%
Mulitplex Twinstar II 15 8.47%
NightHawk 3D 2 1.13%
Parkzone Typhoon 14 7.91%
Push-E-Cat 12 6.78%
Stevens Aero SQuiRT 15 8.47%
Stevens Aero Groove 7 3.95%
Stryker 24 13.56%
SuperFly 16 9.04%
Superstar E 9 5.08%
Unicorn Wing 12 6.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Poll
Most Reliable RC Planes That You Have Picked III and Planes You Have Owned Poll

Here is an updated list of the most reliable RC planes. These inputs were derived from the following two threads.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Based on all your inputs, I think we have captured the 30 most reliable planes available today. Thanks for all your help in putting the list together. Unfortunately, I can't update the poll once I submit it, but I can edit this post with additions.

Column definitions.

Type = Pilot skill level required.

Build Skill = Skill required to build model (if kit)

Remarks = Remarks

Airplane & Link..............................Type....................Build Skill....................Remarks

1. Stevens Aero SQuiRT..................Beginner.................Easy... ...............Great Trainer Airplane

2. Stryker

3. Mini Ultra Stik

4. Superstar E

5. Multiplex Easy Star....................Beginner.................Easy. .................Can also be an RTF

6. Multiplex Easy Glider

7. Parkzone Typhoon

8. SuperFly

9. Push-E-Cat.............................Beginner............. .....Easy..................Great Trainer Airplane -Very Durable

10. NightHawk 3D by combatwings.com

11. Unicorn Wing

12. IFO

13. GWS Zero

14. MM/Laser Arts Switchback Sport .......Novice................Easy................. ..Great Aileron Trainer -Fantastic Flying Plane

15. Hobby Lobby Electro 6' Telemaster

16. GWS E-Starter

17. E-Flite P-47D

18. MM/Laser Arts Eva Sport

19. Molt Models Tyro & Tyro 150

20. Mulitplex Twinstar II

21. GWS Tiger Moth

22. GWS Beaver

23. Mountain Models DuskStick

24. Mountain Models Magpie

25. Mountain Models SmoothE Sport

26. Lightflite Bug

27. Mountain Models Switchback 3D

28. Stevens Aero Groove

29. Hobby Zone Super Cub

30. GWS Pico Stick F
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Jun 30, 2007 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There's only one model on that list that I own, and if I had to say I've owned an "unreliable" model, I'd say it's the IFO, becuase it was so easily damaged compared to others I've got. You could say that's pilot error, but the landing gear would collapse on anything less than a perfect landing.

Why isn't the slow-stick on the list? As my AP ship, the only "work" I've ever done to it is upgrade the power system. Probably one of my most flown models.

My Gambler HLG has never let me down, it's got hundred's of flights - but has no power system..

Out of my current fleet, my Formosa, Siren, Corona, GWS C-130, Joker, Kwik-E, Twister, Sirius, have always been ready when I need them, as were my Mini Funtana, Dynamic, Filip, Kyosho F16, Bantam Bipe, Pico Jet, Stinger, Smart, X250, Falcon, Cutie, Fixx, Mini Bee, Flame, Zagi's (I've had three) and Mirage.

None of these have ever "let me down", so I'd consider them reliable..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
A poll that claims to be about reliability... but only asks which models someone has owned... is not going to get any info about reliability.

Most reliable model I ever owned was a Goldberg Tiger 60 with an OS .91 4-stroke. 2 years of frequently flying it... I took the engine off and removed the radio. Gave away the airframe. It never had to have repair after its second flight, when the glue joint holding the vertical stab failed. (and the plane was landed safely...)
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
A poll that claims to be about reliability... but only asks which models someone has owned... is not going to get any info about reliability.

To clarify, it's not a poll about reliability. The poll (since that's the default name) is just there to say if you owned these planes or not. The reliability question was asked in the previous two threads.

The intent was to point people in the right direction when they look to buy a new plane and want to consider reliability in the equation.

Frank
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
My Gambler HLG has never let me down, it's got hundred's of flights - but has no power system..

..a
That's a good point about the Gambler, never thought to add that. Can't get much more reliable than a DLG. Of course that would open up a whole new genre.

Frank
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,427 Posts
I would have to say the most reliable would be my Predator Bee slope combat ship. You can go in at 60mph and it just bounces. Other than that, one of the ones on the list would be my MM Magpie AP ship. Handle lots of wind and it gives me pretty pictures
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
great thread I will keep an eye on the stats, it will be interesting .
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,645 Posts
You might just as well ask for the reliability of the person holding the tx.
All models are 'reliable' if flown within their design parameters, just the same as anything else, cars, tv, cameras etc. The list could end up as nothing more than "more people had this one so it must be the most reliable".

Now if it was a list of the worst planes including the justification and possible proof, not just "cause it broke when it crashed".

When a model is classed as reliable because it 'bounces' when crashed isn't really about reliability, (sorry pullup!, nothing personal), so perhaps the thread should be 'the most crash damage resistant'.

Sorry to seem negative, but I just don't see the point of threads like this unless people just like polls.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Wow, I feel left out. I've never owned, seen or heard of about 75% of those planes. No Hangar 9's, not Ultrafly's, no Great Planes, a couple MultiPlex (but not the MicroJet). What's Mountain Models? Never heard of them. Only one ParkZone. I would venture to say this list was written by someone who doesn't fly at my field.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Never heard or Mountain Models?!!? You should get out more. Or maybe you flying buddies need to.

Frank
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Checked out their site. Not sure I was missing anything... {Dozes off for a second}... oh wait... {zzzzzz}
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore
Checked out their site. Not sure I was missing anything... {Dozes off for a second}... oh wait... {zzzzzz}
Trust me, if you have not built and flown a Mountain Models/Laser Arts airplane, you are definitely missing out on some great flying planes. Do yourself a favor and get one. You will be very pleased.

Frank

Here are some discussion threads for your reading pleasure.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541596

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462380

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661309

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643920

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143898
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I think the poll is unfair to include ARF type plane, as YOU the assembler/builder ultimately determine how reliable the plane will be. Pretty much any one with just a little experience can make a 1/2 way decent plane 100% reliable.

The poll should ONLY include RTF planes as these are assembled by the factory. Reliability is determined by the quality of the components their assembly.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:02 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I agree with FH... asking which planes I own is not the same as which is my most reliable plane. This appears to be a popularity contest.

As for reliability, I think that given so many variables in assembling the kits on the list, you can hardly judge their reliability - you should be listing ARFs or RTFs...

From a reliability standpoint, my most reliable RTF planes are my Stryker A, Aerobird, Hobbico Ventura. My most reliable kit is my GWS Tiger Moth 400.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,327 Posts
Again, it's not a poll about reliability. The poll (since that's the default name) is just there to say if you owned these planes or not. The reliability question was asked in the previous two threads.

The intent was to point people in the right direction when they look to buy a new plane and want to consider reliability in the equation.

Feel free, if you wish, to add planes that you consider reliable. The more choices posted the better it serves everyone by helping them decide on which plane they would like to get next.

Since there is no way that someone could own all of these planes, we have to take people's word on how reliable these airplanes are. If it's a "popularity contest" then so be it. But by having folks show if they have owned these planes or not, it's a slight correlation, in my mind, that we as RC modelers will buy planes that are more reliable so the more planes owned the more reliable they "should be." By virtue of these forums, we can figure out what is junk and what isn't.

Frank