Old Jun 12, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Discussion
Roanoke Virginia Area Flyers

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a "local" area hangout for some of the SW Virginia boys to post on!

Feel free to share stories, images, and dates when you all want to get together!

It might be slow at first, but with everyone's help it will be a nice source of info.

Take care and more posts to come soon!
Mike
eagleswings is offline Find More Posts by eagleswings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2007, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,322 Posts
Hey what's your policy on guests at the field? I have a friend that's attending VTech for the next 3 years. I noticed there was a club down there once upon a time.. Now it's a freeway. It's always nice to have a place to fly while he's in class.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jun 12, 2007, 02:08 PM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Hi Typical,

While there is a "Club" out in Salem...I mainly started this thread for anyone who just enjoys going to the park and flying!

There are many guys in the area who I have been talking with about starting this thread. Most of us fly at Green Hill Park in Salem - right off of exit 137.

You are welcome ANYTIME, and we'd love to see you out there. Check out my blog and you'll see some images of planes that are usually out there!

The RC Blog

Hope to see you soon!
Mike
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:14 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,825 Posts
RVRC flying field in Salem, Va.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Hey what's your policy on guests at the field? I have a friend that's attending VTech for the next 3 years. I noticed there was a club down there once upon a time.. Now it's a freeway. It's always nice to have a place to fly while he's in class.
The local club is RVRC and if you are a club member some where else and have a current AMA you are welcome to fly at our field. It is gated and you will have to walk over to where some of the guys are, about 400 feet, and one of them would to glad to go and unlock the gate so you can drive in.

A few of us also fly electrics at Green Hill Park west of Salem and it is a great place to fly electric or sail planes only. Gas planes were requested to not fly there any more a few years ago.

There is a plan to meet tomorrow at Green Hill Park at about 3:00 PM so if anyone can make it, see you there.

Larry
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleswings
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a "local" area hangout for some of the SW Virginia boys to post on!

Feel free to share stories, images, and dates when you all want to get together!

It might be slow at first, but with everyone's help it will be a nice source of info.

Take care and more posts to come soon!
Mike
Mike, Thanks for starting this thread. This will be a good place to get to know more of our local flyers. I'm just north of Roanoke, in Daleville, and I usually fly in Botetourt.

So, how many people do we have flying in the area?

I look forward to posting and getting to know our community of RC pilots.

Again, Mike, thanks for starting this thread,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Aug 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:34 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Hi Typical,

I've seen your excellent work in the FPV / Video Pilotage forum, and it's good to know that you visit our area. Your FPV accomplishments are really cool. I have been learning FPV, but I'm still fairly new to RC flying, and especially to FPV. Please let us know when you'd be visiting, as it would be good to meet you and learn from seeing your setup.

Good to see you posting here. Welcome.

Kevin
Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152
The local club is RVRC and if you are a club member some where else and have a current AMA you are welcome to fly at our field. It is gated and you will have to walk over to where some of the guys are, about 400 feet, and one of them would to glad to go and unlock the gate so you can drive in.

A few of us also fly electrics at Green Hill Park west of Salem and it is a great place to fly electric or sail planes only. Gas planes were requested to not fly there any more a few years ago.

There is a plan to meet tomorrow at Green Hill Park at about 3:00 PM so if anyone can make it, see you there.

Larry
Hi Larry, Thanks for the info about the RVRC club. I have gotten the impression that the club is primarily focused on gas planes; do folks also fly electrics at the club? (I only have electricly powered aircraft.)

Thanks for the invitation, but I'll be tied up with work tomorrow, and probably for the next week or so. But would like to join you guys at Green Hill one of these weeks.

Thanks,
Kevin
Last edited by kevinhines; Jun 12, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself, and my small fleet of RC aircraft. As previously mentioned, I am in Daleville, and primarily fly in Botetourt.

I began flying RC just last summer, and I have five aircraft, all electric, foam, park flyers. Here they are in order of aquisition and building:
-GWS Beaver
-GWS E-Starter
-GWS Formosa
-Multiplex EasyStar #1
-Multiplex EasyStar #2

Each of these planes has been destroyed (i.e., broken into at least two major chunks) at least a few times... And all are still flying. I guess I don't mind taking calculated risks with these foamies, I just repair them and they are ready to fly again. I don't fly near other people or their property, but I do fly near trees and the ground.

I have been learning to fly "Video Pilotage" aka "FPV (First Person View)", i.e., with a miniature, wireless video camera mounted in the plane, near the cockpit location, to fly by the imagery radioed down from the plane. I have had a few successful FPV flights, and a few "non-successful" FPV flights (i.e., crashed). FPV has brought the newbie excitement back to me, shaking hands, the adrenaline pumping, etc.

Here are some pix of the planes.

I look forward to flying together with you,
Kevin

PS - Here's my hobby web site about robotics, I should update it with RC flying info: www.RoanokeRobotics.org
Last edited by kevinhines; Aug 17, 2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
I'll see if I can swing by Green Hill tomorrow, though I won't be able to make it till 4:30 likely. I'll have to cut down what I bring tomorrow. My car's in the shop, and I can only fit so much into the cab of my truck.

I'm looking at your biplane version of your easy star. Looks like you have about 4 to 6 inches of 'height' on your upper wing [read as, you have a 4 inch moment arm for all of the drag on the upper wing to that will pitch your plane upwards dm/da >0 for certain]. Add a third wing same distance below, actually, make it another inch further away, because you're going to have more air flowing across the upper wing due to the motor position.
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:25 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethole
...I'm looking at your biplane version of your easy star. Looks like you have about 4 to 6 inches of 'height' on your upper wing [read as, you have a 4 inch moment arm for all of the drag on the upper wing to that will pitch your plane upwards dm/da >0 for certain]. Add a third wing same distance below, actually, make it another inch further away, because you're going to have more air flowing across the upper wing due to the motor position.
Nethole, thanks for the feedback. What are "dm" and "da"? I am a newb to flying, so I am not familiar with these terms.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:22 AM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152

Larry
Weather pending, there will be about 5-10 people out at Green Hill on Thursday afternoon! Should be there around 3 or so...anyone is welcome to come out!

Take care,
Mike
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:31 AM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing those images! I like the EZ Bipe idea. Your FPV is pretty neat as well - I'd love to see it in action. Do you have any videos uploaded?

I like the release mechanism as well - can you post an image of that up close? I've got a Mini Mag "Bush Doctor" plane and I want to fit it with a release box to drop "supply packages" for my kids to grab.

Take care!
Mike
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Well, as of 4:30 tonight, there was no one flying at the park. I stayed till 5pm, then left.

I hope you slackers who said you were going to show up today, might actually show up tomorrow
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:34 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
I wish I could join you guys at Green Hill, except my work schedule is too busy right now. So I'm grounded for now.

I hope to join you guys out there one of these weekends. It's looking like maybe next weekend for me, rather than this coming weekend.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
Last edited by kevinhines; Jun 13, 2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleswings
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing those images! I like the EZ Bipe idea. Your FPV is pretty neat as well - I'd love to see it in action. Do you have any videos uploaded?

I like the release mechanism as well - can you post an image of that up close? I've got a Mini Mag "Bush Doctor" plane and I want to fit it with a release box to drop "supply packages" for my kids to grab.

Take care!
Mike
Mike, Thanks for the kind words! I also like the EZ bipe idea, but the way I made it, it was so unstable in the air, I couldn't really fly it. It seemed to ocsillate in yaw and simultaneously in pitch; so that it was oscillating wildly out of control. (I suspect that increasing the horizontal and the vertical stab areas might help to dampen the oscillations, and others have offered other suggestions as well.) I was just happy to get it back to the ground without damage. I hope to figure this out, and to fly a home-made bipe at some point in the future.

My goal for the EZ bipe, was to increase the lift at low airspeed. Since the EZ bipe hasn't yet worked for me, I am thinking of doing a wingspan extension for my EZ's (mono)wing.

Here is one recent FPV flight, but there were a few technical issues, such as the camera battery running low, so the image turned B&W instead of color. Takeoff was by standard direct view, and the rest of the flight and also the landing were via FPV: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41165267&hl=en

I plan to also do take-offs "under the hood" (in FPV), hopefully sometime in the near future.

My video camera and receiver equipment are bare-bones cheap, so the video quality isn't so great. I am saving up to buy better video equipment for FPV. It is hard to believe anyone could fly a plane with such poor image quality, but I have had a spotter, just in case.

I also have some aerial videos uploaded as well, but the funny thing is that when watching most of the aerial videos, I don't know how anyone would be able to tell if the video were made by FPV or by regular aerial video methods, i.e., by direct visual contact with the plane. Here's one aerial video where I fly the plane past myself so you can see it is not FPV, flying an EZ* through a soccer goal (wintertime, so no net in the soccer goal): http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35421829&hl=en

Regarding the release mechanism, I will look and see if I have any upclose pix, or I can take more pix and post them. The mechanism was a servo which I controlled by the spring-loaded trainer switch on my Tx, so it would normally stay in the "retain" position; The servo moved a bent wire (a piece of paperclip wire) to slide in and out of a couple of small washers epoxied onto a 1/8" square piece of spruce, the whole assembly is about 2" long. A rubberband is retained at one end by the spruce wooden piece, then wrapped twice around the Nerf bombs, then retained at the other end by the wire going between the washers. When I pull the spring-loaded trainer switch, the servo pulls the wire out from the washers, and the Nerfs are released.

For my next implementation of this, I'd like to drop those little, toy army parachutists we had when we were kids, but I have looked and not yet found any of the parachutist toys in stores, so I may have to make my own.

Edit: By the way, I initially built the release mechanism for the E-Starter's glider release mechanism (a whole separate topic unto itself). I then simply pressed the same servo+spruce+wire+washers+velcro assembly into use to as a Nerf Clusterbomb release mechanism. (The velcro was used to mount the mechanism to the fuse). This sort of mechanism could be used to release pretty much anything.

So you want to drop little parachutes with goody bags? That's a cool idea for getting your kids excited!

I'm not familiar with the Mini Mag "Bush Doctor" plane. Do you have a link or pic you could post of it? Thanks.

Kevin
Last edited by kevinhines; Jun 14, 2007 at 10:29 PM.