HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Discussion
An old newbie

Well I can't resist anymore. I have been dabbling in fixed wing RC aircraft since the late 60's and after watching them at the field this summer, I want to try a micro heli. I have many (my wife says TOO many) electric planes from indoor to 5lb airframes and from foamies to balsa kits. I gave up on the glow stuff a few years back. After reading and reading and reading, I am still overwhelmed and wouild like any and all advice from the pros. I am leaning toward the Honey Bee FP. I know nothing about helis or how to fly them. I know this will be a looong learning curve. I am sure you guys have answered this same question a lot, but any input will be appreciated. Is the HP FP a good starter heli? Should I start in another direction. Should I remortgage the house? Also a good reliable vendor to supply me with the goodies. Thanks!!

Doug
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
expert heli pilot wanabee
United States, CA, Los Banos
Joined Jul 2006
2,270 Posts
yup definitely go towards honeybee fp some of the good online parts supplier for this helis are www.helidirect.com and www.bphobbies.com hope that would get u started
siryan is offline Find More Posts by siryan
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
The FP is the perfect starter heli! It has some issues, but if you have never flown its where you want to start.

Unlike planes which you can fly for years and never crash.. Helis and gravity are mortal enemies. Its a matter of time before you crash. The FP lets you learn without spending your retirement.

There a few cool upgrades for the FP for after you get the hang of it.

M-24 kyosho blades
Dual tail motor
Stronger landing gear
There is even an upgrade to a belt driven tail with gyro.

But its best to (as Captian Sulu said) "Fly her appart then!"
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jun 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
You might also look into a GWS Dragonfly! They come with a Direct Drive tail which is a good thing, and no other Heli's come with it, so most upgrade to it. MOst any of the Micro FP Heli's will get you started though, just make sure it has good, easy to find parts support!

Sam
AirMicro is offline Find More Posts by AirMicro
Old Jun 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,501 Posts
Welcome to the madness, Doug! Looks like you are on the right track, and you've got some good suggestions already. I (re)started in the heli game with the Honey Bee FP, and still have one that has been mutated with a brushless motor and belt drive tail conversion. Great fun! As Sam suggested, the GWS Dragonfly appears to be another good one and you may even find it stocked in local hobby shops.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
That whirly guy
Vivian, LA
Joined Jan 2007
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
Unlike planes which you can fly for years and never crash.. Helis and gravity are mortal enemies. Its a matter of time before you crash.
Platinum, I know you mean well with that statement and it's probably true especially to brand new RC pilots and people with plank experience...

But, from my recent experience, I'm crashing my plane a whole lot more than my helicopters. Like, I probably crash my plane (tip over or twist around) almost 50% of the flights. Yet I have only 1 crash on my Trex (months ago) and my last oopsie on my Blade CP Pro was about a month ago.

I think it may be because landing an airplane requires solid commitment to the plan. A plan that must be made and solidified in your head before the attempt, whereas, the helicopter is like a butterfly, it gets to decide how to settle on that flower as it gets closer and inspects the situation. Thus leading to less crashes.

Just my experience, your millage may vary.
Bothersome is offline Find More Posts by Bothersome
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:31 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I did mean it well. My comments where to those plane flyers who may have never ever touched a heli (like me November 2006)

I agree if you fly helis allot you will crash less and less.. I guess that goes with anything though. Point being if you are new, you will crash.. so be prepared to crash.

I fly planes as well Bothersome. Planes are cake.. until you get to the 30 size 3d planes (katana, Yak, Extra, etc)

I had a Funjet, friend killed that one for me with an 80mph nose in. I have a Nike 2 hotliner, and a Sebart Katana 30 is just waiting for my electrics to arrive
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I went to helidirect to order the HB FP RTF and they were out of stock. Any other good vendors I can check on? Should I order any spare parts with the heli? If so, what parts will I probably break first?

Doug
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced prop
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I went to helidirect to order the HB FP RTF and they were out of stock. Any other good vendors I can check on? Should I order any spare parts with the heli? If so, what parts will I probably break first?

Doug
Hi Doug, I've purchased two HBFP's from here: http://www.xheli.com/new20esho4ra.html

Regarding parts, I would purchase several of the below. These are the most commonly broken parts...at least for me:

EK1-0200A - Rotor Head Set
EK1-0201 - Ring-like Push-rod
EK1-0206 - Paddle Control Frame (Outer)
EK1-0208 - Servo Push-rod Set
EK1-0239 - Skid Set
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:14 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
www.raidentech.com use code cjfreeshipping and get it shipped free. Do not order any parts from raiden or xheli.. these 2 are safe to order a kit from, but thats about it.

you can also try www.bphobbies.com, very reliable..
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:05 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06
Hi Doug, I've purchased two HBFP's from here: http://www.xheli.com/new20esho4ra.html

Regarding parts, I would purchase several of the below. These are the most commonly broken parts...at least for me:

EK1-0200A - Rotor Head Set
EK1-0201 - Ring-like Push-rod
EK1-0206 - Paddle Control Frame (Outer)
EK1-0208 - Servo Push-rod Set
EK1-0239 - Skid Set
Thanks racin! What about the motors?.........About how long will they last?

Doug
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Well Doug, you pretty much mastered the flyout. The real task now is learning to hover in all orientations.

Forward flight will be a minor tweak in your airplane experience.
I am sure you will be a natural to flyouts later on because of your extensive airplane experience.

I know a few really good flyers in forwards circuits, loops and rolls, but can't hover nose-in and side-in hehe. All flew planes before the heli.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
Breinigsville, PA
Joined Oct 2006
624 Posts
Its always good to have a spare motor on hand, maybe even 2 for the tail.

The good thing about brushed motors is they are cheap, you can get 10 motors for what it will cost you to put in a brushless motor, and a good brushless esc. You also have very little tinkering to do when just replacing a motor.

going to brushless, is a littl more pricey, and takes some tinkering, but it sounds like you know your electrics, and once you go brushless, you are somewhat maintaince free in the motor department.
aballen is offline Find More Posts by aballen
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:29 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced prop
Thanks racin! What about the motors?.........About how long will they last?

Doug

Motors last about 20hrs on 2 cells and about 10hrs on 3 cells.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
Motors last about 20hrs on 2 cells and about 10hrs on 3 cells.
Thanks Platinum.............What mah 2 cells are good for the HB. I have some 1320 2 cell packs from my planes.

Doug
Last edited by unbalanced prop; Jun 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM.