Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2002, 10:25 AM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Help Me With My New Hornet Please?

For the first time yesterday I tried to fly a Hornet that I had purchased used. It is the first Hornet that I have tried to fly. It is not the CP Hornet. My problem is this...the main shaft wants to seperate itself from the T/R drive gear. It had a small plastic collar that I guess was supposed to keep the gears in place by holding pressure against the main shaft, well it wasn't working so I took a piece of fuel tubing and put on there and that seemed to help but then in a two foot hover it will start to "piro" as the gears no longer stay in mesh. The last time I flew it it pirored into a rock and broke the frame and strut. How am I supposed to keep the main gear and T/R tube gear in contact with each other? Also how in the world to I get the two "pins" out of the main shaft that holds the rotor head and the main gear in place? They seem way to tight and can't get them out..Any help sure would be appreciated!!
Voltage is offline Find More Posts by Voltage
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2002, 12:41 PM
Monterrey NL. Mexico
Joined Oct 2001
319 Posts
Hi Voltage.
I recomend you to take a look at the hornet forum. Use the search option and you will find a lot of info, the people there are very friendly. Here to ..

"www.hornet-heli.com"

Cheers.

ermit.
ermit is offline Find More Posts by ermit
Old Nov 02, 2002, 12:48 PM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
ermit,
I didn't know there was such a thing! I will see if I can find it..
Old Nov 02, 2002, 04:20 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hi Voltage,

First off the main mast mod using a modified wheel collar is a must, forget about fuel tubing/gluing a plastic collar on. Check w/Dennis @ DeeTee Enterprises as he carries these.

As for the pins, yes they are PITA to install/remove but I highly recommend you get Walt' pins. They make the assembly/disassembly process so much easier!

And do come over to the Hornet BBS, quite a few of us bounce back and forth to help out as many folks as possible. Please look for suggestions/hints/tips by JohnK (JK here) and Walt (Cyhyam) as these two are responsible for the majority of what's been done to/for the Hornet!

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Nov 02, 2002, 04:31 PM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Roger,
Thank you for answering.. Where do I go to for the Walt parts you are talking about? Don
Old Nov 02, 2002, 05:39 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Try Dennis at: https://secure.deeteeenterprises.com...php?secure=yes

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Nov 02, 2002, 06:23 PM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Thanks Boyd, I will...
Old Nov 03, 2002, 01:45 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
good ol' Boyd.

Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:28 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,388 Posts
Voltage,

Welcome!

Also have a look at Dave Day's collection of Hornet fixes etc, found at http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/hornind.htm

Between Walt's stuff and Dave's advice you will find almost all that you need to get the Hornet flyable (still not easy - but at least flyable).!

For example, if you can't get Walt's lightweight shaft collet, then an ordinary brass wheel collet will do to stop the main shaft from moving.

By the way guys, a suggestion I have is to put a small piece of plastic in the 'grub screw' hole before tightening the screw in the collet onto the shaft. Still grips the metal shaft, and prevents a 'burr' from occuring. This becomes a problem if you have fitted the delrin / brass ball addition to the swashplate (as you have to remove the burr to get it back through the brass ball).

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Last edited by Norman Adlam; Nov 03, 2002 at 08:36 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:38 AM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Norman,
Thank you for your reply. I will also check this site out! I had mine flying, well at least hovering at about 8 feet high but then brought it down to around two feet high after hearing a strange noise (which was the main gear and pinion gear on the t/r drive shaft slipping) and then doing a death piro. I got it down onto my slick driveway and everything was fine as it slid along at a quick pace until a big dumb rock just off the edge of the driveway jumped out and "nailed" my little Hornet....
Old Nov 03, 2002, 06:43 AM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Norman,
I can't get the site to come up. It says it could be an "out-dated" site address. Any ideas? Thanks...
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:35 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,388 Posts
Hahh! Spotted the problem in my earlier post! There is a 'sneaky' '.' on the end of 'htm' which shouldn't be there!

Correct URL is

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/hornind.htm

I'll edit the previous post!

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Nov 03, 2002, 10:59 AM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Norman, thanks......
Old Nov 03, 2002, 09:45 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Voltage,

I forgot to add JohnK' site as a starting point for other mods for the Hornet.

Roger
Old Nov 04, 2002, 07:09 AM
Springfield, MO USA
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
Thanks Roger.....