HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2003
1,188 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9CAS or 9CHS for planes AND helis..?

I have an Eclipse 7 and have been into planes for a few years but would like to get the Futaba 9C.

I just got a fixed pitch heli to start with and I'm not sure how far I'll go with helis so I need to wait and see. This would help me decide but does anyone use the Futaba 9C for both?
I can't decide between the air and heli version.

I know the heli has a non-ratchet throttle, I have very little resistance on my ratchet so that's not my biggest concern but I'm not sure about the switches.

I like the throttle up and hold switchs on the 9CHS and you probably need them with helis but would there be a down side using the 9CHS with planes?

David
dfemmert is offline Find More Posts by dfemmert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
I don't think their would be a downside...the only differences are, as you mentioned, the ratchet, and the position of the idle up 3 position switch and the throttle hold switch (they are on opposite sides on either radio).

Personally, I'm flying an 8UAFS (the 9CAFS' predecessor) airplane radio with the ratchet removed. I use it for both airplanes, and my Trex heli with no problem. If I had the heli version of that radio, I don't see that being and issue for airplanes.

One thing to look at is what servos and receivers the different radios come with. A lot of the heli systems come with a full size PCM radio, which is nice (and its not so big that you couldn't use it on a bigger electric heli, like a Trex).
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:15 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
I use my 9CHPS for both planes and helis, works great, I like having no ratchet and then the switches are all in the right place

Joel
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:25 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I'd say if you're heavy into Heli's and fly alot of 3D with them, then you would probably prefer the switch positions of the 9CHPS. Otherwise the 9CAPS is usually a little cheaper and has all the same functions.

The ratchet can be changed by opening the radio case and simply flipping it over as I've done with mine.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer