HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:40 PM
You land foamies?!
Livonia, Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Discussion
Mini Ultra Stick or Mini Pulse, which do you people recommend?

Ok, I'm about to buy one of these two PNP's. I only fly 3D right now, and want to get a good sport plane, that handles well. Which of the two fit this criteria best?
VictoryRoll-91 is offline Find More Posts by VictoryRoll-91
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:49 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,482 Posts
I have both and prefer the Mini Ultra Stick for all around fun/sport flying. It is very aerobatic, much more than the Mini Pulse. I have E-Flite 480/1020 motors in both, and the MUS flies faster than the Pulse. MUS has a flat wing, Pulse has dihedral. They both handle well, but the MUS is more nimble and quicker in the aerobatics. Both are built very solid, beefy landing gear, fast building.

If you are looking for a more relaxed, Sunday afternoon type plane, I think the Mini Pulse gets the win in that category. The Pulse looks more scale in the air and can land slower than the MUS.

Both are very different planes, just depends on what type of flying you are looking for.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,592 Posts
There's a good thread on the Mini Pulse in the electric sport planes forum. Check it out.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRoll-91
Ok, I'm about to buy one of these two PNP's. I only fly 3D right now, and want to get a good sport plane, that handles well. Which of the two fit this criteria best?
Hi Victory,

I have the MUS with an E-Flite Park 450 890kV 14 amp motor. Plenty of power! The plane flies remarkably true, tracks great, will respond quickly even with reduced throws, and lands pretty nicely. The flatter wing does result in more control being needed and it must be watched at all times, because it will not 'help' you to fly it like a plane with dihedral in the wing.

If you go this route, buy the PNP version, which comes with a motor, esc, and 4 servos already installed. You save a lot of money that way. The price of a Park 450 is $75.00 alone. The price of the PNP is $100 more than the ARF version and is well worth it!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Jun 10, 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Can't do basic math anymore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:52 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,977 Posts
I put my vote on the MUS. It is definitely my "go to" plane on every flying trip. It is just such a true flying machine. I have never had any other plane that was more perfect for providing a long, fun filled afternoon of flying. It is simple to maintain, strong, just flies great.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:22 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,098 Posts
I have both and it's a tough call. The Mini Ultra Stick is more responsive, but with the 480 the Pulse is aerobatic enough. The big difference is that the Mini Ultra Stick snaps and spins much more violently, and because it has no dihedral, it rolls a little more axially. It's easier to build and there is no cowling to get in the way when you are working on it.

Still, I have both of them and fly both of them. Some days I feel like the Ultra Stick, and others I feel like flying the Pulse. I am glad I don't have to decide because I really can't.

Let's break it down:

Mini Ultra Stick:
For over 40 years the Stick design has been the most popular and practical design in the R./C hobby. Nothing I've seen has come even remotely close to being such a dependable workhorse. They fly great, are easy to work on, and they are expendible.

Buy it, fly it fearlessly, crash it, replace it. Because the Ultra Stick is so easy to put together, it's not a big deal to waste one except for the money. As long as I've got $100 in the bank I can fly pretty fearlessly.

I will always have a stick ready to fly. If I could only have one airplane, the Mini Ultra Stick is the only choice.

Mini Pulse
The Mini Pulse is more stable all the way around. Because of this, it's a little less responsive. This is the trade off that you have to weigh out. The Ultra Stick is not stable enough for the less accomplished pilots, and the Pulse is too stable for 3D, so you sort of have to choose if you want mild or wild, but again, the 480 turns both of these planes into monsters.

The Pulse is a very attractive plane, but the cowling and wheel pants are a pain, and since this complicates maintainence, it makes the Mini Pulse a little less practical as a daily beater than the Ultra Sick. Still, the Mini Pulse is such a pretty airplane that it's extra complications aren't really much of a liability. It's the price you pay for having an attractive plane.

Some of you are probably sick of seeing this video (sorry, but we are working on a new one and you won't have to put up with this one much longer ), but for those who are interested in a Mini Pulse, this is an illustration that the Mini Pulse can be flown very aggressively. She does have a very docile nature, but when you push her hard that just gives you a nice safety margin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawC-C9JMWA
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
You land foamies?!
Livonia, Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Well, I think I may get the MUS. I've flown both planes before, and both were great flying. But I think the MUS will suit my flying style best. And this is not just andeither/or question, it's a first/second question. So I guess that means I'll own the MUS Before the mini pulse.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 03:26 PM
You land foamies?!
Livonia, Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Anybody know the top speed of the Mini Ultra Stick? Mini Pulse?