HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2002, 09:43 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
How do I use Whatt Meter to measure charge rate??

Do I just hook it up the regular way? Looks like it would be hooked up backwards with the charger on the load side and the battery on the source side.. But that's the only way without changing connectors.. Thanks!!
SmoothSL is offline Find More Posts by SmoothSL
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2002, 05:04 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,385 Posts
SmoothSL,

I'm not sure, but I don't think you really ought to use the Whatt Meter to measure charge rate! The reason I say this is because (depending on the charger and charge type program) the battery may get charged in all manner of stop / start pulse modes - and I'm not sure that the Whatt Meter would be able to give a 'sensible' figure i.e. the average put into the battery, or whether it would get confused.

The Whatt Meter is really there to measure a 'relatively' even discharge rate, which it counts and adds up whilst measuring time. It then does the maths to tell you what Ma / Hr etc were measured i.e the battery capacity.

If you tried to do it, then the charger would going into the input (source) connectors of the Whatt Meter (where the battery would normally go) , and the Battery would be on the ouput (replacing the motor).

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Nov 02, 2002, 06:19 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The Whattmeter works fine used to measure charging. When I tested it, I made adapters to hook mine up "in reverse", so to speak - the charger became the source. I don't do this because my Infinity 2 gives me all the info automatically, but it works fine this way (it's even shown in the Whattmeter instructions, I believe)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 02, 2002, 07:23 AM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
I use mine with a Hitec 885 charger. You need to make a pair of connectors: 1 with female battery leads on both sides and 1 with male leads on both sides. Hook the Whattmeter up backwards.
When charging is complete, you can see how many amps went it to the battery. If I leave it on all night, it will continue to trickle charge and report a higher than possible capacity.

MIKE
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Last edited by mikeb33; Nov 02, 2002 at 07:26 AM.