HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:14 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
from the looks of the water i wouldn't call that lite winds. my guess is between 5, and 10 mph. that's a nice amount of wind to sail in. my USOM's are a ton of fun in 15 mph winds. more than that, and mine is on it's side allot. i only have a A rig currently. she looks good underway though. those aren't the stock sails right?
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
New ETNZ Launched

Hi All,
This is my first post in the forum. I am on the East Coast of Australia.
I launched my ETNZ last night and am deighted with it.
In the construction I stuck to the plan pretty much and have used the original fittings and lines. Also set up with a drum winch according to plan. So far it all works perfectly but time will tell.
I did epoxy the chain plates to the deck as I was not happy with the screws and no other fastening. I also left the radio arial tower off the stern as I felt it would foul the sheet lines and add uneeded holes in the deck for later when it gets ripped off anyway.
Had no trouble with the keel assembly and chose to epoxy it in place.
I did end up with the extra O rings, ultimately went with a small one which fitted much better into the keel slot than the bigger one.
Also as a long time sailor/racer of real yachts I would suggest to anyone that the standard mainsail is not correct in the way it sits along the foot (on the boom) So far I drilled a new hole at the extreme end to stretch it out further which is better but not great. I am planning to make an extention for the end so the main will set better.
Having read through the forum I am also thinking some of the gear being talked about will be nice additions. A new set of racing sails would be really cool but gotta work out how to get them in the front door past my wife. Have got some good pics of her on the water too if any are interested
gmacf is offline Find More Posts by gmacf
Last edited by gmacf; Feb 06, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:15 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Pictures of course!!!

Glad to hear you're happy with the boat.
Where abouts on the East Coast,quite a bit of flooding at the moment.

Cheers,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Last edited by james carey; Feb 06, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:29 AM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Hi James ,
Newcastle, no flooding here but plenty of rain.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Light Winds in the Photos but we were pretty keen to how it would go.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacf
Light Winds in the Photos but we were pretty keen to how it would go.
hi.
put topping lift on jib you will be amazed at the improvement but the best will only come from well made sails see pics. of my etnz on thread gospectre sails
denisjc is offline Find More Posts by denisjc
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisjc
hi.
put topping lift on jib you will be amazed at the improvement but the best will only come from well made sails see pics. of my etnz on thread gospectre sails
Hi,
Thanks for that, I can see it in the photo's. Have you done that to get more belly into the headsail? The weather is not good here this whole week and work is getting in the way so it might be a few days yet before I can get it on the water again. Will give it a go though.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:54 PM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for that, I can see it in the photo's. Have you done that to get more belly into the headsail? The weather is not good here this whole week and work is getting in the way so it might be a few days yet before I can get it on the water again. Will give it a go though.
yes, i dont think it is necessary with the new sails but with the originals the boat did nothing without t.l. in fact i lost the headsail one sailing and really battled to sail it back on the main only
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:29 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
I took my boat down to the local club at the weekend, they sail 10 rater's and One meter's. The was a general feeling that it didn't fit in either category. Obviously it's not a 10 rater but can someone set me straight on whether they are one meter boats or not. Certainly Thunder Tiger have it written on the box the boat arrives in.
I sailed with them for a circuit of the race course. The boat managed to keep up in spite of my poor efforts. The wind was quite strong (18knts) and I got knocked down twice but generally the boat handled it well. The club racers were getting knocked too so I was happy with the result.
They were not familiar with the boat but the first thing said when it hit the water by members was " What is wrong with main?"
An ongoing issue I seem to be finding is no matter how much I adjust the sheet using the Thunder Tiger set up the main will constantly be out too far when sailing on the wind. I don't think it's the winch not handling the load as the jib sits just fine and they are both on the same drum so if one is in then both should be in. I am going to make more investigation but ultimately think I will change over to an arm winch. One old guy suggested to make the battens full instead of just the roach area as is standard. That will most likely make some improvement to it setting however I am resolved to make a new main altogether and keep the original for show when it is on display at home.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
iom class

i believe the true iom has smaller sails than the etnz a one meter yacht is more than just a one meter long hull .it is interesting that you kept up to the club members with the supplied sails .i would suggest when you get your upgrade sails they probably wont talk to you. i would consider the modified winch drum cover shown in my first thread before going to a sail arm it works perfectly.the problem with the supplied cover it is so flexy the sheets get jammed between it and the drum fences
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
I am not sure where to find the thread you mean re the winch setup, sorry. Still a bit to new to the forum to be good at navigating it well.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
etnz

Quote:
I am not sure where to find the thread you mean re the winch setup, sorry. Still a bit to new to the forum to be good at navigating it well.
go to bottom of cover page and show last 100 days of posts its on page 7
cheers.
sorry page 6
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisjc
go to bottom of cover page and show last 100 days of posts its on page 7
cheers.
sorry page 6
Hi Denis,
Found the pictures you posted of the winch mods, very nice job. Thanks. I will add it to my list of things to do on the boat, certainly looks like a worthwhile effort. We are taking it out again today, have found a really good place locally to sail with a purpose built wharf for launching model boats. Fresh water too, all so good there must be a catch in it somewhere.
Regards
Glenn
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:20 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
It's probably private property or belongs to a Government Facility

Cheers,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Mar 01, 2008, 12:59 AM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
more mods, & new sails

the never ending continues
some mods to try and stop the mast bending at the join see pic. where i have bolted top and bottom some success there . new sails have been cut and shaped as per a full size boat and are showing good promise and maintaining shape