SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:43 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hi James....

Well I guess it's a mixed blessing when you put it that way- sure it comes out of the box looking finished and great (sponsor's stickers and all) but yeah- you're stuck with that until you paint over them all.

Contrast the Seawind hull on which I had to spend a week filing down, filling in then sanding down before I got to paint it.

Ditto the sail- it comes out of the box looking like that- all pre-dyed and pre-painted. Lamafever took 2 days to put together his ETNZ- I took 3 weeks to get my Seawind ready so although I got my Seawind much earlier than he got his ETNZ, both yachts had their maiden sorties on the same day.

As for first yacht I wouldn't recommend it. She's not easy to sail- particularly if you build her up as per the instructions which call for a drum winch servo (slow and prone to tangling if you don't get it right). Check out the Seawind vs ETNZ thread for a comparison between the two- my own impressions.

Seriously, start off with a Fairwind or Seawind. They're MUCH easier to sail and if Jakarta is anything like Kuala Lumpur (annoyingly light winds for most of the time) then you'll find the ETNZ- again as built per instructions- very frustrating. Betwee Fairwind and Seawind, I'd recommend the Fairwind- very easy to sail and although she's almost 100mm shorter than the ETNZ or Seawind, her high freeboard makes her the easiest to see from a distance, helping you with orientaton. Also, although the Fairwind is downright sluggish in light winds, she's still sailable whereas the ETNZ will be struggling to keep steerage way.

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:52 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Thanks for the advise Darth, all the info on this and other threads is leading me towards the same conclusion.

Was thinking about the ETNZ because the hull doesnít require painting and nobody has mentioned things like fibreglass reinforcing the keel etc. I havenít done any real modelling before and am a bit put off at the thought of stuffing up the paint. Reckon I should be able to put a kit together though.

Am off to Australia for two weeks holiday middle of Sept, the plan is to purchase a kit via the internet, have it arrive on the Gold Coast same time as myself. Am travelling without the wife ( so initial shopping should only be bits for the boat) Iím hoping to get the boat finished in the first week and get a few days sailing in along with everything else before heading back to Jakarta.

Have found RTNZís at www.hstore.com.au for AUS$379.00 Plus shipping. For a country surrounded by water the selection of RC Yachts is surprisingly poor. The Seawind was also on my short list but am having trouble finding a supplier on the East Coast (of Aust).

If anyone has any links to Stockists or further advise it would be greatly appreciated. Advise is something I canít get too much of at the moment.

Thanks and Regards,

James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Sep 01, 2007, 12:59 PM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hi again James,

Here's some guys who will sell online in this neck of the woods:-

http://www.toykar.com - authorised dealer for Kyosho in Singapore

http://www.niko.com.my - authorised dealer for Thunder Tiger in Malaysia (and I reckon southeast asia)

Pretty good prices from both I must say..... only thing is the Voyager has to be placed on backorder and will take about 1 month to arrive.

Apart from that I'd suggest the TowerPro MG995 or (better) MG945 torque servos for your sail winch. I'm using 995s on my Fairwind and Seawind (strong enough for a double purchase arrangement) and the MG945 is supposed to give even more torque. They're also pretty cheap ad easily available on ebay.

Rudder servo can be a standard servo you'll (probably) get with your radio kit. I'd recommend the 2 channel Ace Jaguar pistol radio (you'll see it available on the niko website) with the spring on the throttle trigger removed. It's an AM radio but works fine. I've been using a Sanwa SevenAce AM radio (and lamafever uses one of those Ace Jaguar jobbies on his ETNZ) with no problems at all.

Don't worry about assembling a kit- the ETNZ also requires assembly, the only thing you'll be saving on is painting- all you'll need is a few screwdrivers, a pair of scissors, an allen key (probably included- at least Kyosho includes it), a lil spanner (also probably included) and (maybe) a drill. Apart from that- if you're going with Kyosho- you'll need a small flat file, some 200, 800, 1200 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a couple cans of spray paint (I recommend Krylon Fusion) and you're done.... otherwise, never mind the painjob and sail her in white au naturel!!

Hope this helps

Darth
Last edited by DarthDude; Sep 01, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:45 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Thanks Darth , Will most likely get a Seawind, and , for this trip sail with an unpainted hull. Am travelling at the moment , will have a look at the Supplier Sites when I get back to town.

Thanks ,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:52 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james carey
Thanks Darth , Will most likely get a Seawind, and , for this trip sail with an unpainted hull. Am travelling at the moment , will have a look at the Supplier Sites when I get back to town.

Thanks ,
James
James, good choice for speed in light wind condition, but if your area has constant strong wind, ETNZ will be a better choice. Has been sailing with Darth and looking at his Seawind zipping by my ETNZ, really made my ETNZ look like a big fat yacht. But when strong wind comes ..... man ETNZ is really fast and much more stable
lamafever is offline Find More Posts by lamafever
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:46 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamafever
...... when strong wind comes ..... man ETNZ is really fast and much more stable
This is very true...... if all my posts are giving the impression that the Seawind is a racer and the ETNZ is a pig, this is certainly wrong.... the ETNZ has a very definite advantage in strong winds- it can sail in conditions that will see a Seawind submarining or otherwise not being controllable.

Darth
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:20 AM
Germany - near Dusseldof
Joined Sep 2007
1 Posts
ENTZ from Germany

Hi,
I am from Germany and I have my ENTZ since 3 days.
I am glad to find that forum, because it is the first time I can read a lot of information about my new sailboat

I am ready with the main building steps and know I have two questions ...

1. How do you attach the rudder cover and get it waterproof ?
2. Is the hatch cover mount waterproof just with the 4 screws or do I have to use someting else like silicone ?

Thanks a lot for your answers...

cheers
Jens
jegla is offline Find More Posts by jegla
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegla
Hi,
I am from Germany and I have my ENTZ since 3 days.
I am glad to find that forum, because it is the first time I can read a lot of information about my new sailboat

I am ready with the main building steps and know I have two questions ...

1. How do you attach the rudder cover and get it waterproof ?
2. Is the hatch cover mount waterproof just with the 4 screws or do I have to use someting else like silicone ?

Thanks a lot for your answers...

cheers
Jens
Hi Jen

The rudder cover is covered with the black decal and until now i don get any water into the hull. For the hatch mount, i think u can use silicone, and put some rubber trim, it will definately reduce the chances of ware getting in by 95%
lamafever is offline Find More Posts by lamafever
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:12 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
for those of us here in the states with a ETNZ i just found a suppler for upgraded sails. decent price in my opinion too. he has other stuff for our boats as well.

http://www.isobaryachts.com/Special%20Sails.htm
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1 Posts
O-Rings

Hi Fellow ETNZ Owners

I'm Teng from Singapore.

Just got myself an ETNZ. Going thru the manual I came across the parts description No.35 O-Ring(3), but included in the box instead are 3 small o-ring plus another bigger size o-ring.

The only mentioned of o-ring in the manual is in page 06 where it is threaded onto the keel shaft.

Which of one in the picture below can I use and where should the rest go?

Thanks

Rgds
FMTeng

P.S. Hope I got the picture attachment right
FMTeng is offline Find More Posts by FMTeng
Old Dec 06, 2007, 02:52 AM
Joined Nov 2003
691 Posts
Hi Teng,
The only O ring i have is the small one (on the keel)
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
Stop that Pigeon!!!
Americana,SP
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
i have 4 orings too..3 small..and i have no clue what for...

I've done this on my ETNZ..its not ready yet..im waiting some pekabe fittings..
Topolino2 is offline Find More Posts by Topolino2
Old Dec 16, 2007, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTeng
Hi Fellow ETNZ Owners

I'm Teng from Singapore.

Just got myself an ETNZ. Going thru the manual I came across the parts description No.35 O-Ring(3), but included in the box instead are 3 small o-ring plus another bigger size o-ring.

The only mentioned of o-ring in the manual is in page 06 where it is threaded onto the keel shaft.

Which of one in the picture below can I use and where should the rest go?

Thanks

Rgds
FMTeng

P.S. Hope I got the picture attachment right
Hey, Teng .... if you are in Malaysia Kuala Lumpur do give me or Darthdude a call man ..... we sail every Saturday and Sunday. And my advice is if you have not installed any of the stock snaps and screws ...... please replace them with stainless steel .... mine all gone rusty after sailing in the sea
zornzack is offline Find More Posts by zornzack
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:04 PM
Ma
Joined Apr 2005
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2
Will post some close up photos today. I used Cap Maquette fittins for the
chain plates and stay tensions for side stays and back stay. For rigging
used 90 lb spectra nylon covered line. I did not use a forestay as I think
it is not needed. Passed a 90 lb spectra nylon covered wire through the
front pocket of the jib and she sails fine like that. That takes the place of
a forestay. Again will post photos today. Regards
I have read plenty of posts about this boat but i need some assistance
allot have quoted that they replaced with Cap Maquette fittings for the chainplates and stay tensions for side stays and back stay.
can somebody help and what parts numbers were these can be purchased from

thanks in advance
Windspiel is offline Find More Posts by Windspiel
Last edited by Windspiel; Jan 26, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
54 Posts
etnz light wind performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDude
This is very true...... if all my posts are giving the impression that the Seawind is a racer and the ETNZ is a pig, this is certainly wrong.... the ETNZ has a very definite advantage in strong winds- it can sail in conditions that will see a Seawind submarining or otherwise not being controllable.

Darth
pics of sailing today in very light wind if this is slow i dont need fast
denisjc is offline Find More Posts by denisjc