HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by endr
Nope, the turnbuckles and the steel wire, are not inclused, I've installed it apart.
where did you get the turnbuckles from please? a ling would be fantastic.

thanks Jerry
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
6 Posts
Should we be able to get these turnbuckles from a hobbie shop hear in NZ.
I don't see why not
PJEGYPT is offline Find More Posts by PJEGYPT
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:39 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
my local hobby shop doesn't carry turnbuckles for sailboats. but for cars they have a ton, but they have 1 sailboat in stock. there meat, and potatoes are cars, plains, and helis are coming on strong now as well. it's funny how the market trends change. just a short 5 years ago plains ruled supreme, cars, and helis were barely a thought. now one compleat wall is car parts. i used to be in front of that wall. ALOT!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:25 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i'm trying hard to rationalize the purchase of a ETNZ. i realy don't need one (having 2 ready to sail USOM's, and one hull to get built this winter.), but want one. i'd like to see a entry level boat for my club. most if not all our skippers are over 45. we need young blood to keep the club going. not that it's shrinking, but the only boat sailed is the USOM that i totally love. we need a low cost entry level boat in my opinion.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:03 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hehehe... well doomdude..... I think the lowest cost 1m yacht I've ever come across is the Voyager, not the ETNZ.... and according to pompebled they can be rigged up to be pretty darned fast.

I don't have much sticktime on it of course, but the ETNZ needs a fair amount of wind to be entertaining- and a costly drum winch servo to build as per the instructions. Probably not the best choice for getting new people into r/c sailing methinks- it's a pretty demanding boat and very frustrating if you are new or happen to have windspeeds under 5 knots.

Alternatively the Fairwind is a brilliant yacht to start out on- stable, forgiving, easy to sail and looks pretty darned good. I know... I started on one.

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:13 AM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing
i'm trying hard to rationalize the purchase of a ETNZ. i realy don't need one (having 2 ready to sail USOM's, and one hull to get built this winter.), but want one. i'd like to see a entry level boat for my club. most if not all our skippers are over 45. we need young blood to keep the club going. not that it's shrinking, but the only boat sailed is the USOM that i totally love. we need a low cost entry level boat in my opinion.
Hi, The best entry type boat you can get is a Victoria. If it is 1 metre I would
suggest a Voyager. They can be modified as much as you care to spend. I
have a Victoria and a ETNZ which I love. I just got my sails from Gopectre.com
in Australia and sails fine. The Seawinds are trying but not close
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:16 AM
Norman2
Joined Mar 2006
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDude
Hehehe... well doomdude..... I think the lowest cost 1m yacht I've ever come across is the Voyager, not the ETNZ.... and according to pompebled they can be rigged up to be pretty darned fast.

I don't have much sticktime on it of course, but the ETNZ needs a fair amount of wind to be entertaining- and a costly drum winch servo to build as per the instructions. Probably not the best choice for getting new people into r/c sailing methinks- it's a pretty demanding boat and very frustrating if you are new or happen to have windspeeds under 5 knots.

Alternatively the Fairwind is a brilliant yacht to start out on- stable, forgiving, easy to sail and looks pretty darned good. I know... I started on one.

Darth
Hi Darth
Change the sails on the ETNZ and watch the difference, I do not use a winch
but a sail arm and it works fine
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:54 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hahahaha... well there ya go doom.... two opinions for you to chew on.

Having sailed Victoria, Seawind, Fairwind and ETNZ I'll stick to my recommendation of Fairwind as a starter yacht. In my opinion the Vicky (while a fine sailboat by all accounts) is a lot more demanding than the Fairwind- small keel and mysteriously unresponsive rudder next to Fairwind- and is also a little too small to look convincing on the water..... has a tendency to bobble about like a toy.

But for all that... it is cheaper and it goes like the very blazes with even the tiniest gust of wind but for me a starter yacht has got to be easy to sail and look real nice on the water and on those criteria the Fairwind wins hands down......

Either way.... both better choices than the ETNZ.

Darth
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:57 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Norman2......

SSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm the Seawind driver, remember? It's the ETNZ I'm going up against and the slower it is, the better.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh... btw a mate of mine got some backing film from some car tint shop (after the tint film had been applied to the car) and will try make up a sail for my Fairwind out of that, some epoxy, a lil mould and a heat gun. If it saves me USD45 for a new sail then I'm up for it. If that works I'll give making a sail for the ETNZ a go......

Darth
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:06 AM
Norman2
Joined Mar 2006
385 Posts
Quote:
Norman2......

SSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm the Seawind driver, remember? It's the ETNZ I'm going up against and the slower it is, the better.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh... btw a mate of mine got some backing film from some car tint shop (after the tint film had been applied to the car) and will try make up a sail for my Fairwind out of that, some epoxy, a lil mould and a heat gun. If it saves me USD45 for a new sail then I'm up for it. If that works I'll give making a sail for the ETNZ a go......

Darth
Darth
You have to admit that the ETNZ is just a prettier boat and when your sailing
It is not the arrow it is the indian. Regards
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:14 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Norman2.... no argument from me on either point dude- the ETNZ makes the Seawind look like a toy and yeah... sailing is 90% software and 10% hardware..... but with ME doing the sailing anyway I seem to get better results with the Seawind than on the ETNZ.

Oh sure I want an ETNZ.... but unlike doom I'm going to find it hard justifying a third yacht and a second 1m yacht...... but MAN that ETNZ is one pretty boat

Darth
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:48 AM
Norman2
Joined Mar 2006
385 Posts
Quote:
Norman2.... no argument from me on either point dude- the ETNZ makes the Seawind look like a toy and yeah... sailing is 90% software and 10% hardware..... but with ME doing the sailing anyway I seem to get better results with the Seawind than on the ETNZ.

Oh sure I want an ETNZ.... but unlike doom I'm going to find it hard justifying a third yacht and a second 1m yacht...... but MAN that ETNZ is one pretty boat

Darth
Darth,
The important thing is the fun you have. Nothing else counts. Regards
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Hi All , one quick question , the ETNZ colour scheme, is it painted onto the hull , or stickers ?

Thanks,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:32 PM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hi James.....

It comes out of the box looking like that- all painted, decal'd and ready to go. I was SO jealous seeing it compared to my blow moulded hull.

Darth
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:26 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Thanks Darth , Was just wondering how easy it would be to change/modify the colour scheme if you didn't want to sail a model of ETNZ forever. This seasons AC boats and sponsors probably won't be around next series .

So it's not a white hull with red and black decals? What about the names etc?

The ETNZ is on my short list for my first sail boat.

Thanks,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey