HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Standing Rigging Material

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if this has been covered in previous posts.

Four friends of mine and I are building Voyager II boats to race amongst ourselves. I gather from reading other psost that the line included in the kit for standing rigging is not up to the task, and most people are substituting braided Spectra 90# line. My question is, does this application really require 90# test? Seems awfully high, and that line is pretty large in diameter. I'd prefer to use something in the 30#-40# ranger, which is about 1/2 the diameter.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
btasquared is offline Find More Posts by btasquared
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
Standing rigging

An inexpensive and long term solution is to use 30# test STEELON plastic covered, stranded stainless steel leader wire available from several fishing supply web sites. The crimped swaging sleeves used to terminate the wire at fittings acts as a weak link in the event of a collision, and will allow the wire to pull through without jerking a fitting out of the mast or deck. Since one piece of the wire is strong enough to lift an entire 25 pound EC-12 it is more than strong enough for any boat of that size or smaller.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
384 Posts
I used the fishing wire traces for my rigging also,though she hasn't had many outings since I got into multi rotor helicopters.
Jake Bullit is offline Find More Posts by Jake Bullit
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:46 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
I concur with Mr Carr about using SS leader wire. I think the reason for using larger diameter Spectra (if you choose that route) is because the smaller stuff can tend to slip in the bowsies that most use to tension it. Also, at least in big boats, when you get close to Spectra's max tensile strength, it tends to "creep" (permanently elongate). Not really an issue in areas where you adjust it all the time, but not good for standing rigging.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions, guys.

If I were to go with the nylon covered SS wire, I'd need a crimping tool and the fittings, correct? Also, and maybe this isn't worth worrying about, doesn't the SS wire give you a lot more weight aloft relative to the spectra?
Last edited by btasquared; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
384 Posts
Just used pliers on my crimps.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
I use this technique for crimping. Seems to make a nice, secure crimp with a pair of needlenose pliers. http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Step-by-StepD.html
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
So pissed off, took my TT ETNZ out today and ripped the top of the Jib, was only 3 knots of wind at the marina, luckily a man working on his boat saved me and retreived my ETNZ, otherwise i would have been swimming, at least she was watertight.
haggly is offline Find More Posts by haggly
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:17 AM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
384 Posts
Bummer, what happened to your jib?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Keel Bulb "Chip"

The kit includes a small piece of curved stamped metal that screws into the bottom of the ballast bulb. I have no clue what the purpose of this part is. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone??
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btasquared View Post
The kit includes a small piece of curved stamped metal that screws into the bottom of the ballast bulb. I have no clue what the purpose of this part is. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone??
It is used in place of the wing if you don't want to use the wing.
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
I realised i had the jib to tight, when i sheeted in it was to much pressure and ripped out the top cleat, I have now run a forestay to the front of the jib boom, and another sheet line straight down from the mast to the back of the Job boom, also ran a line through the front of the jib itself to ensure only the wind could possibly do it damage. Rigging instructions are weak at best.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Pictures

Added some safety to the original Chain plates to ensure if they break there's a back up.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:33 PM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
384 Posts
Looking good
Old May 26, 2013, 10:54 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Complete Mods

Hi all, greetings from Chile.

Bought my TT ETNZ some 6 months ago, and decided to build it with massive rigging mods. I donīt want to duplicate all my explanations... you can take a look to pictures I took along the process here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasa...7632911255104/

All detail photos are from my own boat. Some vids and pictures also on that set. Feel free to ask for details on the comments of each picture in flickr, in this same forum, or at the build log I did here (spanish):

http://cach.cl/foroSMF/index.php?topic=26021.0
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro