HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
windy day today, lots of nose diving. standard rudder is fine , de powwered sails.

Ac
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
some more pics!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:45 AM
Auckland,New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
68 Posts
Gospectre, love those sails, I'm still planning on a couple new sets soon. Gary
Morspeed is offline Find More Posts by Morspeed
Old May 01, 2009, 07:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
lighter winds today, sailing little and big Iacc boats!

1000mm and 650mm!

Ac
Old May 01, 2009, 04:01 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Build Summary

Finally today I finished my ETNZ build being only my 4th boat project I had started researching with this thread to learn the tips, tricks & pit falls and there are quite a few with this model and, now at the end of the day I'm over the moon with the end result, a great build

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and shared there ideas, without you I would not ended up with such a great boat

My Construction Goals

Solid and stable sailing rig which gives “direction control” over mast shape was preferred where possible.
Maximise settings of the mast, mainsheet and jib with “measurable tuning adjustments” for sailing in light, medium and heavy airs.
Make every part accessible and easy for quick needed adjustments.
Building for speed by keeping mast and rig “light”, essentially this means all weight down low by getting all unnecessary hardware off the mast up high. Any weight aloft is weight that the keel must fight to keep the boat from heeling over.

Only two weakness with the boat as it stands now is 1) Standard Sails albeit out of the box they are very good for single panel sails, I know I will need to upgrade them to multi-panels sails to get better performance 2) I used a single line winch set-up (see previous posting) I'm not really confident with it and think that I will need to change to a continous loop system later, but what the hell I just wanna get on the water.

Hopefully the text with pictures below says it all, my only problem is that today there was not a breath of wind anywhere ...so I'll need to wait until tomorrow to finally get some stick time

Cheers Alan
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 01, 2009, 09:04 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Kone, she came out great! I'm looking forward to the sailing report, Steve
Crewdogg998 is offline Find More Posts by Crewdogg998
Old May 02, 2009, 03:50 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Thanks Steve ... another windless day today again

Hey Andrew ... the new boat looks like ETNZ in Chinese colours, is there much difference between the boats ? love you teasing us with your sails
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 02, 2009, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
haha, yes!

boats are the same.

swing arm sail servo makes the biggest difference. oh and have fitted carbon booms with easy adjusters so as to be able to change settings really quickly.

my jibs are cut with a higher foot so the jib will not hit the wate rin windy situations. mail sail is quite different shape also, another reason it works better!

will post some pics!

Ac
Old May 03, 2009, 01:19 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
pics!
Old May 03, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2009
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I’ve been watching this and a few other ETNZ threads very closely as I’m a new sailor form Toronto, Canada looking for a little direction. As stated I’m new to sailing but have been racing my Tamiya TRF416 and off-road TRF501x cars for sometime now so I’m no stranger to the radio controlled scene.

With that said I’m a bit disappointed with my first TT sailboat. Don’t get me wrong the boat looks great (hence the purchase), but I’m attaching a couple of photos to show my build and problems to date. First thing I notice upon opening the box was the Toyota decal port side; it’s inverted! Opp’s I guess someone missed that at the factory. Second, after doing an inventory check the screw hardware PJ6065 and ‘O’ Rings where missing. Not a biggie as I was planning of using stainless steel hardware, but an inconvenience nonetheless. I purchased some stainless steel hardware from Isobar including deck hardware (will include some photos in a later post) and some Mylar sails – thanks Todd.

Well it didn’t take long before the build started to go a bit funny. I was only on step 3 when one of the end caps for the keel and rudder tubes was approx 0.5mm bigger in diameter and wouldn’t fit. Without excess to a lathe I managed to use my TC tire truer to file down the cap. Once sorted I moved on to step 4 only to fine the steering arm to long – so out came the dremel. Now with the dremel warmed up and ready to go I figured I could use it to remove the snapped 2x8 SS screw in the main boom (step 9). That’s right I said snapped! At this point I decided to call it quits. Not with the boat but with today’s built.

After building countless on/off road cars with 3 to 4 times the parts I would have never have though a some what basic build would yield so many problems. As I said earlier I’m a bit disappointed with my first Thunder Tiger. The kicker is I haven’t even got the mast/rigging completed.

Thanks for letting me vent, still love the boat (but may consider a Tamiya next time) I’ll post more pics later - photos are clickable thumbs

Toyota and Keel Decals:

Keel and Rudder tubes:

Main Boom Screw (Snapped screw) and Servo arm:
d-main donnie is offline Find More Posts by d-main donnie
Old May 03, 2009, 07:00 PM
Joined May 2009
3 Posts
Isobar Deck Hardware

Here's some Isobar deck hardware pic's. Hope to get so photo's of the Mylar/Kevlar sails soon.
Old May 04, 2009, 03:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
ok dont be put off, it happens!

stainless steel quite frequently shears when ove torqued, i had it happen on roof vents on one of my rally cars years ago and almost decided to cut the car up with the jigsaw!

later etnzs have a note saying "cut" the rudder quadrant down in size.

as to the rest, im guessing you got the satan boat, its normally reserved for my english customers, who although in terms of wingeing and having issues , number only one but are a great stereotype!

have you found after rigging the boat that theres not enough string?

i did!

the tamiya boats are good, but even a stainless keel bolt will cease in to an alloy keel tube, so we found. was ok after half destroyed the boat to get it out!

well thats boats really, cars dont live in water!

you have more to learn when shes launched!

take the hull back to the shop and exchange it, i open all the hulls i get to check if they are cracked etc before sending them.

occasionally something has got to slip through, its a numbers game.

if you need any tips , feel free to email!

Ac
Old May 04, 2009, 04:35 AM
Joined Apr 2009
12 Posts
any tips of the top of your head

are their any simple alterations to the boat that i can make that will improve the looks and performance of the boat? if so where can i get them?
lowe123 is offline Find More Posts by lowe123
Old May 04, 2009, 06:09 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
depends on definition of simple!
although i have a vested interest in that i make upgrade sails, i did so that my boat actually worked!
so, in a word sails!!!!
Ac
Old May 04, 2009, 10:38 PM
Joined May 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospectredotcom
ok dont be put off, it happens!

stainless steel quite frequently shears when ove torqued, i had it happen on roof vents on one of my rally cars years ago and almost decided to cut the car up with the jigsaw!

later etnzs have a note saying "cut" the rudder quadrant down in size.

as to the rest, im guessing you got the satan boat, its normally reserved for my english customers, who although in terms of wingeing and having issues , number only one but are a great stereotype!

have you found after rigging the boat that theres not enough string?

i did!

the tamiya boats are good, but even a stainless keel bolt will cease in to an alloy keel tube, so we found. was ok after half destroyed the boat to get it out!

well thats boats really, cars dont live in water!

you have more to learn when shes launched!

take the hull back to the shop and exchange it, i open all the hulls i get to check if they are cracked etc before sending them.

occasionally something has got to slip through, its a numbers game.

if you need any tips , feel free to email!

Ac
Thanks Ac, after venting/cooling off I remembered that this is just a hobby. The main focus behind the ETNZ was to relax and enjoy some quite time at the cottage with family. I needed something a little less crazy than 1/10 touring car racing.... the constant set-up changes, tires, maintenance, etc... was getting a bit much not to mention the cost! After a few years at this level or racing I was no longer enjoying the "hobby". Hence the change.

I do indeed look forward to finishing the ETNZ. I will however send TT an email to inform them of my "satan boat" as you put it - lol. As for the rigging line I won't have to worry (I hope) as it will be swapped out for metal Pekabe wire and spectra line.

Again many Thanks... any thoughts on the Sailetc and/or Stockmartime boats?