HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2005, 03:08 AM
California
Joined May 2005
30 Posts
Went completely through the thread tonight. Very interesting content and lots of work especially by aerogel. I'm new to the thread and have interest in it continuing. I'm curious to hear if anyone has been able to achieve really sharp detail yet and has anyone tried pressure forming?

Gilley
Gilley is offline Find More Posts by Gilley
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2005, 02:31 AM
California
Joined May 2005
30 Posts
Hi All,

Had time to try out a few experiments. Some success was achieved using a covering heat gun and a plastic oven cooking bag on 2 mm Depron.

The image below shows the equipment. The plastic funnel is for changing your motor oil but works as a small plenum and forming platform. Two molds are shown one male and one female. The process begins by rigging the foam on the female mold and covering the whole affair with the oven bag which is remains intact up to around 450 degrees Farhenheit (232 degrees Celsius). The shop vac is turned on and the heat applied till the foam droops slightly into the cavity. The female mold is removed and the male mold substituted with the foam situated on top and the oven bag surrounding the whole affair as before. The shop vac is again turned on and heat applied. You have to be careful around the front and rear sections to avoid the foam folding together in a crease. Pressing in on these areas with a gloved hand works well. A wooden clay modeling tool was used to increase the crease at the bottom. The female mold was again put in place and the nearly completed foam was placed into it before covering with the oven bag. The shop vac was turned on and heat applied to complete the finished canopy as seen in the second image. It sounds complicated but really isn't that hard to accomplish.

Some residual artifacts on the forward section can be seen. They are a result of the oven bag being bunched together while heat was applied. Keeping it smooth while forming is important even if you have to stop the vac and adjust the oven bag to get it smooth in the area being formed. Notice also that the foam was literally drawn into the mold not stretched which is interesting.

This came as a result of reviewing work on this forum and work done in Germany (they used cling wrap which triggered the oven bag idea). I was thinking of making a frame to hold the foam to disallow the ends creasing together. I guess that'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Gilley

Gilley is offline Find More Posts by Gilley
Old May 18, 2005, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
That pretty much how a comercial machine does it...If you can get virgin depron and zepron...you will be set..

aerogel
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:16 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel
.....Unless you want to see it blow up.....

later aerogel

Hey,
I am pretty sure, if you add a layer of glass after putting the parts together you get a very sloid and light structure. If you already create such a nice fuse, you want it to last, right? Even if molding takes five minutes there is still a long way to make it fly nice. It will have to stand some crashes...

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old May 22, 2014, 06:29 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
just performed my first 3 experiments with zepron, all disasters
seem to be having difficulty getting the temperature even across the entire sheet by sticking it in the oven and the sheet thins out a lot in the middle.
I get some molding of the sheet but nothing like what you have achieved Aerogel.

Think I might try sticking it under the grill next time

If you have any hints or suggestions that would be great
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old May 22, 2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa Nutta View Post
just performed my first 3 experiments with zepron, all disasters
seem to be having difficulty getting the temperature even across the entire sheet by sticking it in the oven and the sheet thins out a lot in the middle.
I get some molding of the sheet but nothing like what you have achieved Aerogel.

Think I might try sticking it under the grill next time

If you have any hints or suggestions that would be great
It's been so long what I do remember it was visual just a little sag in the sheet then go go go go go suck it down as fast as you can.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:38 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
well I've been through 11 sheets of the Zepron for a total of 44 attempts at trying to guage the time and heat of my oven, biggest difficulty is getting the heat evenly across the sheet.

I've been trying to get the sheet as hot as possible without melting and had some modest success, one of all the bunch was close to what I was hoping for must of got it just right
Gas Mark 9 for about 22 seconds was where I ended up getting my best results but if I took it a second too long then bam ! melt out !!

FRUSTRATING as HELL !!

Despite trying to count off the same number of seconds I would would get variable results, and yes, I was watching for that sag moment too, really very tricky, I was looking at some of your earlier results and they were good !!

Maybe I need a few electric elements right next to the vac box...
and maybe a bit more suction perhaps....

Well anyway here is my afternoon of disaster
Old May 22, 2014, 06:38 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
I'm loving attempt #30
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old May 22, 2014, 08:39 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,283 Posts
Is Zepron still available? A quick Google search yielded only sites from 2008 or earlier.

I remember years ago, a crazy guy in New York (iffin I reckamember correctly) sold it, along with a variety of RC goodies. Anyone remember his name or the website (long gone) ?
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old May 22, 2014, 09:01 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
I've no idea, I bought this stuff ages ago, 30 sheets, stuck it all in a box and forgot about it until recently. I got 20 sheets left and then thats it. ie. 80 more attempts only...

Never imagined I would get it right first time but I did think by attempt 10 or so I would of had it nailed, 42 attempts before I get lucky... and yeah attempt #30 was an annoying one, especially after attempt #28........
#12 wasn't so bad but it is very thin around the bottom just half a second too late...

All I got so far is one half of a body I am happy with...... oh well.
If one can still buy Depron surely one must be able to get Zepron ??

Who makes Depron ?
Old May 23, 2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
I could never achieve the amount of detail, I was really looking for and even using Durobatics coated in a two part mold so I figured out another way best of all it was very easy to put it all together. it tis an Art and you will get failures but when it works it's priceless..
Old May 23, 2014, 12:16 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa Nutta View Post

Who makes Depron ?
www.selit.de
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jun 02, 2014, 06:53 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2002
312 Posts
CN,
My favourite is #38.

I have been crudely moulding split depron (iFoam) recently and found that the wifes oven is rubbish for it as it is an electric fan oven. So all I can set is the average temp of the air inside, the heating element is only off or on (dependant on the thermostat setting v current temp) so when the air is a bit below the required it blows very hot air [300 deg C ish] over my foam which rapidly becomes a shrivelled mess. Are you having similar issues ?

Rob
RobT is offline Find More Posts by RobT
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:33 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
My oven is gas so no, but I do find it difficult to gauge the right moment to pull it out & onto to the vac bed, gonna try pulling an old toaster apart next
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:38 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2002
312 Posts
Good luck with the toaster! My hot wire cutter uses a big LiPo, a [brushed] ESC and a Servo Tester.

Rob
RobT is offline Find More Posts by RobT