HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2007, 12:03 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Rave
Freestyle-Hobby / Honey Bee FP

Some of you may have already seen a few posts about this, and if you listened to Episode 3 at www.insideheli.com you heard me mention it. But for those who missed it, I've just got to rave about my latest "yardbird" heli.

I started with a Honey Bee FP barebones, and added the belt drive tail conversion from Freestyle-Hobby. Since this conversion uses the stock Honey Bee frame, the conversion is remarkably simple. The most complicated part of it (or any heli, for that matter) is setting up and tuning the tail servo and gyro (Telebee HH).

Ready to fly weight is 338 grams. For power, I'm using an ARC 20-34-110 motor from www.lightflightrc.com, paired with a 9T pinion and Castle Phoenix 10 ESC. This is a perfect combination, and sips the juice from an Apex 850 mAH 3S pack at a miserly average of under 3 amps! This gives me easy 10 minute flights without pushing the battery at all.

Servos are Bluebird BMS-306BB's all around, also from LightFlight RC. These are fantastic servos, with super-tight geartrains and ball bearing output shafts. They have replaced all my Hitec HS-55's, which are simply not in the same league.

And finally, I'm now running Kyosho M24 blades purchased from ToyHaus on eBay. I initially flew on Honey Bee blades I'd modded by gluing balsa to the undersides to make flat blades (as seen in the first video below) but tracking wasn't great and that induced a vibration. The M24 blades rock! Super smooth, perfect tracking, and nimble handling. They really spin up though, so I don't know how well they'd work on a stock-motored Honey Bee FP.

Anyway, enough rambling. Some pics and a couple of videos follow. Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions.

-Chris

First video, with modded Esky blades:

Belt drive FP fun! (4 min 45 sec)

New video with Kyosho M24 blades (sorry about the 'cute feet' comments from JustPlaneLiz )

Freestyle Honey Bee FP Hybrid (3 min 22 sec)
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Last edited by JustPlaneChris; Jun 09, 2007 at 12:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2007, 12:40 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Kudos to the pilot and the camera person. Well done.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jun 09, 2007, 01:49 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Looking good JustPlaneChris. Those left turn funnels are smoother than ever. Gone are the stepped left turns ei. That Arc 110 is something to think about. It seems very zippy.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jun 09, 2007, 04:58 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Mar 2004
413 Posts
Very smooth Chris.
Rosella is offline Find More Posts by Rosella
Old Jun 09, 2007, 06:12 AM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
520 Posts
Looking good Chris!
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
Old Jun 09, 2007, 06:54 AM
expert heli pilot wanabee
United States, CA, Los Banos
Joined Jul 2006
2,229 Posts
nice flying chris wish i can fly like that someday and thats why we were using 3s lipo on the m24 blades cause we cannot attain lift on the m24's with 2s due to the low headspeed.
siryan is offline Find More Posts by siryan
Old Jun 09, 2007, 09:01 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Thanks guys! It is a very smooth-flying little bird. And you may have noticed the breeze in the trees too, it wasn't one of those super-calm afternoons.

Gino, the little ARC 110 does a great job as long as the weight is under 350g. Above that and it strains a little, but still does a good job with a miserly power consumption.

-Chris
Old Jun 09, 2007, 09:24 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
So what is the total cost without all the elctronics?

The HBFP is about $50. for the barebones kit i think, and then the belt conversion?

What all do you use on the HBFP?
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Jun 09, 2007, 12:50 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64
So what is the total cost without all the elctronics?

The HBFP is about $50. for the barebones kit i think, and then the belt conversion?

What all do you use on the HBFP?
You use pretty much the entire FP airframe, minus the tail boom (it gets cut off, leaving a short stub). And of course, you don't use the stock motors.

My airframe, with the carbon option, breaks down as:

$41 for the barebones Honey Bee
$107.90 for the belt conversion (with carbon option and plastic tail)

Shipping not included. In other words, this is not a cheap setup! The bare airframe costs very nearly what an entry-level T-Rex costs. But, if you want a front yard flyer for those late afternoon sorties, it's really fun.

-Chris
Old Jun 09, 2007, 02:24 PM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
I am still flying my HB pretty stock, but I can still dream of the next step . I know your philosophy is "fly it light."

So a 1320 or 1350 pack would put it over the comfortable weight range for the ARC 110? I think they are about 35g heavier than the battery you are flying. Are you still using any balance weight in the nose? What motor/ESC is needed as you step up to the 100g 3S batteries?

Thanks,
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Thanks guys! It is a very smooth-flying little bird. And you may have noticed the breeze in the trees too, it wasn't one of those super-calm afternoons.

Gino, the little ARC 110 does a great job as long as the weight is under 350g. Above that and it strains a little, but still does a good job with a miserly power consumption.

-Chris
ailevin is offline Find More Posts by ailevin
Old Jun 09, 2007, 03:42 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin
So a 1320 or 1350 pack would put it over the comfortable weight range for the ARC 110?
I think it would still fly fine, as I do have about 7g of nose weight. A TP1320 is only about 25g heavier than the Apex 850, so the net gain would only be about 20g.

-Chris
Old Jun 09, 2007, 05:29 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
10 gram weight loss....

I just re-maidened my Spektrumized Freestyle FP, and the weight is now down to 328g.

I purchased a used LP5DSM (Blade CX2 transmitter) from someone here in the forum and paired it with an AR6100 RX. Not only did this net me a 10 gram weight loss, but now I don't have to worry about the guy down the street and what frequency he's on when I fly in my front yard.

Corey, if you happen to read this, the transmitter obviously works great. So great, in fact, that I think I'll keep this for myself and donate an older 72mhz radio of mine for "project roaming trainer".

The only interesting side-effect of this radio swap is my pirouette rate is now totally insane (not just partially insane like it was before) since I have no ATV in this TX to tone it down.

-Chris
Old Jun 09, 2007, 07:07 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
520 Posts
Chris,
Does that mean you can take out the 7 grams of nose weight?
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
Old Jun 09, 2007, 07:26 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctholson
Chris,
Does that mean you can take out the 7 grams of nose weight?
Unfortunately no, it still needs it for proper CG. The weight I lost was basically centered under the main shaft. I wish I could put the receiver up front (even though it's only 3.5 grams now) but the wires on the servos are too darn short!

-Chris
Old Jun 09, 2007, 09:13 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Added Paint, then BROKE IT!

I BROKE IT! I had a "smackdown" incident that wasn't even hard enough to break a skid, but the negative G-loading flexed the boom down enough to crush/collapse the front of it where it's clamped. It rebounded back into the air, but with a droopy butt it was rather unstable and ended up crashing literally at my feet. No other damage... it is a FP after all.

Contrary to what you might think, the carbon arrow shaft is actually quite fragile compared to a "woven" carbon tail boom like on a T-Rex, and is easy to crush. In fact, I crushed it in a similar manner during initial assembly by over-tightening the clamp. I think it's time to get an aluminum one, and / or possibly add some tail boom struts (which means going to the Walkera landing gear so it has something to bolt to).

If you are contemplating this belt kit, I'd recommend going for the aluminum tail boom option, or just be aware that it's easy to crush the carbon boom with overzealous tightening or impacts, and keep some spares on hand. Luckily, spares are as close as your nearest archery shop.

-Chris