HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2002, 12:43 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Wattage PF-12: Can it really charge 12 cells using a 12V lead acid battery for power?

Has anyone actually charged 12 cells using the Wattage PF-12 battery charger using a 12V lead acid battey for power? Better yet, has anyone hooked up a Whattmeter to monitor what happens when charging 12 cells on 12VDC power? If so I would really like to hear from you. I suspect that the PF-12 is a 7-cell max battery charger from 12VDC power. Hopefully I am wrong but I would really like to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY TRIED charging 12 cells from 12VDC power (car battery).

Thanks,

Buzz
Tfour2 is offline Find More Posts by Tfour2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2002, 01:07 PM
Westerly, RI, USA
Joined Oct 2002
1,482 Posts
Many chargers only have a 12 volt automobile power battery option and advertise that they can handle more cells than you are asking about, so I don't really see a problem here? I assume it specifies that it can handle 12 cells... and you are questioning this fact?

Okay, I do see that it specifies 4 to 12 cells... so why would you question this?
hopsterguy is offline Find More Posts by hopsterguy
Last edited by hopsterguy; Nov 01, 2002 at 01:14 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2002, 01:14 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Re: Wattage PF-12: Can it really charge 12 cells using a 12V lead acid battery for power?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tfour2
Has anyone actually charged 12 cells using the Wattage PF-12 battery charger using a 12V lead acid battey for power? Better yet, has anyone hooked up a Whattmeter to monitor what happens when charging 12 cells on 12VDC power? If so I would really like to hear from you. I suspect that the PF-12 is a 7-cell max battery charger from 12VDC power. Hopefully I am wrong but I would really like to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY TRIED charging 12 cells from 12VDC power (car battery).

Thanks,

Buzz
I don't know what charger you must've bought that had misleading advertising......but it sounds as if you think WattAge is doing the same thing.

I have not done 12 cells, but I have done 10 on the PF-12 on DC. No, I didn't measure the current. I can and perhaps I will.

In the photo at the bottom of my first Recurring Charge, the PF-12 is shown charging an 8X720 NiMH pack. All the chargers in that picture are running off of the same 12V deep cycle battery.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 01, 2002, 01:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Wow....slow down.....

Buzz, The charger is fully capable of handling 12 cells, just as other 12volt chargers are able to handle much higher cell counts (not uncommon to see 24-30 cell chargers). These chargers have circuitry that boost the voltage to charge the higher cell counts.

I don't use that particular charger, but I do use hitec and have charged two 8 cell packs (at the same time) using my hitec 340 (16cell charger) off my home 12volt supply as well as a car battery (usually 13.8 volts). My charger can have as low as 9 vots supply to as high as 14volts.

Trust me it works - it's just magic!?!
Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Nov 01, 2002 at 01:30 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2002, 02:57 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hopsterguy

Okay, I do see that it specifies 4 to 12 cells... so why would you question this? [/B]

Because sometimes advertising can be slightly misleading. I have a charger that says "charges 1-8 cells AC/DC" on the box. What is not evident until you read the directions is that 15 VDC/110 VAC is required for 8 cell operation. My lead acid battery (at rest) reads 12.5 volts or so and doesn't have enough overhead to peak charge 8 cells, but 7 cells are OK. To get 8 cells to peak the car must be running (the voltage in my car reads 13.8 volts when idling). The Tekin 112 charger advertises it can charge up to 12 cells I think but needs 24 VDC (read the instructions) to get to that cell count. Same thing with the maha chargers I believe. So I would like to avoid that pitfall.

Anyway the question still stands - Has anyone ACTUALLY TRIED charging 12 cells with the PF-12 when using a regular 12 VDC lead acid (car) battery? Hand wave, speculate and assume all you want, but nothing has a stronger impact as hearing someone say (write??) "I tried it and it works." Maybe no one on this forum has tried this yet???

Thanks,

Buzz
Old Nov 01, 2002, 03:31 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Re: Re: Wattage PF-12: Can it really charge 12 cells using a 12V lead acid battery for power?

Quote:
Originally posted by BEC

I have not done 12 cells, but I have done 10 on the PF-12 on DC. No, I didn't measure the current. I can and perhaps I will.
OK, Great. The fact that the PF-12 can handle at least 10 cells from a 12 VDC source is a good thing to know. Some AC/DC chargers handle a lesser number of cells when charging from a DC source as opposed to a 110 VAC source.

Thanks for your reply BEC. I am just trying to understand the capabilities and limitations of this product.

But hey, the PF-12 is priced so low maybe I should just get one and quit wasting time asking about it?

Buzz
Old Nov 02, 2002, 05:15 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
OK Buzz, proof!

Here you go. PF-12, running off of a group 24 deep cycle battery, putting 1.9A into a series connected pair of two 6-cell 1700SCRC NiCds - so - 1.9A into 12 cells from a 12V battery source.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 06, 2002, 01:21 PM
Southwest Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2002
443 Posts
Re: OK Buzz, proof!

Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
Here you go. PF-12, running off of a group 24 deep cycle battery, putting 1.9A into a series connected pair of two 6-cell 1700SCRC NiCds - so - 1.9A into 12 cells from a 12V battery source.
Thanks BEC,

I really only wanted to know if anyone had tried it, not if someone would actually set up 12 cells on the PF-12. But I'm sure glad you did it.

It appeared to me that the instructions were a bit vague regarding operations from a 12V power source. I expected to see a range of voltages that would result in proper operation of the PF-12, like from 10-15 volts DC for example. But since nothing like that was expressly stated I began to wonder. Sometimes I get myself into trouble by making assumptions.

But hey, now you've done it so my fears are put to rest. The 12 cell battery you rigged up and tested terminated the charge process in the normal manner I hope.

L8R,

Buzz