SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
6 Posts
Help!
New foamy F-14 looking for tips from the seasoned vets...

Hello all... Ok here's the short version: I was working on a TV show here in LA and at lunch time some of the crew started getting together and flying those cheap $30 twin motor flyers from Target. One of the directors I became friends with had one as well and loved flying it. As the weeks went on the number of flyers increased as did the size of the planes; Stars Hallow (I worked for the now cancelled Gilmore Girls), started to look like an airport. Being the youtube junky that I am, I started looking up various RC videos and what not and stumbled upon the infamous Foamy F-14 video. I showed this to my friend and was instantly smitten by it. I joked he should buy one and command the skies. I pointed him out to a website where he could purchase it and laughed that it was only $200 (low and behold that was in pounds and not dollars and did not include some very necessary parts). He said he wouldn't know how to build it, I interjected with a confident "that would be no problem for me." A few days later he called me on my bluff. He tells me that if I build it and do everything to it to fly he would purchase it and let me have first fly (albeit its final flight). After a few more weeks of research and price hunting I order this thing from Airpac. It looks amazing. I opened the box and beheld the possibilities.

I know what some of you more experienced people are thinking. Yes I know I'm going to crash it on it's maiden flight, (yes it will get of the ground, I'm hand launching this sucker). Although I've never assembled anything like this before I possess the ingenuity and common sense of the above average. I have a black belt in arts and crafts and my hands are illegal in nine states including Canada. So I have mental and physical faculties, just the actual know how on how to assemble certain things I lack. I'm sure I could figure it out by myself but why not use the resources and the well versed RC community to step up the level of this project.

Thus far I've sanded the individual foam pieces (who were ad-wizards that came up with this one? I mean come on this is Styrofoam. They couldn't find a stronger foam something a little more resilient; say something that doesn't dent when I breath on it.) After that I assembled the ducted fan and housing w/motor. I've soldered the connectors (I going to hope I did that right), and I just need to assemble an extended splitter to connect the ESC's to the Receiver.

Does anyone know of a good filler for foam? Something that's not heavy but hard enough to sand and not get gummy. I tried using liquid nails to fill in some gaps but it doesn't get hard enough to sand properly. Epoxy is way too gummy and the foam in a can crap doesn't get hard enough to sand.

One thing I have yet to purchase are the Lipoly batteries. I've tried reading some of the other group's posts but I'm having a little trouble deciphering some of the technical short-hand used. It's like a language twins teach each other. I grasp the "don't let the amperage exceed the ESC amperage" and what not it's just knowing where to get the right battery and for the best price. I have the standard Airpac motors 2200mah I think with 35 amp esc.

Now before I start assembling the fans into the actual jet I know I have to test the balance and the motor amperage or something. But after I've purchased the batteries and tested the motors I'll attempt to install motor housing access panels. Basically replacing part of the foam outer ducting of the fan with vacuform plastic and a hinged locking release mechanism. It's like a intake housing booby-trap.

I've hinged the ailerons and created larger holes for the servos to mount. The servos connecting to the tail are going to be a bit tricky. I think I'll have to actually cut a hole into the intake tube and make the servo bottom flush with the wall of the inside. Next I'm making servo hoods out of vacuform plastic for aerodynamics.

I've cut some peices of hollow carbon rods to reinforce the wings and tail.. things.

I'm looking to paint this thing or cover it in something. I do not want to glass this thing because I don't need another thing to learn, not yet at least (soon enough I'll have my Fiberglass black belt, give it time). I have been looking at stuff like monokote and some foam safe spray adhesive with a quick heat job to prevent bubbling and webbing but I'm sure there is something more appropriate to adhere to this thing without weighing it down. Pretty much I just need to cover the bottom of this so as to avoid having the bottom being shredded to death by blades of grass (landing gear? Oh, heavens no...)

I do want to get this thing taken care of soon but I can't progress too quickly because I have to do this without prior experience so I learn as I go. More questions to come and I'll post the pictures if you want me too slash I'm going to anyways.

Thanks
TenaciousJake is offline Find More Posts by TenaciousJake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2007, 04:01 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
"Light Weight " spackel ...from hardware store.DAP is the brand name comes in a small plastic tub...it Must SAY LIGHT WEIGHT....as for more info you are a accomplished R/C pilot ? if not you'll need to learn on someing else. what is the kit manf. name? Carl Rich has a thread on his foamy F-14 ...but i dont know if yours is the same kit.good luck
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 08, 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
White Salmon, Wa
Joined Oct 2003
2,588 Posts
There is an iron on covering call Nelson Litefilm also known as Solite and is also being maketed by Coverite but I don't remember what they call it. It goes over foam really well. I recommend spakling first. I also recommend getting someone to fly it for you the first time because it will not be trimmed. It is hard enough learning to fly with a trimmed airplane but learning to trim AND learning to fly at the same time is really hard. Add to that, that you are going to try to fly a very advanced airplane and well.... Go to any club field such as the one in the Sepulveda basin and you will find helpful people.
RCA
RCAV8R13 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R13
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX ASK 21 with EDF pod
Old Jun 08, 2007, 10:53 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousJake
Hello all... After a few more weeks of research and price hunting I order this thing from Airpac. It looks amazing. I opened the box and beheld the possibilities.
This is the plane......Airpower F-14. ( http://www.airpacmodels.com/twe/prod...roducts_id=472 )
It is also sold through electric jet factory ( www.ejf.com ) and www.airpowernet.com/twe

Here is the build thread on this plane: Please read it and it should help you greatly:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635224
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
6 Posts
Hey guys thanks. Carl's thread has helped me quite a bit but it's just a few details I need.

Yes I did order the Airpower f-14 from Airpacmodels.com. I took Air Sally's advice and found the light weight spackel. I spackeled the parts but have yet to sand. I picked up some Krylon H20 paint. I tried it on a sample spot and I think it sucks. Is there anything else aside from this I can use that's foam safe?

Am I missing anything? I have my batteries, two 2200mah 3 cell venom batteries, and the 35 amp escs and two motors that came with the package. I have the Radio, Laser 6. I feel like I'm missing something (aside from any sort of ability to not crash this thing on it's first flight).

I will be heading down to the Sepulveda Basin once all is said and done and I'm hoping I can get this thing trimmed by one of the guys they said can do it.

I'll be looking into the Nelson Microlite, thanks Rcav8

Pictures soon to come
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:01 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
Well what many of us use is water base polyurathane varnish...it's made for coating wood but after spackel you brush on a coat sand it with 320 sand paper (be carefull not to hard or the foam leave marks) just sand the fuss off then a final coat lightly sanded and then we paint them with model masters or tayima plastic model paint ...the colors are scale and if you apply them lightly they dont harm the foam .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
Joined Apr 2007
6 Posts
Sanding Pictures

This is just after I sanded the whole thing... More pictures of my progress to come.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:01 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Testors brand Model Master spray paint comes in a wide variety of colors that are arranged with the Federal Standard color code system and match the full size airplanes. If you have a plastic model kit it will tell you what color the full size airplane was. You can also find the info online sometimes or in aftermarket decal kits for plastic models. The Model Master sprays are foam safe.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
926 Posts
That's a nice kit. Had one, but didn't have the time to build it. E-mail the manufacturer in Taiwan with any questions. They are good to get back.

http://www.rc-epf.com/ensite/en_index.html

Retracts should be coming soon for that kit also.

They reccommend the ESC in the intake and the batteries/receiver under the canopy.
FNFAL is offline Find More Posts by FNFAL
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:52 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Several of us that posted in Carl's build log have put retracts in this F-14....so....retracts are not coming soon, they have already been done. However, Airpac may come up with a package deal for landing gear for this plane.....who knows.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
is this the same f-14 being sold by infinity hobby?...

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...roducts_id=919
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
is this the same f-14 being sold by infinity hobby?...

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...roducts_id=919
Yes.

electric jet factory sells them too(that is where I got mine). www.ejf.com

www.airpowernet.com is the US distributor for airpac, so you might find better shipping from airpowernet or ejf then with infinity.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:48 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
You might consider fiberglassing at least some of the more vulnerable areas (underside, nose, stabs, etc) with very light fiberglass cloth and WBPU.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
Guys check this out...

http://www.aerosmith-hobby.com/f_14_0001.asf

cheers
vortices is offline Find More Posts by vortices
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Decent video. Carl's F-14 is much faster then that though and it has retracts.