HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2007, 05:08 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Discussion
Using Electric RC car parts in electric flight......

I know people have used car motors before 540 and faster / more torque winds, in their planes and I've since been told I could use my old RC Car Speed Controllers as long as its for 400 / 480 series motors and below (speed 600 may draw to much power) is this correct?
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:07 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
The car ESC's don't have voltage cutoffs. Atleast they used to not. They'd let you run down till your car just ran off on it's own. By that point the voltage was low enough it went pretty slow.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:49 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Do you mean the Electronic ones or the servo assisted ones with the big capacitor?
I Meant the electronic ones, an LRP Sprinter and an LRP F1 Reverse (with forward / brake only option) I had full control over the servo and the direction of the car(s) just it was a lot slower as far as I can remember when using them.
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:10 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
According to this LRP page,
http://www.teamassociated.com/misc/q...rd_reverse.htm
the F1 has a BEC and can handle 30 amps so it may well be usable.....
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:36 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Pay attention to the voltage cutoff. Although really slowed down control response at low voltage is okay on a car. It really is not on a plane. Only some of the ESC's on the Team Associated page had voltage cutoffs. I'm not a Lipo user so I don't know how long goint to 3volt/cell is.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:56 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
If you're going to use NiCd/NiMh cells, just fly until the power falls off. Many of us do this all the time with our planes, so it shouldn't be a problem.

30 amps isn't much when you get into r/c car motors. Even a 27 turn stocker can pull 45 amps in a high load condition for a short time.
For plain silver can 540-550 motors, you should be fine, just watch the prop size.

Next concern would be voltage. Not too many planes that I know of designed for 540-600 size motors, flew very well on 7.2 volts . Usually 7-8 cells is what it took to get them going.

Lastly, if you're considering using the ESC for a S-400 motor it would be fine, but it probably weighs 5-10 times what a typical 10-15A brushed plane ESC does.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jun 07, 2007, 09:05 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
According to this web page, the sprinter has a BEC also:
http://www.lrp-electronic.de/e/uploa...-userguide.pdf

The problem may be that both speed controls he has only have a .6 amp BEC. Both are 5V BECs. I am not sure I would not use them with over 2 servos.

later,
Mel D.
Old Jun 07, 2007, 09:12 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
Popsracer is corect on all counts. One tweak is that if you gear a car motor, you can reduce the current significantly while getting more thrust to boot. Depends on the kind of plane you want to fly, though. BTW, I just found a note in the Sprinter manual that says if you are going to use it with 2 servos and a 7 cell pack you should use a seperate receiver pack. I would guess the F1 is the same....
Old Jun 07, 2007, 09:27 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
I've had great luck with Kyosho Endoplasma car motors with cheap gearboxes.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer