Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2007, 07:23 AM
Certified Riteaholic
San Marcos, CA.
Joined Oct 2003
649 Posts
Discussion
Ritewing TL 60 Ordered! (Question Inside)

Well, my family of Ritewings is about to grow again! I just ordered a TL 60 from CK. One of these days, I'm going to stop SLACKING and start building the Rite way. I have a Demon 45, and a TL 50. I just can't seem to get enough of them!

Question: When you did your first build, did it come out as well as you would have hoped for? My "building experience" is limited to taping Zagi's together. If you want to call that building.

I really want to get started on a build of my own. I'm a perfectionist. I'm also an automotive technician, so working with my hands is nothing new. I just need a couple of you to kick me in the rear a little bit.
joekoz is offline Find More Posts by joekoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2007, 08:29 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Hi Joe,

my first build was a TL50 and I did have some surprises. I thought I was good at a 49oz build but got a surprise at balance time and had to add 8oz of weight in the nose. I'm not too concerned due to the natural wing loading of 12oz/sq ft at 3lb, but I was disappointed. I talked to CK and we figured that it was my two layers of henry's and the glue much of which was behind the CG that caused it. Now I have a TL60 on the board and I'm at the layout stage, so just starting. This time I'll mark the expected CG top and bottom prior to glassing to help. The other item is the pushrod exit angle which was rather blind on the first build; now that I have a reference it will be easier to set on the new build. everything else was pretty clean. I even cut the airscoops in late but it worked out ok as I was able to make the air channel miss the servo lead.

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:30 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Jeo, suprisingly my first build came out good. There was some oops' here and there but the end result was very acceptable.

However this was on a $50 TL lite I bought from a fellow member of RCG. So it would'nt of been a huge loss if I had junked it.

Since this is a 60, I think you should pick up some cheap cores from rcworks.com You can even get the 2nd's just to practice on. This will give you a grasp on how steps are done.

If you decide to jump in and get your feet wet with the 60, just take your time!!! Think out every step before you do it. Double check all measurements, and you should do just fine.

Like mentioned before, think lite behind the CG. Your first build will turn out fine, there is always room for improvement. They will get better every time! Most of all have fun! I know you will.

Adam

PS I am on Ritewing #8 now!!!!
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:34 AM
Certified Riteaholic
San Marcos, CA.
Joined Oct 2003
649 Posts
Atom-
Holy cow! #8. You are a mad man! I like your idea about practice cores. I do have some Zagi cores that I could work with.
When I said I ordered the 60, what that meant was CK is doing it for me.

Twilkers-
Sounds like you overall were happy with your first effort. Are you posting a build log for your 60?
joekoz is offline Find More Posts by joekoz
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:48 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoz
Sounds like you overall were happy with your first effort. Are you posting a build log for your 60?
Hi Joe,

Yeah, I'm very happy with the first one. There is always something to learn and the community here very supportive especially CK. I have another TL50 core in the wings and will build it better next time, retiring my first attempt ultimately.

I hadn't thought of doing a build log, Atom has done such an outstanding job on his that anything I would do is redundant. I do especially like the motor mount method as I used the other method and the thrust line is a little off.
Old Jun 07, 2007, 11:49 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers
Hi Joe,

Yeah, I'm very happy with the first one. There is always something to learn and the community here very supportive especially CK. I have another TL50 core in the wings and will build it better next time, retiring my first attempt ultimately.

I hadn't thought of doing a build log, Atom has done such an outstanding job on his that anything I would do is redundant. I do especially like the motor mount method as I used the other method and the thrust line is a little off.
Well feel free to add any tips tricks, or something I missed
Old Jun 07, 2007, 01:17 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
Well feel free to add any tips tricks, or something I missed
ok, sure will. I do have one questions though for you.

How do you ensure the correct exit angle for the pushrods when they are buried? After I had the ailerons installed I just cut the henry's and made little ramps for everything to match up. then goop in the ramps and covered. I see you guys seem to know the proper exit location and angle much earlier in the process.

Got any tricks there since you're 8 builds into this?

BTW I do really like your motor mount scheme.

tim
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:12 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
The motor mount change is not my idea I had concerns about the way the motor mount plate installs as its easy to mis-align when doing it the envelope style. CK told me to try it this way and I will only do it this way from now on.

As far as the spacing of the Gold n Rod, there is no trick for me really? I just guess. After the slot is cut I use a piece of GnR as a spacer at approximately 2-2.5" from the trailing edge. So far so good!

Joe, what powerplant are you going to use? Is it a suprise?

Adam
Old Jun 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
No pressure or nothing but.... I have the wing joined bays cut, spars installed, and lids on. The servos are ordered, Servo city has a huge sale on all Hitecs, get em while they are cheap, and I finally chose a powerplant! I think?

Looking at a 16-25-3 on 6s with a 2-1 and 8x4 or 8x6 prop. The numbers look good. Any thoughts on this setup??? Amps are under 30.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,768 Posts
Adam wht are the rpms ,the sweet spot is a 8/4 at 15 to 17 k rpms.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
No pressure or nothing but.... I have the wing joined bays cut, spars installed, and lids on. The servos are ordered, Servo city has a huge sale on all Hitecs, get em while they are cheap, and I finally chose a powerplant! I think?

Looking at a 16-25-3 on 6s with a 2-1 and 8x4 or 8x6 prop. The numbers look good. Any thoughts on this setup??? Amps are under 30.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 10, 2007, 03:47 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
The Prop rpm is 17K.

Will the 16-25-3 take 6s?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003