Old Jun 05, 2007, 08:52 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Discussion
XF5U-1 "Flying Flapjack"

I've had a real desire to build one of these ever since I first saw a picture of one. I suppose that since it never went past the experimental stage it might not be a REAL warbird, but it was built for that purpose and that is good enough for me. I am working on the plans right now and will hopefully finish in another week or so. In the meantime, I thought I'd post a picture so that those of you who have never seen one will know what I'm building.

As soon as construction commences, I will post some pictures.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:07 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,270 Posts
hey the real one flew so that counts for me! I have a set of plans from a mag afew years back i think..I will check when i get home...it was a speed 400 size and loked like it flew pretty well...its on my some day list.
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 05, 2007, 09:34 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
alfa was making one---it was in the r&d section forever!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jun 06, 2007, 12:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
To be perfectly correct, the real XF5U never flew.
It was built, but scrapped before ever getting into the air.

The smaller, lighter test bed, the V-173, is the only one that flew. It was a light aircraft and the XF5U was heavy metal.

One of the Kiona publishing group magazines had a plan for a nice XF5U a while back....it appears you can download their plan for a mere 49 cents from their website:

http://www.kionapublishing.com/catal...roducts_id=657
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 06, 2007, 10:17 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,523 Posts
I bought that mag to get the "plans" for the plane. There is not much there to work from, which is the reason I never built one.

I would be nice to see "real" plans for this plane.
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Jun 06, 2007, 04:58 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,270 Posts
Hi, I stand corrected! I thought it had flown...still counts for me..that is the plans I have and they dont have much on them..the ribs are not to the same scale as the plans which means you have to scale them up...Same reason I havnt got around to building one yet..O yea the other 50 kits i have too.
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:18 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Project Update

I've decided to build it at 1/8 scale. This will make the model 48.75" wide and 42.75" long. (I'm basing all my drawings and measurements on the Paul Matt scale drawings I already have) Right now I'm looking at primarily balsa construction with a little lite-ply and carbon fiber thrown in for reinforcement/engine mounting. Still working on the plans. Hope to be finished soon.
Old Jun 07, 2007, 08:07 PM
4th Generation
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Sep 2004
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
I've decided to build it at 1/8 scale. This will make the model 48.75" wide and 42.75" long. (I'm basing all my drawings and measurements on the Paul Matt scale drawings I already have) Right now I'm looking at primarily balsa construction with a little lite-ply and carbon fiber thrown in for reinforcement/engine mounting. Still working on the plans. Hope to be finished soon.
I for one cannot wait to see your progress. Have you thought about power systems?
ShaverR6 is offline Find More Posts by ShaverR6
Old Jun 07, 2007, 09:35 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
912 Posts
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/a...f5upreview.htm
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/al...f5upreview.htm

These may be of some help
The Hasegawa XF5U-1 has apparently been reissued and would be a big help in this build. I dont know anything about the company that makes the 1/48 but may be worth looking into.

Travis
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Jun 07, 2007, 10:36 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
I have a set of plans in .DXF format, dimensions 1020 x 900 mm, Depron construction, for two Speed-480 motors. The plans were drawn by a gentleman in Italy, who graciously made them available for free download. PM me if you want a set emailed to you.

Tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Jun 08, 2007, 12:06 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
I built one from those plans already. It didn't work out very well. I decided I'd do just as well to start from scratch and try to build as light as possible.

As far as power systems go, I'm going to try to run it off a pair of E-Flite 450 or 480 outrunners mated to a pair of 25-30A ESCs and a 3s 3300 Li-po pack. This is very preliminary, though. I need to see what the structure will weigh before start purchasing powerplants.

Right now I'm more concerned about prop selection. Due to its low AR, the aircraft mounted counter-rotating 16 foot 4-bladed propellers. The starboard prop rotated clockwise (as viewed from the rear of the plane looking forward) and the port prop rotated counter-clockwise. This is to cancel out the vortices on the wingtips which would otherwise render the airplane unflyable. While I'm under no illusions about finding a 'scale' prop for this thing, I would like to retain the 4 bladed format, and I MUST have the props counter-rotate. I haven't been able to find a 4-bladed pusher prop anywhere so far.

Right now the only idea I have is to take two regular props and 'notch' them slightly to align perpendicular to one another when mounted to the motor. This would actually give a more 'scale' look considering the staggered arrangement of the blades on the full-scale aircraft. I will have to do some bench-tests to see if this will work.

I've always thought that this was a really nice looking airplane, so I hope that this one flies. Once I get the plans finalized, the airplane built, and a couple of flight tests completed, I will post the plans online.
Last edited by KFC; Jun 08, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:21 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Interesting factoid about the full-scale version: The aircraft was covered in 'Metalite', an aluminum/balsa sandwich bonded together resulting in exceptional strength and a slick finish. In fact, the airplane was so strong that during the initial attempt to scrap it with a wrecking ball, the ball bounced off the aircraft!
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:29 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,523 Posts
HellRazor_77,

Are you planning on using retracts? Because with four blades you will definitely break something on landing. You would be better off going un-scale and just using two blade blades.
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Jun 08, 2007, 08:54 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,028 Posts
HellRazor,

I too will be following this tread very closely. I've been researching and building a 1/8th scale XF5U for the past 2+ years. In all honesty this has turned into a winter project as the work is taking longer than I expected and I want to be able to build some other projects in between.

I spent a lot of time researching the drivetrain as I want my model to emulate the VTOL characteristics planned for the original. In order to get the low-speed characteristics plus a reasonable top-end speed I ended up with a pair of AXI 4130-16 motors driving 2.5:1 belt drives to power a pair of 21x18 Zinger props (you can buy pusher and tractor 22x18 Zingers and cut them down ). I REALLY wanted to go true scale with the props and 4 blades but that would require a lot more power than I had money for . Even 24" two-bladed props would be too much, so I'm pretty happy to spin 21" props. With this drivetrain and an 8s1p 4900mah NeuPower setup MotoCalc estimated 1600W. Since I am shooting for an 11-12lb AUW that would put me around 135+ W/lb, which should help with the VTOL attempts. FWIW the AXIs will be mounted behind the original radial engine openings, and the belt drives will allow the power to be channeled right to the prop extentions. Yeah, complicated but cool IMHO.

So far I've machined up one of the belt drives, completed 70% of the plans (like you based on the Paul Matt drawings) and built 1/4 of the ribs for the airframe. The ribs are all built-up truss construction with the curved section laminated. Not sure what you are planning to allow access to the guts but I was planning a clamshell arrangement for the fuse. And yes I'm going with retracts. That's another story unto itself, as I'm pretty sure the original had telescopic struts. Fun, fun, fun...

Again, I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Always good to compare approaches.

Best of luck!

Rob
stangrob is online now Find More Posts by stangrob
Last edited by stangrob; Jun 08, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 09:00 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,028 Posts
HellRazor,

One other thing for now. I found that model rocket tubes, such as the phenolic ones for mid-power rockets, come in just the right size at 1/8th scale for use as the prop extension housings. Not sure how you were going to do that part, but since it's a very vunerable part of the airframe I wanted to make sure I had something durable. Also since the CG for this airframe is so far forward you can afford a little extra strength since the weight is in the right place

Rob
stangrob is online now Find More Posts by stangrob