HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2007, 03:26 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,693 Posts
Build Log
Finished footy finaly

Ok, I started this nearly a year ago, I final finished it enough to go sailing. So I took it to work and sailed at smoko, which was the original plan to start with when I started building it. Its a Razor design, with Microsailors bendy wire rig I started with a swing rig with ball bearings in the mast tube but the swing rig got the better of me so when I saw Bretts elegant rig I got re motivated and finished her off , I used a micro servo for the rudder utilising the whip staff arrangement and a standard servo with a arm for the winch, Didn't modify the travel at all just worked out how much travel was required and drilled arm to suit. The sail is drafting film ex. top of a IOM main that I made. It is too heavy at 80gsm, I said to the wife I have to go to a florist shop, she got all excited until I told he why . the rig is 1.6 stainless welding wire, a balsa composite mast( balsa 6mm square, stripped in half then carbon fibre sandwiched between half's, CA'ed together and sanded round) and a bit of carbon fishing pole for the boom The keel is just a lump of brass hex until I get a lead one sorted, Its 180 gm's, the whole boat is 488 gm's in sailing trim but I should be able to shave some of that off and add it to the keel.
A couple of photos sailing off Maritimo Offshore's production wharfs.
Regards
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2007, 04:14 AM
UK Footy Class Secretary
Joined Aug 2006
342 Posts
Nice. Whipstaffs are ggod aren't they?Love to see some pics of how you've pit yours together.

A.
Angus R is offline Find More Posts by Angus R
Old Oct 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,693 Posts
Aus 21

I have officially registered my boat, now all I need to do is make a sail with the numbers on it. The registrar has informed me there is now 22 boats registered in Australia, slow start but gaining momentum.
regards
Nick.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,693 Posts
Photos from a windy day

Here are some photos from a windy day 30 plus Kt gusts Ive got 3 videos of the same day I will try to upload
Regards
Nick
Video here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...27#post8393242
Last edited by nick_75au; Oct 20, 2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 05:32 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
sensational nick!!!

where are you in oz??

i use 1.5mm titanium wire in the 507 footy kits, if its any help for your rig instead of stainless let me post some to you!

andrew

victoria!
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old Oct 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,693 Posts
Hi Andrew,
Im up in Brisbane, What's the advantage of the titanium wire? I guess its stronger and lighter? does it have the same properties in regards to the torsional stiffness required for the Brett's rig. I've found mine to be too bendy in light conditions but I thought that the same set-up in the conditions in the second set of pictures was good? I want to use some carbon rod or tube in the next rig.
Regards
Nick
Old Oct 20, 2007, 06:33 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
pretty much weight, and with carbon as well you will save a lot!!

ac
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:45 PM
Joined Jul 2007
70 Posts
my rig in Moonshdow (partly built by me, partly by Brett) is a 1.6 mm S/S wire, 3 mm carbon tube mast and 1 mm cardon rod boom. It's probably a bit soft, but Moonshadow is very stiff.

A.
angus Richardson is offline Find More Posts by angus Richardson