HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2007, 08:56 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Discussion
USB Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher mod shoots down RC Micro RTF Planes and Choppers

Flying a toy plane or helicopter around the house can be fun but why not take it to the next step?

I modified a USB Missile Launcher by adding a toy machine gun that emits an interference signal when fired. The working lights and sound machine gun makes it even more authentic. It can shoot modified foam missiles with precision and distance. All commands are relayed via the mouse or keyboard.

Indoor RC surface-to-air combat is now operational and very entertaining indeed.

USB Gun Video

There is quite an interesting story behind this. I was working in a big old Toyshop a few months back and my job was selling pens. Yep, coloring pens, I did this all day and it was quite fun actually. On my tea-break I would head over to the RC dept. and demonstrate some RC planes and Helicopters to the customers. At the time they had some Picooz's and I thought I don't need 2 get paid 2 fly Picoo-z's around a huge shop floor, I like it lots and so do the customers and managers (I would sell them like hot-cross buns being served to really hungry people) . The shop only had about 400 Genuine Silverlit Picooz's and we sold the lot in about 5 days. So now I am expecting a re-order the next week but nothing. One month later out of like nothing I see clone Picoo's on the shop floor and so I start to ask the managers what the dealy is. Turns out this company called 'Overbreak' bought a bundle in and decided to start selling there.
Overbreak also happens to be my sales competition and they sell crap toys that always break hence their name, 'Overbreak'. Spinmaster sued Overbreak years back when the Vectron Ultralite came out, Overbreak were selling clone Vectrons called 'Hovercopters'....Find out more about the wickedl Overbreak empire here
I realized my sales would dip if Overbreak sold those clones because both our products were in a similar price range and the evil tentacles of Overbreak's product line were invading my selling space. Over two days they sold hundreds of clones and killed my sales because they employed several salespeople to demonstrate for customers. I realized this was a serious problem so I went home and had a good think.
With a bit of thought and build-time I put together a clone TX jamming device and mounted this on a RC car. The idea was to ‘shoot down’ the clone copters by emitting an infra-red TX signal on the same clone frequency when triggered by a separate servo activated by a non-interfering signal. A few of my friends in the shop also helped me organize this to ensure success and secrecy. After a few test shots I moved the gear into position and methodically and with precision shot down every clone copter that I saw. It was fun and absolutely fantastically funny watching their clone choppers drop like marbles and for a few hours this carried on until Overbreak realized something was up and stopped demonstrating them for the day.

Mission successful.

But now there is a twist………

The next day I come in ready to set up my gear when I see Overbreak staff freaking out. Turns out a member from Silverlit found about their clones and threatened to sue them. Overbreak agreed and removed all clones from the shop floor so they wouldn’t get their sorry bottoms sued again The Silverlit guy apparently found out when he was shopping with his family in another store the day before and saw that Overbreak were selling clones there also so he called in the legal re-inforcements.

So you see, sometimes when you put your mind to it things can have a very interesting and happy ending…
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
Last edited by Electronick; Jun 03, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:12 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Such a cool story Nick!
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hello again.
Corona, California
Joined Aug 2006
538 Posts

Wow! Nice idea!
Now if we can up the scale to warbirds....
f-22 maniac is offline Find More Posts by f-22 maniac
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:16 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Most entertaining video and even more so story I've seen/read in a long time! Thanks.
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:28 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Not be throw cold water on a fun idea, but this could be the beginning of the end! Just imagine this being used by "pranksters" near your local flying field!

Or is this actually a plot to make us all buy spread spectrum stuff now?
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Bob, it's only infra-red. Not 72Mhz. I'd be the least bit concerned if people started using infrared beams to interfere with a .60 sized plane. The R/C car aspect was much different.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:45 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Great story Electronick

Cool Gun too

I had just finished helping Spinmasters do the commercial for the havoc back before Christmas. So I knew that they had bought the distribution rights other then Radio Shack selling the original Picco Z. I had went into the mall and saw all those con artist selling the knock offs in the those little mall booths everywhere. I was really upset about seeing all those , I sure could have used that device that day at least. Sure would have been funny .

I have also heard about the vectron clone problem they went through. You will be happy to know that the original inventor did receive some reimbursement from the spinmaster Lawsuit with them from what I was told.
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:05 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Electronick you never cease to amaze me. Your the Willy Wonka of toys
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jun 04, 2007, 03:17 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Apr 2007
9 Posts
That is a fantastic story The pretty awesome too
TyedyeTDP is offline Find More Posts by TyedyeTDP
Old Jun 04, 2007, 03:26 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
I'm also working to make the RC Micro Tank combat ready. I think this time I might use the Aerosoar since the TX board is pretty compact and could be modified to be installed in the tank. The infra-red LED would be wired up to the muzzle tip and configured to shoot tank rounds or machine gun fire. If you watched the first post video to the end you would see the tank I'm talking about, the cute and fun sound effects make it worth the work. The Aerosoar only needs about 0.5 seconds of rudder input from a second same freq. TX to shoot it down so this would go well with the tank shells. Machine gun blasts could configured to have a range less than that of the shells to create a challenge in shooting down the Aerosoarer. The Infra-red LED can be engineered to shoot a straight beam and not all over the place, so one would need skill to actually make a 'kill'.

I already started on the tank by losing the 3.6v 120 mah Nimh battery and installing a single Lipo cell with 150mah. The Nimh was to big and only gave 5 minutes of go time. The Lipo gives a good 10 mins and takes up less space.
Space is still very tight inside and I am not sure how to put a whole Aerosoar TX board inside. I am sure someone here has a better idea to create a compact home-made jamming beam. The soon-2-B-released Battle Choppers from Airhogs/Silverlit would be a useful toy to explore this concept even more.
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hello again.
Corona, California
Joined Aug 2006
538 Posts
Battle choppers eh???
Sounds interesting
f-22 maniac is offline Find More Posts by f-22 maniac
Last edited by f-22 maniac; Jun 04, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2007, 09:29 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
dude i wanna make that gun lol good work
thatd be sweet get a few tanks goin
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Jun 05, 2007, 10:39 AM
My planes have left thrust :s
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Sep 2005
1,850 Posts
i sure wish that could work with the x twin , if you could mount it in a gun go in a big hall and shoot them down
vanepico is offline Find More Posts by vanepico
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:18 AM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
mate that's fully mad stuff, good work!
jimbyjoe is offline Find More Posts by jimbyjoe
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
LOL That is the greatest! Keep up the good fight sir. I have seen a R/C missile battery launcher in the Tower cataloge that fires foam missiles. I believe that would be a great platform for your AAA gun. If I can find a link to it I will post FYI. Great Job though, Love it!
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1