SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2007, 07:30 AM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,169 Posts
Discussion
IHLGF Poway - Updates

We have some of the running scores being posted on the UK forum for those that are interested.

http://www.flyquiet.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=758.0
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:38 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Thanks Richard!

GO OLEG!!!!

I gotta root for my home field pilot!
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:54 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,152 Posts
Was wondering if someone was posting results. Hang in there Red!!!! (Adam)
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:36 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,359 Posts
Just got off the phone with Mike Smith. Phil Barnes won, with Joe in second. Only other placing I'm sure of was Mike S in 8th.

Congrats Phil!!!!

dp
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jun 03, 2007, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,035 Posts
I think it went
1.Phil
2. Joe
3. Paul Anderson
4. Oleg
5. Adam Weston
6, Michael Stern
7. Drela
8. Smith
9.Tom Kiesling
10. Aurthur Markiewicz

The 2007 IHLGF was fantastic as usual. It ran like a clock from beginning to end. Made lots of new friends again this year and had a blast learning by watching the best for 3 days. I'll post some pics later and a video when I figure out how to.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Last edited by ClayH; Jun 04, 2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Idiot
Joined Apr 2006
248 Posts
I went out to meet Doug and pick up a wing and ended up staying until the very last rounds. it was a great day of flying and it was just fantastic to see so many skilled pilots chucking planes and chasing thermals, and at times chasing planes on the ground before the dust devils got them. there was one pilot who went long and low, it looked lost but he never gave up and fought it back to the field, truly amazing stuff.

anyway, here are a couple of pics from today.

edit: and here are some vids on the tube:

poway 2007 hlg (0 min 28 sec)

Poway 2007 DLG (0 min 48 sec)

Poway 2007 IHLGF (0 min 21 sec)

Poway 2007 IHLGF (0 min 14 sec)

rich
skeletor is offline Find More Posts by skeletor
Last edited by skeletor; Jun 04, 2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2007, 01:56 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,983 Posts
The total score is at http://rcsoaring.com/scores/07ihlgf.pdf

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Jun 04, 2007, 05:45 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,907 Posts
What was going on in round 5? Some very good fliers only scored 500 points in that round.
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 04, 2007, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,035 Posts
Gary asks
Quote:
What was going on in round 5? Some very good fliers only scored 500 points in that round.
Very high wind and skechy lift. It was ugly!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jun 04, 2007, 10:56 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
To all: this was a great experience to fly with all you great people. My personally designed plane was launching terribly and to say the least I was not prepared. But the event was so fun and everybody was so nice, I am glad I did'nt miss it. Poway is so scenic compared to Az, and the lift was so great at times my buddies said a bowling ball would fly in some of the stupid lift. I guess my plane was heavier then that.

Thanks for the great time and hopefully with my Purchase of a Vandal on Saturday, I will be more competitive next time, but regardless....Thanks for the Great attitudes and organized event.
Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Jun 04, 2007, 11:10 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
... Purchase of a Vandal on Saturday, I will be more competitive next time, but regardless....Thanks for the Great attitudes and organized event.
Doug

Welcome to the Vandal Horde.

But seriously, glad you came down.

vandal henchman-Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jun 05, 2007, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,060 Posts
Uh-oh, Doug bought a Vandal... With that arm, I will have to take up stamp collecting.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Jun 05, 2007, 02:01 PM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
Poway is so scenic compared to Az, and the lift was so great at times my buddies said a bowling ball would fly in some of the stupid
Doug
I don't know how my bowling ball will take that comment. LoL. Wish I didn't have to miss it. Guess I'll have to go next year.
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:35 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
The Flyoff Rounds

The flyoff rounds were preceded by a special pilot's meeting. The purpose of the pilot's meeting was to discuss some new rules that would apply to the flyoff rounds. The new rules modified the existing no-fly zone. The no-fly zone would be enlarged for the flyoffs. The attached picture of the Poway field shows the no fly zones. The red lines show the standard Poway no fly zone. The Yellow lines show the enlarged no fly zone used for the preliminary rounds of the IHLGF. The blue lines show the added no fly zone used for the flyoff rounds. The new no fly zone prohibited all downwind flying on the South side of the field and prohibited downwind flying beyond the row of Eucalyptus trees downwind of the center of the field. If you wanted to chase thermals very far downwind you would need to chase down the North Edge of the field. This rule very effectively eliminated any possibility of using slope lift from the famous hill that is downwind of the South side of the field and provided a very strong incentive to look for lift on the North edge of the field.

The following are just my perceptions of what happened. I'm sure I'll get some details wrong and would be happy to hear corrections from those who were there but I think the general feel for the events will be correct.

Round 11, 5 X 2

Not surprisingly, everyone launched at the start of the round and flew to the North edge of the field in search of lift. Lift was found and everyone happily climbed and drifted downwind for about a minute. The second minute of the task saw most planes marching in a neat procession back West (upwind) to see if there might be another safe thermal to use for the next two minute max. Happily there was more lift to be had there so everyone just repeated this excercise three more times. The fourth return trip indicated that the free ride might be over. The air was not so happy on the North edge any more. Ground indications (still wind, warm air), however, indicated that lift was building on the field itself. Everyone in the group launched directly upwind or overhead and began looking/waiting for the thermal to break. The thermal was not cooperating though, prefering to stay firmly anchored to mother earth. The result was a group of DLG models searching in various directions for some bit of air that might be releasing from the ground in time to salvage a max. I found myself using a shameful tactic for a brief moment. I was happy to see Joe Wurts' Blaster wandering in search of a thermal just as I was doing. I figured, what the heck?, maybe Joe knows where the thermal will be. So I followed him. This didn't last long, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. I eventually decided my best bet would be to focus on my own model in hopes of better reading the lift signals from my own plane. The result was predictable and the result that one should expect in such a situation. Joe maxed his flight while I landed 22 seconds short of the max. Only Joe, Oleg and Paul Anderson maxed this flight while everyone else took a small beating.

Round 12, three threes

This was the round that really shook things up and did the most to decide the outcome of the contest.

During the prep time preceeding the start of working time there were some pretty obvious signs indicating that a thermal was building and getting ready to release from the field. Just as in the end of the previous round, the wind was laying down and the air was warm. I even detected a slight shift of my wind streamer (you know, that silly plastic streamer on my transmitter antenna) towards the South. I even said out loud to Aradhana (my timer for the flyoffs) that I didn't like to see that shift to the South. I had no desire to mess with the no fly zone. I didn't want to have to look for lift upwind of the no fly zone and risk becoming trapped, forced to leave lift that had no need to obey no fly zones.

As prep time marched on and the ground signs continued to indicate upwind and to the South, I did likewise. I walked upwind and hedged South a bit as I walked. Joe wurts and I eyed each other as we both did the same thing. Who would launch first and be a Guinea Pig for the rest of the group? My impatience got the better of me as it often does. I saw Joe going into a wind up for his throw as I went into my throw. This was within a few seconds of the start of working time. I think I launched first. Joe may have launched at the same time or maybe he was just faking a launch to see if he could get me to launch first. There was an extra minute of working time beyond the nine minutes of possible flying time so there is some strategy to think about when deciding when to launch. You could wait for someone else to launch and mark the thermal for you but if you use up all of the slack time before the first throw then you might be wishing for that time later in the round for the other two throws. The lift indications were obvious enough that I decided to launch early (or I was just stupidly impatient).

I very soon began to regret my impatience and asked myself why I had just volunteered to be the Guinea Pig for the entire group. Pretty soon the South side of the field upwind of the nasty no fly zone was filled with DLG models aimlessly wandering about waiting for this thermal to break loose. I listened to Aradhana giving me time reports on my sinking flight which I understood to be strong hints that I could land and relaunch (and eat the 30 second penalty for an extra launch) and still have enough time to fly the three threes. I was stuborn enough to continue my wandering and waiting ways until I got down to maybe 20' (7meters) of altitude. At that time I blundered into a little bit of air that had decided to release and begin the big lift cycle that we were all waiting for. I rolled the TabooGt into some tight circles and immediately realized that this happy little bit of lift had a very finite span of useful life. The no fly zone was close downwind of where I was circling. I began running as fast as I could while continuing my RC piloting duties. I needed to be in line with the telephone pole that marked the beginning of the no fly zone. I intended to get as much altitude as I could before being forced to bail out of the drifting thermal. As my circling model got close to the forbidden air beyond the telephone pole I rolled wings level and punched upwind to see if there might be some rising air left that was still upwind of the no fly zone. I got a couple more good circles before being forced to fly parallel to the no fly zone on a heading of North. I wasn't too awfully concerned at this point. My wind streamer was indicating some significant drift now to the Northeast. This indicated to me that there was a good likelyhood of finding more up air if I could just fly North a bit and turn the corner around the no fly zone and head East towards the line of Eucalyptus trees.

I turned the corner and immediately began circling again since the air looked good. The air was nice but it was occupied by another model already. A small midair collision occurred at that point. It turned out to be Tom Kiesling's model that I bumped into. Fortunately we both continued flying. The remainder of my first three minute flight was less eventful, simply consisting of scratcthing around and waiting for the max.

The problem with that kind of flight is that there is no chance to scout the air for the next throw. So I hesitated before launching again. I didn't wait long though. I got some inspiration to launch towards the North edge of the field that had been so good for four of the five twos in round 11. I think I saw one other model in the area which may have influenced my decision. The air was OK at first but not really climbing, just maintaining. I continued farther North and started some circles. Still the climb rate was not very strong, maybe not climbing at all. I continued my drifting circles in hopes that the lift would develop into something stronger. It didn't. I needed a new plan since I couldn't go much farther downwind without climbing. My downwind drift had the model close to the horse coral area Northeast of the flying field. Anyone familiar with the Poway field knows this area as a thermal nursery. Thermals just love to break loose and climb out of this corner of the field. I also noticed that there were a number of models high and in lift to the East and downwind of the horse coral. Hmmm...The thermal nursery is working. I believe these models were ones that had landed early on the first three minute flight and had found a thermal on the second throw that carried them to where I saw them. That was convenient for me. I decide to break free from my neutral air and head South on a line that would take me over the horse coral and in front of the climbing models. This worked as I found some remnants of their thermal at my lower altitude. It was remnant lift though and not all that strong but it was drifting fast. I decided to play it safe rather than risking an out landing and I headed back for the field. I flew through quite a bit of sink on the return trip and had to keep pushing the nose over to get through the sink fast. This resulted in me landing a few seconds early on this flight.

I picked up my model and had every intention of waiting for someone else to launch first for the third flight. This quickly turned into something like a game of chicken as everyone else had the same game plan. We all just looked at each other and waited. Mike Smith decided to be the gentleman Guinea Pig this time. He launched to the North. The air looked good so the rest of us took an easy three from the thermal he found.

Round 13, 4,3,2,1 minute maxes

On the first throw of this round everyone went North, found a big thermal and flew the four minute flight. The second throw offered some intrigue. I don't remember a lot about it except that I didn't find much lift. I wandered around a bit in a generally downwind direction. I was just flying from place to place. I think I was checking out the air around other models on the assumption that guys in the flyoffs are generally flying where there is lift. I supose that there wasn't much lift around since I checked two or three different areas that contained at least one DLG and was forced to leave when no lift was found. I eventually decided to take a two minute flight and return to the field. As I was landing I noticed two DLGs in what looked like good air directly overhead. I launched directly overhead and began circling with them. The air wasn't so great so I bugged out downwind and began another aimless search. I ended up near the horse coral and decided my best option would be to check the thermal nursery again. This time I was just in time to be in on a major thermal birth. The Taboo was yanked up by it's nose and rocketed skyward by a very strong thermal. My spirits rose at the same rate as my model since this most certainly meant that I would win this contest. The three minute flight was now assured and only the easy one minute flight would be needed after that. I attempted some celebratory whooping noises that came out sounding really lame. I guess I should have taken that bottle of water that Atradhana offered me before the flyoffs. He is a very thorough and thoughtful timer who even foresaw the need for a moist throat capable of celebratory whooping
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jun 05, 2007, 07:25 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
Aradhana laughed so hard I thought he might pass out

It was Sunday morning and I had just watched a flight group flying the dreaded, awful ladder task of round seven. It was quite remarkable because I had just witnessed something I never expected to see in my entire life. Could it really be true that Joe Wurts just dropped not one but two flights of the ladder task, failing to make his 1 minute 45 second flight after two attempts? Not only that but Paul Anderson failed to make his 2 minute flight of the ladder in the same group. A little snooping around indicated that someone else in that same group had indeed flown the full ladder through and including the two minute flight. That person was the young Allen "AJ" McGowen. So my two chief rivals just took a big hit. This was quite remarkable and led to some discussions among we spectators. I got carried away with my gleeful discussions and realized that I should not be revelling in other people's shortcomings. I became worried that some bad karma would befall me and I might suffer a similar fate when my turn came to fly that same task. So I turned to Aradhana for help. After spending the better part of a week with him in Germany I came to know him as a very spiritual person with great compassion for his fellow man. I simply asked if he could offer some advice as to what I could say or do to fend off the bad karma that might befall me for having ever so briefly revelled in the bad luck of my fellow competitors. This is what sent Aradhana into a fit of laughter. When he finally recovered he simply said that he had done all he could for me while we were together in Germany and could offer no further assistance. My fate was sealed.

My turn came to fly the ladder task. I took two attempts to make the 1 minute 45 second flight and so had insufficient time to do the two minute flight. In my same flight group was Mark Drela and also Mike Smith, two other top ten pilots who failed to make the two minute flight. I began to think that I might have survived intact since I couldn't find anyone in my group who had completed the two. It turns out that someone did though. I think the someone was AJ's dad, Bob McGowan. So the McGowans collectively took a bite out of at least five of the ten flyoff pilots. Spooky stuff, huh?
Phil Barnes is online now Find More Posts by Phil Barnes