HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2001, 01:19 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,287 Posts
Couple issues that might lead you to choose a softer Kv motor. Do you ever want to run more than 8 cells? That motor would be well over 40K on 10 cells which is a little fast IMHO.

The other thing is what is the no-load current on that motor? I don't know, but generally it gets higher as the Kv goes up and may be in the range of 3.5-4 amps. If you are only running in the low to mid 20 amp range then a motor with such a high Io (no load current) is not desireable, the extra couple amps just goes to heat.

I think there is a 500-27 which should be OK with a 22 or 24 tooth pinion. You possibly would need to make up a new motor mount plate though. I'm in the process of installing an Aveox motor with a Kv of just under 2600 in my Voyager. I got it installed last night with a 22 tooth pinion and ran it up without the main rotor blades attached, full throttle was 1800 head speed on 8 cells so i think with the blades on it will be in the 1600-1700 range which should work.

Why run it with no blades? Cause I started going through a freeing up the ball links using the squeeze technique and promptly broke 2 out of three! I'm waiting for replacement links now as well as the sizing tool, hopefully they will arrive in the mail today. Incedently it takes 60-75 watts to turn the mechanics and tail rotor at 1600 rpm and hover pitch on the tail. I started at 75 and then got it to go down to the 60-65 range by lossening the belt tension some.

FWIW, I am not too experienced at Heli's but have 20 years E-flight experience and know a thing or two about motors...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2001, 12:25 AM
San Francisco, CA USA
Joined Sep 2000
72 Posts
Kontronik FUN-series motor in Voyager E?

Has anyone tried using the new Kontronik FUN-series brushless motor in the Voyager E?

I realize everyone has been using the Hacker B40-9L or similar, which has a Kv of 3750 rpm/volts. But I want to try a Kontronik motor because I really like the other Kontronik equipment I have (very high quality).

I was thinking of the FUN 500-48, which has a Kv of 4800 rpm/volt. With a 15 tooth pinion, that is 1800 RPM head speed (approx.) with 8-cells at full throttle. It is slightly heavier at 185g vs. 175g.

Thanks in advance for any response.

--Anil
e-heli is offline Find More Posts by e-heli
Old May 17, 2001, 01:22 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,401 Posts
One advice: dump those JR links. JR makes good helis, but those links are horrible. People have been complaining about them since the first Ergo came out. They break easy when squeezed, and will not seat correctly without manual resizing using JR's tool.
I have built various helis in the past, and the best links are the ones from Kalt. They are white in color, and will fit onto JR's balls. I am using them on my Voyager (and all other helis). The black ones on Thunder Tiger Raptors are great, too.

Sorry to be off topic. I have responded to Anil's post on Voyager list. Kontronik motors are made by Hacker so no problem with quality.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old May 17, 2001, 04:38 AM
Germany, Rottenburg
Joined Jan 2000
165 Posts

Quote:
Sorry to be off topic. I have responded to Anil's post on Voyager list. Kontronik motors are made by Hacker so no problem with quality.

Wrong!
Michael Franz is offline Find More Posts by Michael Franz
Old May 17, 2001, 07:58 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Michael, since you are undoing what is often repeated as "common knowledge" "over here", could you elaborate a bit? Are they the same motors? Does Kontronik make Hacker motors?

You weren't refering to the off-topic part, right?

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old May 18, 2001, 12:17 AM
Germany, Rottenburg
Joined Jan 2000
165 Posts
Quote:
Are they the same motors? Does Kontronik make Hacker motors?
No
Michael Franz is offline Find More Posts by Michael Franz