HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:06 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Gallery
Chris-Craft Triple Cockpit Runabout

Photos of my Triple, The Artful Dodger. There are some of her in the water in Florida, detail photos and some that show how I made the cutwater from brass.

By the way, please pardon the dust on the boat. It's a bit hard to keep it totally clean in my office even though I keep a plexiglass cover on it.

Kip
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Last edited by oldtribefan; Jun 02, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:34 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,864 Posts
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 02, 2007, 10:18 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Really love the old Chris-Craft speedboats. Even more beautifully finished than a real one, though it looks very real. You did a magnificent job. What a treat!!!!!!!
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Jun 03, 2007, 12:50 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Thanks, ClipperBill and Kmot.

Kip
Old Jun 03, 2007, 01:17 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
all I can say is WOW
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 03, 2007, 07:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Marvelous.
But once again, you're not off the hook!
- Padding around cockpit: Please tell me that's not real padded leather with real seams! If so, HOW????
- Cutwater: I wish I was a tinsmith, and could beat those compound curves into metal. What sort of tools do you find useful?

Jack Kipfer described making his cutwaters from stainless or aluminum... he makes a butterfly pattern, halves joined at the upper end, then silver or aluminum solders along the lower edge, then filed and polished to shape... seems to work.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 03, 2007, 10:16 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,864 Posts
Quote:
Note the boat registration on the side. It is actually made for this boat in 1/8 scale.
Quote:
Steering wheel is Dumas rim with SS spokes added, center hub made with throttles. The wheel turns with the rudder, but, as on the originals, the throttles do not turn.
Quote:
I also made my own Union Jack and Chris-Craft pennants. I did not like the way the Dumas flags were stiff.
Quote:
I did my own gold leafing on the name.
Quote:
Cockpit showing gimballed compass, key and instruments.
Quote:
Engine compartment showing scale hull plate with assigned hull serial number and engine plate in 1/8 scale.
Quote:
Scrap cutwaters - learning to shape and solder compound curved brass.
All these details and more, are just mind boggling!

I am guessing you hand carved the scale driver and it is a likeness of yourself?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 03, 2007, 10:52 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Pat,

Padding around cockpit: Although the seats are done in red leather, I ran out of material before doing the cockpit padding. I knew I did not want to use the black vacuum hose Dumas gives you, though, so I found some red vinyl that matched the color of the leather. The way I did the padding took a lot of material, so using the vinyl was a much less expensive way to go. There are seams in the padding, however what you see is red electrical wire insulation (wire removed) that also matched the color of the leather and vinyl. I used the same insulation to do the piping around the edge of the padding. The real trick was routing a rabbet around each cockpit to lower the height of the padding. I had to make what I call a “boat vise” to precisely hold the boat in place and position routing templates above each cockpit to do the routing (there was not enough of an edge to use a ball bearing guided router bit.) But at least I designed the vise to be adjustable enough that I can use it on any other boats I make.

Cutwater: Jack’s cutwaters are much better than mine and look like what I really wanted to make. I could not form the brass to a knife edge fine enough to solder the edge and sand it down without cutting all the way through the thickness of brass that I was using. Part of my problem was my soldering skills: once I “tack” soldered the seam I would need too much heat to solder the next area causing the tack to melt. Now I have a resistance soldering unit and find that, done properly, I can avoid that problem. If I used a heavier gage of brass it might have worked better. So mine are made from three parts (right, left and center) and if you look at the photos of the finished boat you can see that I used 1/8” brass angle as the center with the right and lefts soldered to it.

Tools for cutwater: wooden dowels, xacto knife handles, pliers, fingers to form the brass to the shape I wanted. Wooden dowels are great – use them and a rubber sanding block (sanding block on the bench, brass on the block and using various diameter dowels to press/stroke on the brass will curve it nicely). Once you get the general shape, fingers can refine it. Then file and sand to get rid of the bumps you always have when you form metal.

Kmot: Thanks! And, yes, I sculpted my head (started with the head from a Jean Luc Picard action figure, made a resin copy of it, used auto body detail putty to add what I needed while looking into a mirror), made an RTV mold and cast it in resin. Actually I also made the pants, shoes (Sperry Top Siders, of course!), belt and glasses I am wearing in the boat. Cheated on the shirt, though by stealing a shirt from one of my son’s GI Joes and just altering it on the sewing machine. I find it odd that many boats are running without anyone driving, and figured if someone was going to drive The Artful Dodger it was going to be me after all the work that I had put into it!

Kip
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
196 Posts
Wow

I shall address you as MISTER oldtribefan after seing the quality of your work. That's one awesome boat, Sir.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:47 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Ha, ha! Thanks Mister Cold Duck!

Kip
Old Jun 03, 2007, 07:45 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,647 Posts
WOW does not cover it. Incredible. That is one fine piece of floating art work. I did a triple myself right after the kit came out. I was going to post some pictures of it but after seeing what you did I think I will pass.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:04 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I wish I had the patience, not to mention the talent.Fine work sir.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
A beautiful nautical work of art - and it works!
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Had a chance to stop by OldTribeFan's house... wanted to share just ONE picture (for now).

The gas cap (original) would be cast, with cast-in lettering (I ferget what it says...). OTF machined the cap (including the nice knurl), then home-photoetched the lettering into the cap- a technique I've NEVER seen before!

Pat M

p.s., this in on the Cobra, not the Triple...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
way to kool what a great piece of work - this would be a good Jack rival.

Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003