Old Dec 08, 2007, 06:49 AM
Electric powered
Spain, Community of Madrid, Madrid
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross1
Hi Ariel,

Question for you, some of the earlier comments about the aerofever ASW-28 indicated that this model was molded in a way that the stabilizer fin was not quite perpendicular to the wings. See Thread #29 from Salisbug http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=694339&page=2

Can you confirm if this is still an issue in your model or do you think that it has now been corrected? From your photos, it appears pretty good but there's nothing like a measurement to be sure .

Maybe Dave (CygnusX1) could also comment on his observation with his version?

Another question, How do you recommend to reinforce the tail boom (i.e. the narrow fuselage portion between the canopy and the tail)?

Thanks for any education you can provide us with.
cheers,
Dave
My fuselaje is correct. From pictures I saw in the thread, the problem of misalignment doesn't look like a mold problem, but rather a glue problem when they fit both halves. If you remove the piece from the mold before is 100% cured and store it in a way it is not 100% straight, you will get what have been reported by some users. So I would not presume they corrected any problem, but probably having more care but there still chances to get a wrong fuselaje.

BTW I think the fuselaje is made with fiber glass and poliester, not epoxy. Texture is not that from epoxy. It is relevant because poliester resin is easier to deform if the cure is not 100% done before removing from mold.

I am not sure if I need to reinforce the tail, it is already reinforced. I will wait till everything is in place and, if it is nose heavy, will use some foam to reinforce, otherwise I won't.
arocholl is offline Find More Posts by arocholl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:37 PM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Everything in place for a CG and weight test: With a 3S 3300 it gets tail heavy, so I need to add some nose weigth that in my case will be a separated NiMh for the receiver and servos, thus the ESC will be opto.

Now the bad news: with the steel rod and centered I get heavier AUW than expected: 2200grs

It will fly, but will be faster than I expected. I have ordered a 8mm carbon rod to compare.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:18 AM
What goes up ...
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Mar 2007
101 Posts
Hi Ariel,

From your photos, I can't see any ventilation openings for cooling of the electronics. Is the fuselage ventilated to help cool the motor?

Do you think that this may be necessary, or is it a waste of time for sailplanes since the motor is mostly off?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave
Albatross1 is offline Find More Posts by Albatross1
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:05 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross1
From your photos, I can't see any ventilation openings for cooling of the electronics. Is the fuselage ventilated to help cool the motor?

Do you think that this may be necessary, or is it a waste of time for sailplanes since the motor is mostly off?
No vents opening required in this setup IMHO. A brushless like the one I will use will be on about 20secs every 2-5 minutes. Plus remember NiMH and Lipo likes warm temperature (although not hot) to work efficiently. With the huge cabin area there is plenty of space to cool down with the internal air.

If you open your fuselaje to add vents, do two very small ones, 3-5mm diameter should be enough but be sure to close them on winter if you use Lipo or NiMh.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Maiden Flight

Hello,

Today maiden Flight from my ASW-28 Electro.
Everything was ok!
Weight 2250 gram.

Setup:
Mega 600/20/8
prop 12 x 6
3SLipo

greatings,

Kees
pl119 is offline Find More Posts by pl119
Old Dec 16, 2007, 02:17 PM
What goes up ...
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Mar 2007
101 Posts
Hi Kees,
Congratulations, it looks great. Can you tell us a little more about your model and how you'll be flying it?

Did you build it as an electric conversion or did you by the electric fuselage like Arocholl?

Did you have any quality issues? Was the elevator parallel to the wings right out of the box?

What was the most difficult part of your assembly?

What are the control surface travels that you have set up?

Where do you fly and how strong are the winds?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Dave
Albatross1 is offline Find More Posts by Albatross1
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Asw-28

Hello Dave ( and others )

I bought the ASW as a sailplane in Germany. 140euro.
Just cut off the nose, made 2 degrees domp/down and glued in the motorholder ( dont know the word )
Everything in the kit was as it should be. The tail was straight.
It was an easy to build model. A lot of space in there!
I made the wing assemble not as described in the kit.
Not easy for me to explane how I did that, so I will make pictures.
It is a plug and play/fly setup......very handy!

The ASW fly's well in winds up to 4 BFT. You will need some space to land........It will not come down very fast. The rudder I use as brakes ( 40 degrees up ) ..u can see it on the pics.

greatings,

Kees
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:10 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
669 Posts
I'm jealous! Mine is still under construction. I have to work slowly because I have so many other things to do. I plan on test flying it this winter on the frozen lake after I take the EGE up for a few practice flights.

I laid in some light glass and epoxy on the top and bottom seams from the rear of the wing saddle up to the nose. I also scooped some epoxy into the tail area everywhere I could reach with my epoxy brush. I put in about three coats of epoxy inside the tail section under the vertical stab.

It's a 300 watt Scorpion motor setup to make about 200 watts on the prop. It's a very light motor and I hope it will be enough for me to climb out. I am in no rush.

Here are some progress photos. My plane came with a solid carbon rod.

-Dave
CygnusX1 is offline Find More Posts by CygnusX1
Last edited by CygnusX1; Dec 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:11 AM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Flaps

Before landing the ailerons go up abouth 40 degrees. This will slow down the speed of the ASW. Landing will be with acceptable speed then.

Kees
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:33 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
669 Posts
Tonight I weighed the plane with all the components on the scale. I got a total weight of 58.4ounces or 1655.6 grams!

Everything was included on the scale, plane, motor, prop spinner, lipo, servos, Rx, control horns, rods, canopy, extension cables, and esc. Excluded was the rudder control rod and the graupner wing electric connectors. It seems lighter than I expected.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Hi,

I don't know the word exactly, but the 8mm steal to hold the wings, did you replce that by carbon???
My ASW has a weight of 2250 gramm. Much more!!!

thx.

Kees
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:48 AM
Electric powered
Joined Sep 2005
812 Posts
Yes, I also doubt you can get a 1600gr motorized version, as that is the weight of the slope glider version using carbon rod. I would expect a minimum of 300gr more for an appropriate electrified version.

Can you double check the weight? Note is a large model with challenging shape to stabilize in a scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
669 Posts
I can weigh again tomorrow but I am almost positive 1665g AUW was correct. I am using a very light motor and esc combo and my battery is a 2200 Lipo. My "FlyFly" model 2.5meter ASW-28 from Hobby-Lobby came with a solid carbon wing rod.

The Scorpion motor is very light at 89grams and the ESC is 31grams. The Lipo is 179grams.

I will double check everything tomorrow. I hope it really is super light because I am going to thermal mostly.

-Dave
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Pretty..........

Because she is so pretty and flies very good!..
Merry Christmas!

Kees
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:15 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
669 Posts
Yes, I re-weighed everything and 1665grams AUW is correct.

(This was without nose weight except for the battery.)
Last edited by CygnusX1; May 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM.